LG110/Challenge trigger 2nd stage adjustment...

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by astra, Dec 1, 2019.

1. astra

astra Member

Hello,
    I want to shorten the travel of the 2nd stage and make it stop (to a dead end) much earlier than it is now. Unfortunately I could not find this feature and the corresponding screw. I believe I have seen this 2nd stage travel regulation on Anschutz and I really miss it a lot.
    Please, if Steyr has not foreseen this regulation, I would appreciate any suggestion how to make it.
    Thanks!

2. Total SS

Total SS Member

Steyr do not have a screw or an adjustable screw for the second stage travel.
    I have never had issues or felt that my second stage was long. The sear travel could be adjusted but this can cause other issues if not done correctly.

3. Simonix

Simonix Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT
    Interestingly, I altered mine to a single stage trigger. The overall travel is virtually non existent now.

Much prefer it.

lcp and astra like this.
  4. astra

astra Member

How did you do this alteration? I would much prefer very litlle travel too because the long travel as it is now, makes me somehow uncertain and twist my wrist.

5. Simonix

Simonix Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT
    Adjust the trigger screw that alters the 1st Stage travel, until it becomes single stage. Balance this adjustment with reducing the trigger pressure for 1st stage as well.

The grub screws are noted in the manual, or search google for the videos/instructions.

astra likes this.
  6. Total SS

Total SS Member

Yes you can remove the second stage all together. the adjustment screw just in front of the trigger blade is for the first stage travel, adjust this to the point the that there is little to no travel and this will then also remove the second stage once it becomes a single stage. the adjustment screw in the trigger guard is for the weight of the first stage.

astra likes this.
  7. astra

astra Member

I had a closer look at the trigger assembly of my Challenge. It appeared that tightening the screw for shortening the 1st stage travel it shortens the 2nd stage travel too.
    Eliminating the 1st stage has an effect of a tiny 2nd stage travel and is a really nice feeling of the overall trigger work...

Simonix likes this.
  8. tommylee

tommylee New Member

Please look at below pictures.
    4. this screw is adjustment of 1 stage travel
    1. this screw is adjustment of 2 stage travel ;)
    steyr trigger block.jpg

9. astra

astra Member

It is sealed with red seal. Could this mean "Do not touch" ?...

10. tommylee

tommylee New Member

Yes and not.

YES - because without red glue this screw is not stable in threads.
    Latches must always close the same way, then there will be no self-shooting.

NOT - because it is regulation of second stage travel.

11. astra

astra Member

Do you say that the 2nd stage travel can be adjusted to personal taste and just needs to glue the screw in the end?
    Because I asked Steyr for the 2nd stage travel and they wrote me it is not possible to adjust but advised me to send them the unit and they will drill a thread for additional adjustment screw. They have made this for several customers.
    Couldn't it be much easier to follow what you say - adjustment and re-glueing the red sealed screw...

12. AlexS

AlexS Active Member

The Steyr has a single stage trigger. There is some slack before the trigger moves the sear, that we commonly call "the first stage". "Second stage travel" is adjusted by screw #1 and in a real 2-stage-trigger is desired to be zero, nada, non existing. What astra may want is a overtravel adjustment/trigger stop after the shot release. Anschutz and FWB have it, but not Steyr.

You can put a screw in the grip, right behind the trigger to stop it. I use a bigger custom grip, that nearly touches the trigger.

13. astra

astra Member

This is exactly what I want :)
    And this is what I first imagined as a possible solution and definitely do not like. At least it will not look good ( to my opinion) :(

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  14. tommylee

tommylee New Member

Yes. Since 12 years i move this screw back and forward. Red glue is strong and you don't glued it every time.
    Long second stage is not good solution because you start concentrate at trigger not at target.

It is possible but for what? Pay extra money.
    They also afraid that someone can made wrong adjustment and gun start self-shooting.

Point number 7 - there's enough space for extra screw - second stage. 7 and 5 give you combination for real two-stage trigger. 5 exist but 7 you must made your own.
    I'm afraid that if you do a two-stage trigger after lightly pressing and releasing the trigger the latch does not return to its original place as for example in anschutz - ring number 8.
    Best solition is below.

You can do that but best set is screwing till gun self-shooting, then turn back 1/3.

You have right, it is not real two-stage trigger.

Best solution for made stop-trigger is add extra screw number 6.
    steyr trigger block.jpg
    I never made photo of stop-trigger but you can put it in place as you see at below pictures.
    Left or right rail doesn't matter, but not in the middle.
    IMG_20140731_163735.jpg

astra likes this.
  15. astra

astra Member

Thank you for the very good explanation!
    I'm afraid, I don't quite well understand how screw number 1 is functioning.
    What direction rotation will decrease the 2nd stage travel until the point of self-shooting is reached?

16. tommylee

tommylee New Member

About point 8
    Screwing the screw (to the right) will shorten the travel till self-shooting is reached, unscrewing the screw (to the left) will lengthen the travel.
    I hope that my drawing is readable :rolleyes:

Przechwytywanie.JPG

astra likes this.
  17. AlexS

AlexS Active Member

Has anyone investigated what the second screw in the trigger plate of the Steyr Challenge is for? Has anybody moved this screw in the meantime?

It looks suspiciously like tommylees screw #6. The new plate should be avaiable from Steyr and may fit in lg100 and lg110 as well. Can someone confirm that it is indeed a trigger stop?

[​IMG]

18. tommylee

tommylee New Member

This screw holds the trigger plate and the pin on the bearings.
    When you unscrew it you will be able to move the plate left or right and pull out the pin completely.

For stop-trigger you must made extra hole and give screw.

AlexS likes this.
  19. astra

astra Member

Please, excuse my ignorance but I have one more question about the 2nd stage adjustment with screw 8.
    Will the tightening of screw 8 just shorten the moment of releasing the shot or it will also shorten the physical movement of the trigger blade?
    What I really suffer is not just the long pressing until shot is released but the long travel of the blade until full stop. I imagine the moment of shot release and full stop of the trigger blade virtually to coincide. Think, this will give me much more certainty and concentration on the target...

20. tommylee

tommylee New Member

Correct.
    Shorten movement will made your fireing very fast.
    Don't be afraid to turn the screw, it's really easy.
    Remove the black plastic cover, pull the cocking lever and tighten the screw clockwise until the fall shot.

Unscrew the cylinder and do not put pellet in the barrel!!!

Not in first stage if you mean it.
    For this use screw nr. 4.

Precisely:)

astra likes this.