Leupold - Removal of Premier Booster?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by skeet_200, Dec 30, 2010.

1. skeet_200

skeet_200 New Member

Has anyone ever removed the booster from a Premier Reticles modified Leupold VariX iii ?

It appears to be cemented firmly to the main tube, so I wouldn't want to ruin the scope. If safe removal is possible, are there any more issues apart from refilling the scope with nitrogen?

I love the Premier ladder reticle, but if the booster is straightforward to remove, I might want to use the scope on its standard 6.5-20 mag range.

If anyone has first hand experience of this, or could let me have details of someone who definitely has done this, I would be grateful.

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    If you send it back to leupolds . they will take it off for you and send it back in the box . whether you want em to or not . personally i would sell it . ( worth more than a 6.5 to 20 ) then buy:D the six to twenty and pocket the difference ??? HOLLY

3. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Holly - I think the part you are missing is the "I love the Premier ladder reticle" ;)

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Ret

That is why i said flog it and buy a vari X 111 . don't think it would work otherwise ??? HOLLY PS but what i said about sending it back to lupes is right . if you send one back for service . they will take the booster off .

5. skeet_200

skeet_200 New Member

How to keep ladder but remove booster?

Thanks guys. I had read elsewhere that if you send the scope back to Leupold, they remove both the booster AND the reticle - whether you want them to or not!

What i would like to do (if it's feasible) is to get the booster removed, but keep the excellent ladder reticle.

i don't want to send it to Leupold - that way I would just end up with a standard VariX III. As Holly says, I could just sell mine and replace it with a standard scope if I wanted to do this.

6. ascoughc

ascoughc Member

how come they remove it all, i know leup and premier fell out but its not there scope to remove

7. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Is the ladder ret ffp or sfp has if in first the ret may not be useable at the lower mag due to the lines getting closer together

Gary

8. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Skeet the fact is Leupold will not touch your scope in its boosted form, however premier reticles who did the modification on your scope will remove the booster thus turning it into a standard 6.5-20 or 8.5-25 depending on the model, the question is why would you want to remove the booster because this will mean that the reticle will not work properly because it is designed round the magnifiaction IE probably made to work at 40mag so it will not work with correct increments at 20mag.

9. Jon

Jon Member

It will be 2nd focal plane, only the newer VX3 were 1st FP in GEN2 when specified.

Even if it were possible the lines would be too thick and too separated, just drop the mag to 18 try.

Best option sell it, not worth much more than unboosted if at all £350 tops, probably quite old if its the ladder and conventional front focus, very few wanted after 92.
    If its the Vari x 3 with side focus sell it as is worth a lot more than above.

10. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    HI Jon
    It maybe the older style I had a 14.5/35 efr in the first focal plane the ladder ret was very fine at 14.5 would be unuseable below 10 i would have thought
    I just picked up a 18/40 vx3 with gen2 mil-dot with one of your wheels Jon very nice

Gary

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Money ?

yep i reckon £ 350 top whack for the prem ret jobbie . BUT you can pick up a 6.5 to 20 varri X 111 for about £ 250 ish . gives you money in the pocket . or if not worried you could try for a straight swap ??? HOLLY

12. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Are we talking front or side focus here front focus around £350.00 side focus around £850.00

13. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I think you are still missing the OPs point - can you buy a standard 6.5 to 20 with a ladder ret? I am assuming not so he would have lost the main thing he likes about the scope