LG 110 belleville washers

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by inverted, May 22, 2015.

1. inverted

inverted New Member

Hi all,

I have a new Steyr LG110 HP Hunting in 5.5mm FAC
    I live in Croatia and we have no power limit.

I would like to go to a local FT competition so I needed to change the reg. pressure and hammer spring tension to power it down to 16J which is a power limit for FT competition here.

I have ordered 16J hammer spring for this model and FT spring for FT model.

I've disassembled the reg. and there were 9 Belleville washers in ()()(()(( order with 2 flat washers, one is 0,1mm and the other is 0,3mm

I've removed the flat washers and put 8 Belleville washers in ()()()() standard order for 16J but couldn't get more than 70 bar on the reg. and if I understood what I've read on here, I need 85 bar on the reg for optimal 16J work.

So, I've put back the ninth Belleville washer so order is now )()()()() and I get 85 bar without a problem.

With the same Belleville washer order, I can get 108 bar which is good for my FAC shooting.

And the question on the end of all this writing is: why would the original order with two double stacked Belleville washers and additional flat washers be better that the simple )()()()() single stacked order?

Since double stacked washers are double in power than single ones, in original setting, those washers will not compress and I believe that it's better for the reg. to have a uniform compression rate of all elements.
    But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Thank you!
    Best regards

2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi i've never seen the configuration you found in the reg but then again i've never worked on a FAC (UK) level Steyr.

The normal setting to get a reg to 85 bar is ()()()() with maybe a couple of shims if the reg has a 1.5mm (approx) outlet hole instead of the (approx) 2.5mm

with shims at the bottom. ||()()()()

I don't think the way you've set the reg up wil cause any problems as long as it's a constant 85 bar on a reg checker and returns to 85 bar after each shot without bleeding any air and the subsequent reg creep.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    As far as I'm aware, there's no difference in the reg pressure between a 16J and FAC Steyr LG110. There wasn't in the one I received.

4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

That was my understanding Rob.......

5. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

The reg pressure on FAC is 110 bar with 9 Bellview washers

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It wasn't on mine.

7. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    What would be the affect of having this (()()()( set up of belleville washers on my 16j LG100? I've been advised to try this that's all.

8. inverted

inverted New Member

Could you, please, show me which hole is outlet hole?

Well, I don't get any bleeding of air but I do see a slow reg creep for the last 2 bars. For instance, if setup to 85 bar, reg. recovers from a shot instantly to something like 83-84 bar and the last 1-2 bars it slowly fills up during next 5-10 seconds.
    It's the same on every simulated shot.
    Should I change the orings or should I add flat shims to increase spring pressure?

I've read on here that FAC have 9 Belleville washers and reg. pressure 100-110 bar but didn't find washer order.

9. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Doubling up belvilles will double their strength, in a stack with a mixed arrangement the double will not deflect until the singles have flattened all but out. effectively creating the same strength as if they were all arranged as singles until the piston travels far enough to flatten them at which point the stack takes on the strength of the doubles. I doubt very much that the reg piston has enough travel to do this so if any are fitted as singles these will determine the spring strength. The length of the stack can have an effect too as the deflection rate of belvilles is not uniform which is why shims can influence it. Shims should always be used between belvilles and alloy seat surfaces as the contact point is very small and will cause wear to the seat.

10. nemesis

You do not have reg creep. Reg creep is when it's left on test for two days and it's gone way passed the pressure the reg is set at. This is how the factory test them. Though usually if the reg is creeping you can usually see it within a few hours of it been on test.

11. nemesis

Also if you are going to put 9 washers in instead of the 8 you have to fit the right shims too to get the overall lenght right otherwise it will become coil bound, to measure the shim thickness plus Belview washers all 8 have to add up to 8.4 mm plus or minus 000.2mm. The nine Belview washer set up is 8.5mm plus or minus 000.2mm.
    This measurement is taken in the same assembly order of how they go into the reg. ie ()()()() then the shims.

12. inverted

inverted New Member

Since reg. was disassembled I've took some time to check washers dimensions.

8 of the washers are around 1,00 (+ - 0,01) and combined are 8,04mm
    9th washer is 0,95 so all 9 washers give 8,99mm when stacked )()()()()

In original setup ()()(()((|| (9 Belleville washers + 2 shims) all added up to 8,82mm

If target measure is 8,4mm than there should be no shims in the original setup.
    In my setup, I should throw out the ninth washer and add shims.

I'm new to Steyr air rifles so I have no idea on what is right for their regulators but I've never read anywhere that I should aim for a specific measurement when stacking washers.
    I was always under impression that I should aim for a specific pressure on reg. checker and washers must have enough space to move, shouldn't get flattened out.

When putting the two parts of the reg. together, there is aprox. 1,6mm gap which has to be tightened.
    So, I flatten 8,99mm for 1,6mm which gives 7,39mm, and each washer is 0,7mm flattened out which leaves 1,09mm free space for washers to move. I have no idea if that is enough, not enough or if it matters at all.

If target measure is 8,4mm than that would explain why I couldn't get more than 70 bar with only 8 washers because total thickness was 8,04.

I like my setup because I get 85 and 105 bar without reg. disassembly just by adjusting the screw.
    But, for testing purposes I'll throw out ninth washer and put shims back in and see what do I get.