LG110 accuracy

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Rich3344, Sep 6, 2017.

1. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    I did ask in an earlier post to simply try through a chrono, with the pellet pusher, without the pellet pusher, same batch of pellets of course. In fact even better lets see some cards photographed and put up to demonstate the improvement. I will be gob smacked if there is any improvement at all.

2. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Phil
    Instead of taking the stabalizer out of the equation why not make an adjustable prob ?
    A small brass button with an m3 grub screw passing through it to seat the pellets before closing the breach .
    Can be adjusted to find the best depth and no harm done.

3. Total SS

Total SS Member

The pressurized air coming from the Reg does not fill the extra space. It does not have to fill the space as there is air there already. The air travels as a blast or pocket of air. The pocket of air travels the same distance from the reg to the end of the barrel. The fact that there is now no space for the air to pass the pellet around the skirt allows for a smaller pocket of air to be used to move the pellet. Smaller pocket of air equals less air.

Pressurized air travels together to does not start out slow and speed up. When the valve opens for the milli second the air that comes out travels together in one pocket. This air does not expand to fill the open space, it moves down the path as one pocket or ball of air. I had a toy that shot pockets of air upto 20feet.

The tests showed an increase in speed of 30fps in one rifle and 25fps in another rifle.

4. what barn door

Club:
    Kingsley
    Not quite, the space in the barrel is filled with air at 1 bar, the air entering is at aprox 85bar, when flowing into a chamber at a much lower pressure the 85 bar will drop pressure and the velocity will increase, so in effect you now have a chamber at a lower pressure. Secondly, when air or fluid is flowing with a static pressure it does indeed change velocity if it goes through a venturi, in the example of air guns they usually go through the equivelent of at least one. Testing that I have done with same rifle and skan chrono proves all of the above, however I have just re-done the tests and found that with two rifles there is only a small drop im MV and with another one a large drop in MV, I worked out that the initial chamber (straight after the reg) volume plays quite a big part in it.

However I could not find any improvement in fps with the pellet pushed in by 1mm in increasing steps. What I have found is that by using a home made tool to flare the skirt very slightly, it does increase MV by about 25-30 fps. This is not conclusive as yet but might be worth persuing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  5. what barn door

Club:
    Kingsley
    After further testing I have abandond the tool to flair the pellet skirt, it worked very weel but no significant gain in anything, maybe a little more MV but no better grouping or overall accuracy, ah well I tried.

6. sstyle

sstyle Member

Omg, guys, I got a new barrel from Steyr. It is really worse than old one. Group size is about 10cm at 55yrds... Unbelievable. Returned back my CZ barrel and now everything is OK, av group size is about 12mm

7. Rich3344

Rich3344 Member

Maybe it needs a really good clean?

Have you tried pushing a pellet down it with a rod? Is there a choke?

8. sstyle

sstyle Member

Yeah, I will try to clean it. It has a choke. Yes, I tried, nothing strange.

9. sstyle

sstyle Member

Guys, what else could affect on accuracy? So I have 4 barrels, new blueprinted reg from Chris, but still not satisfied with accuracy. What I have to check?

Here you can watch the video with my new LW Premium barrel, brand new, factory manufactured special for me.

Keypoints:
    5:00 loose the barrel at front mount
    6:26 fix it stronger that at begin of the video and after that groups become smaller

Out circle size is 1" or 25mm. Distance was 50m(~55yrd)

10. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Well it's not awful .
    I suppose the prudent approach would be .
    Just keep shooting lead through it or give it a light polish and then get plenty of lead through to take off any sharp edges off.

After that it's the long slog of finding a happy batch of pellets .

Give it time to settle in

sstyle likes this.
  11. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

H Dmitry, the group shape would say there's a barrel or pellet selection problem IMHO. Mechanical problems in a Steyr normally manifest themselves in dropped shots but yours are opening up the group high, low, left and right.

Later in the vid the groups start to get tighter?

12. sstyle

sstyle Member

Yeah, but I think that 10mm stable group size is possible.

What I think to do:
    - Cut the first 1 mm, because pellets goes too much deep now. And if I use my finger to put a pellets I see a space between the barrel and pellets skirts (btw: I see that some pellets drops deeper to the barrel, but some goes tighter (different head size from the one tin)) and left the space like in the photo above.
    - Cut the length to 470mm
    - Make the barrel a little bit thinner (to 15mm) under front "eight mount". I think it is much better when the barrel touch the chassis only at begin.

Chris, yes, right. Groups after 6:30 much better than before. At 6:26 I tighten the front screw.

Now I have 15 batches of 4.52 JSB Exact and tried 5 of them on target above

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  13. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Have you tried a barrel weight?....maybe there's some Harmonics and you have the perfect set up for experimenting. I've been meaning to try out a moveable barrel weight for a couple of years now but my groups are around the 10mm mark at 45 yards (shot prone) which is more than enough for HFT.

14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    The vertical displacement is likely to be the gun, not the barrel.

Run 50 shots over a chrono at 10 and 30 second intervals with the kept on a level, not moving it around each shot. Yes it will take some time.

sstyle likes this.
  15. sstyle

sstyle Member

Thanks. I will try today. But when I made video I did about 50-70 shots through chrono and speed was very stable 239-241m/s.

Also I heard that it is possible with new barrel and I have to do a 1000 shots before it leaded completely.

And I found that the first 50 shots goes lower on my previous barrel after cleaning

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  16. hmangphilly

Double check the recovery rate of the reg . Not by fps by pressure .

Double check for rubbing or scuffing on the hammer and the channel

Check hammer is straight

Double check stabiliser bearing bolt head for touching the hammer

17. RobF

Club:
    Yep, we had a gun that only showed 3-4 m/s total variation but it dropped shots. It was the hammer snagging.

The shots when you first start are really bad, what barrel was that?

18. sstyle

sstyle Member

Oh, I see. But how to check the hammer?

Did about 50 shots today. 239-241m/s

At begin of this thread it was original steyr long barrel and group size was 4cm. Then they exchange it to new one, also long. Group size was 2.5-3cm. I bought a CZ barrel and group size was 10-20mm. Now I tried a new barrel - LW Premium factory maded for me

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  19. RobF

Club:
    You need to inspect it visually. The bearings on the cocking bolt are a common culprit. They can come loose. Or they can just be close to the hammer and rub. If you put some black marker on the bottom of the bolt that supports them then fire a load of shots, the strip you can see if it has marked the ink. Otherwise you're looking for something in the hammer channel, dirt, burrs, grease, etc.

But for the trouble you've had with this gun, and the shots going so far wide and then vertical stringing to me it looks like the gun needs servicing by someone who knows what they are doing. Steyrs just don't shoot that bad. Something isn't right I'm afraid, but it could be anything. But groups going up and down to me has always been something to do with power and it's quite often the hammer (if the reg is running well).

20. hmangphilly

Check the hammer .

Roll it on a flat surface ( mirror is good)