LG100 barley twist barrel

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by el tel, Sep 14, 2011.

1. el tel

el tel New Member

Hi Guys,
    Been meaning to post this enquirey for some time.
    Have been shooting FT for just over 8yrs.
    Currently using a EV2 Mk2 which seems to suit me the best.
    In the past i have owned LG100 (barley twist) LG100 (non barley twist) also an LG110.
    On the above 3 Steyrs also on my EV2 i have used JSB exact 4.52 pellets.
    On the bench rest test grouping using these pellets the group sizes on the 3 steyrs were almost identical.
    When selling my steyr LG100 (non barley twist) on several forums because it was non barley twist i lost a couple of sales.The gun was sold in the end.
    Why does the LG100 (barley twist) seen to atract a premium price and is more sort after.
    As i have mentioned above during my pellet trials the barley twist barrel is no better at grouping than the non barley twist.
    Could anyone shed any light on the above queery.
    Regards,
    Tel.

2. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

what does barley twist mean?stand for?

3. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Barley twist refers to the appearance of the surface of the barrel and is created by the manufacturing process.
    It is widely believed that the Barley twist barrel is/was of a better quality than the current barrels.
    From what I've read, this seems to be a result of the Barley twist barrel being generally less pellet fussy than the current one.
    But then perception is nine tenths of the truth.

I bought one, tried it, found it be no different to my current barrel.

4. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

Its the mythical status of the barley twist accuracy that attracts the premium and sales, however like yourself I've shot barley twist and non barley twist and noticed no difference. The tolerances of the barrel are suppose to be better as they are hammer forged but in real world shooting it appears to make no difference. :)

5. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

hmm, thanks for that,
    if/when i get mine il bung a bsa barrel in and see what it performs like... ;)

6. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Barrel

I have been advised by someone who is extremely familiar with BSA to keep the Steyr barrel.They are specially made by walter I am led to believe.

Cheers.

7. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the later LG110 barrels were "Shutz" made?

GS

8. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    That was from Harry Preston, the Uk importer. I am sure he is well up on these things. My frien Ross says his LG100 has an Anschutz barrel on it so????

Cheers.

9. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Could somebody please advise me just what the problem is with recent/current Steyr supplied barrels? All of the guns I am familiar with (and thats quite a few now) have no problems whatsoever with putting together superb groups. Why change what is working superbly well anyway, unless of course you have discovered a "rogue" or a bad batch of JSBs?

Andy

10. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
  11. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Sadly the poly barrels are not much chop at sub 12 speeds have had a play ;)

12. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Interesting...now I am asking humbly , a bunch of questions:

1. Is this old LW stock made years ago, that LW want to shift out ?

2. Are the polygon still being made by LW today ?

3. What brand & make of air rifles are fitted with these LW polygon barrels ?

4. Do they have any use in 10m ? if not, why is the performance crap used for 12 lb/ft :confused: ie: if they are no good at performance and accuracy at 10m (550 to 600 fps) ...and no good at 800fps, why is LW offering them for sale ??
    ... sounds like a "lose, lose" situation owning a LW polygon barrel..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  13. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Had a poly on my walther for a short time nice barrel well made just no good at 815 with express JSb . Would like to have made it work , they tell me they work well at FAC levels.

14. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Have to agree wholeheartedly with this.

I've got a "FAC" version, which I run at sub 12 ft/lbs. Legally I don't have to, but for FT competition's sake Its set that way, and can be adjusted back up at any time.

I've learned the hard way over the years I have owned it that it was always me not knowing how to get the best out of it, not the fault of the rifle/barrel if it wasn't giving the best performance.

I've learned a lot from reading on places such as this forum (many thanks guys), and trying things out on the range and FT course. The rifle I have today is standard as it came from the factory but shooting 100 times better in my hands now than 4 years ago. That is down to knowledge gained, and being careful what I feed it and how it is set up.

The standard barrel (as with all rifles of any type) has certain characteristics that it will display with certain pellets of different weights/lengths/head sizes when shot at different speeds in different atmospheric conditions. It is always down to the owner to work it out and learn that.

So a simple change of barrel may or may not give a better result, but its not a fault of the Steyr barrels because there are factors to account for depending on where you live and shoot, and what you feed it.

ATB

15. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I think that sums things up perfectly! The other variable in the mix of course is the frequency and intensity of barrel cleaning. If I clean my 110 so that there is no lead residue at all remaining, it takes about 70 odd pellets to lead it up and retain the accuracy. If it gets a couple of damp pull through wipes followed by a couple of drys that seems to be all she needs to retain downrange one holers week in,week out.

Apart from one rogue Steyr that I bought new (and swiftly returned) that wouldn't group with anything, I have yet to see a Steyr not capable of producing a level of accuracy far beyond what I and I suspect many others are capable of.

For me therefore, its the usual variables that we can alter such as good pellet choice and a strict cleaning regime that maintains the inherent accuracy in this and no doubt all other high quality target rifles.

Andy

16. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Andy, do you happen to know the serial number?
    When did you purchase the rifle?
    Cheers Dave

17. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    What about an extremely accurate barrel indoors at 50m, but it has a poor BC, not much use for FT ;)

18. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Ft ?

For FT , you do not need a rifle that will group up a fleas bum . groups do not win comps . you need a rifle that will take a windage you can understand . that is what wins comps and good positionals . if a rifle will group into half an inch at 50 yards it can win . ??? HOLLY:)

19. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Just re-read this Holly and you are of course quite right. Incidentally, I have now changed my barrel cleaning regime to once a fortnight with VFG felts/paste and dont bother using anything that can dampen any part of the action with excess oil from a pull through. Seems to work for me, but have to be careful to clean excess paste from around the breech as build up can cause sealing problems on the bolts "o" ring. Most of the other shooters I know keep to the weekly pull through with an oiled piece of barrel cleaning tape and it seems to work just as well for them. For me , I feel more confident following a good seeing too with blue paste. The gun barrel likes it as well!

Frank

20. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Never a truer word spoken..........:D

GS