Leupold Competition 40x

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Monty, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers, Basingstoke ARPC
    My trusted big Nikko has finally popped it's clogs, unfortunately it went belly up on the first lane of last weekends WL at West Meon. It made a stoic recovery 6 lanes from the end allowing me to more than double my score over the last 12 targets but it is now very dead.

Anyhow, I'm looking at the options for the next scope and one of the scopes on the short list is the Loopy comp 40x but I can't find anywhere in the UK that sells them. To be honest I've not looked that hard and thought it better to ask here for any recommendations. I would like to get it factory reparallaxed to 9 yards and a German #4 reticule fitted so it would need to be a proper agent I guess. I really want to buy a shiny new one, long story.....

Any recommendations of who to look at welcome, I assume GMK is trade only?

Thanks!

Monty

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. craig corbett

craig corbett Member

Club:
    quarry FTC
    Bruno shooters supply's in the us $999.00

3. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    I got mine from Bruno. You have to add import duty and I'm not sure that they do mods.

Very quick service though

Shaun

4. LittleJack

LittleJack Active Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Yep Bruno's for me too. I had it sent to germany then for a mildot ret!
    Jack

5. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Monty . i had a 35 mag comp for some while but it has to be said , the field of view is very narrow . and in the winter or woods , it can come up dark . light easy to use in good conditions on the good side . best with a small side wheel ( three inches ) . LUCK . ??? HOLLY:)

PS if you get the thirty , thirty ret ( duplex ) get the standard one , not the thick one .:cool:

6. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    re-parralaxing

when I asked harold in germany about it he was,nt sure if it could be done properly so I left well alone, make sure you buy a sunshade and a fifty foot adaptor at the same time, had mine from bruno,s

7. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Thanks chaps, all useful info.

Holly, yes the fixed mag did make me wonder but I almost always shoot at 35x (even on positionals) and acquire at 50x so felt the tight FOV probably won't cause too much pain except when I have to give silly wind or the target is at a silly height and hard to find. I've not shot one for any length of time (and I can't remember if it was a 35, 40 or 45 but think it was a 40) and it was some time ago but I do recall it being brighter than my Nikko at the same magnification, is that just my aging memory showing some wishful thinking?

Good tip on the 30/30 and sidewheel, I'll bear that in mind.

I hadn't contemplated buying from the US as I thought that there were federal export restrictions? Is this incorrect on my part??

Many thanks

Monty

8. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Probably a really silly question but could you leave the 50ft adaptor on the objective permanently or does it screw up once you get past 15 yards(ish). The main reason for wanting it set to 9 yards was to avoid the need for the adapter to be flapping around on the end of the scope but if it can be left attached for all distances it becomes a non issue. Not had to use one before so probably a ridiculous question!!

Thanks

Monty

9. Shaun

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi Monty

there is a restriction on the export of certain types of reticule. No restriction on buying a comp.

Shaun

10. Shaun

Club:
    Harriers
    As to cost.

I too investigated buying one in the UK. The cost was much higher than that incurred by importing even including the import duty

Shaun

11. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Hi Shaun

yes, at £600 plus duty plus carriage from Bruno it's almost a no brainer.

Might give it a punt just to see what it's like as this makes it the cheapest of all of my short listed scopes by some margin and I have a second MK1 Nikko on a spare rifle if it doesn't work out well.

Thanks

Monty

12. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    50ft adaptor

buy a butler creek flip up lense cover simply cut a hole in the cover slightly smaller than the thread on the 50ft adaptor, simply screw the adaptor into the lense cover, make sure the hole is cut centrally in the cover,I did,nt fancy having a new scope messed about with, I did read that somebody did re-parallax their niko but the down side was that his gaps on the longer ranges reduced and thats where you need them most hope this helps

13. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Flap flap

Hi Blacklab

yes, it was the flapping butler creek with the 50ft that doesn't do it for me. Easy to do I know, but it's not aesthetically pleasing :rolleyes: The close focus is for 40mm objectives and the comp is a 45mm, I know that's the lens diameter and not the OD of the butler creek so there will be a few more mm, but it doesn't leave much plastic around the edge??

I did manage to accidentally reparallax my big nikko MK1 some years ago when I unscrewed the sunshade and it took the objective with it. Went back OK but found I could focus a yard closer and the 50-55 gap opened up by a few extra mm. Looks like general consensus is leave the loopy as it comes and use the 50ft adaptor.

Next stupid question; I assume the 50ft adaptor works OK on the end of a 4 inch sunshade? I'm going to have a peek at a 10-60 March tomorrow but the idea of a comp is growing more interesting.

Monty

14. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    End of sunshade

Close focus works fine on the sunshade.
    Biggest problem with close targets is the lack of reticle reference points.
    8yd target from a 30 yd zero is 2 1/2 turns if you use a riser rail.

15. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Thanks for the input chaps. Finally made the plunge and have ordered the 40x, sunshade and 50ft adapter. I'll see how I get on with it before it goes off to Germany for a reticule change. Next is a sidewheel, any particular favourites? Holly has recommended a 3" wheel diameter, does anyone have a particular recommendation? Don't need anything too fancy, just sturdy, the right diameter and a good fit. Piccies and contact details would be great.

Sorry, all dumb questions thus far. I was lucky that the first stuff I purchased 9 years ago all seemed to be good examples and suited me so although I've been doing this for a while it's been a predominantly monogamous relationship with one rifle and one scope, just the occasional dirty weekend with the prosport.

Thanks in advance

Monty

16. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    side wheel

john harris his email is jon@hareng.co.uk his wheels fit onto the leupolds mechanism

17. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Thanks Blacklab, email sent

18. rich

rich Active Member

Based on $999 ex works plus (say) $110 shipping and insurance, this is what I got from a website:

Total customs value (CIF): £662.90 This is the amount that customs values your import at.

- Duty: £31.16

- VAT: £138.81

Total import duty & taxes due: £169.97 This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs.

Total landed cost: £832.86 This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes at exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.67 USD

And there may be a charge on top if Royal Mail or the courier pay the customs clearing costs and charge you a fee. RM is £8 I think.

19. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Hey up Rich

waiting for the rolled up cost from the supplier, did the deed late yesterday so should find out carriage later today, but that comes out around the number I had in mind as a landed cost. My rough reckoning estimated it at about £850 based on previous imports.

Monty

20. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Then the ret change....if required will be around £100. Plus shipping to Harald in Germany which will be around £40 with added insurance. Overall it's going to be best part of 1K.