LG100 Stabiliser Strip Question

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by NeilM, Nov 15, 2016.

1. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I have a not very well LG100 with me at present. The owner was shooting it Sunday when suddenly he found the cocking lever would not come all the way back, and so it came to me.

A quick visual showed a small spring sticking out of the front of the stabiliser catch. This was effectively jamming the back of the catch up which was then contacting the body of the rifle as the bolt was drawn back.

I was able to unwind the tiny spring and then started looking on this very forum and found a strip down jackanory by Phil. The pictures of the strip show the stabiliser disassembled with the nylon ring removed and three tiny springs next to the other stab parts. The spring I have is the same as those three, but I have only one!

So, first, where do I get three new springs? Steyr Uk I assume, and more importantly, where do they fit? As the stab body has only two recesses.

Photos, parts diagrams, anything to assist would be welcomed.

I have absolutely no idea where the other two springs are, or how any of them got loose in the first place, as up until the time it jammed the rifle was working fine and only had a Steyr UK service at the beginning of the summer.

2. maddog

maddog Active Member

Club:
    Emley f t c
    Spring

Hi Neil give Chris cundy a pm he's your man.

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Thanks, will do.

4. saddler

saddler Member

Neil,
    Those 3 springs have been replaced by a strip of spring steel. They are known as the F& £k springs because when you take the stab apart, you normally say "F& £k, where have they gone"

Make sure you bend the strip into a circle otherwise it puts too much load on the plastic drag ring and the stab then fails to operate as the puff of air coming through the bolt assembly is not strong enough to overcome the increased resistance.

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    You are quite right Phil, there is a strip of steel on the inside of the nylon ring... which therefore begs the question where did the spring come from?

Something I guess we will never know. :lev

6. andyfin

andyfin Active Member

If those little stabilizer springs are called f.--k springs what's the tiny spring in the trigger section called(it's the one you need to remove to enable you to 're lease the sear.) IT MUST BE 7 years since I last removed one but trying to get it back in place was a pain.if it pings out chances of finding it are remote

7. saddler

saddler Member

There is a small spring that gives tension to the small sear that releases the stab. It has a small ball bearing under it. If the sear has no resistance to rocking when it's not engaged it could be that.

8. saddler

saddler Member

You'll normally find it in your right eye.

I find compressing it from just above half way up with a small flat bladed screwdriver makes it a dead fit and gives you just enough compression to push it in place with a larger second screwdriver. If you compress it from the top it's too highly compressed and usually ends up in a low orbit.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  9. Andy P

Andy P Gently does it......

Club:
    Mid Shires Marksmen / Hereward FT & ARC
  10. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    That's where I thought the spring had come from in the first place, but as I can't find a diagram of the LG100 anywhere I couldn't be sure.

Looking at it, the only way to get that spring back in is to drive the pin out that holds the latch and them put the spring in from above. One slip and that spring is going to escape for good.

I can't see what the spring sits on though, and again, I'm not sure how it escaped in the first place.

11. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Right, taken the pin out and released the latch and all becomes clear.

I am going to assume the tiny ball bearing is supposed to be in the hole and that the coil spring is supposed to sit at the far end of the latch, at the opposite end to the latch itself.

I think the coil spring managed to release itself because one end of the spring has tighter coils (as any finished spring has), and the other end looks like the length has been measured and the spring cut, mid coil. If the spring is inserted with the 'open' coil facing up, and bearing against the latch then it could conceivably release itself and slowly wind itself out little by little... which is exactly what has happened here.

All back together and the stab is not working, so it all has to come apart again, I think the strip spring possibly needs a slight squash.

12. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    All fixed and working.

My indelicate reassembly meant the ball bearing and recess were clean, but not spotless. Removed the ball and gave it a polish in a clean cloth and then did the same for the recess and BINGO!

Well, that was an education, thanks for the help.

13. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Nice one Neil.......just one thing though, the small 'flipper' spring under the stab latch is different to the 3 under the white plastic 'brake' (old design).:)

14. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Thanks for that Chris.

I only had one spring, and once I was told about the steel strip modification it was clear that my first thoughts on the fault were correct. I guess I could have saved myself some time if I had gone with my diagnostic gut feeling, but education is never wasted. :D