Leupold Comp from States

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Neil-T, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    I am going on Holiday to Disney Florida in July next year. Was wondering if anyone had experience of buying a Leup Comp whilst over there. I have sent an email to Optics Planet requesting a Silver one with Mildot ret but not sure if this will be possible. I am wanting to pick the scope up when over there, preferably from the International drive area. I am not overly concerned about the Mildot ret as I can send to Harald Ros afterwards. Any experience of anyone encountering problems through customs on return journey home. Do I declare it or just put in hand luggage. Any suggestions welcome. Neil.

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Don't think you'd be allowed the mildot ret its classified as military as far as I'm aware, but I may be wrong?

3. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Isn't there an export ban on more than x4 magnification??? (I might have imagined this, can't quite remember)

4. suds

suds Senior member

Club:
    Wendover ARC
    scope

I picked mine up from the " Bass Pro shop" in International Drive when I was there 8 years ago, shoved it in the bottom of my case , no problem, but security is very different now I don't think you will get away with it . Dave

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Neil,

Have a word with Johny Sears, I'm sure he bought his back from the states last year.

Speak soon mate.

Daz

6. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Thanks for the replies guys, I knew the Mildot may be a problem, but didn't know about anything over 4 mag being a restricted item. Neil.

7. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Cheers Daz, is he on here? Or do you have any contact details for him. Thanks. Neil.

8. Steve

Steve Member

Remove all packaging,labels etc.post those back to yourself separately give the scope a good handling finger prints etc wrap in bubble wrap place in case or hand luggage and if questioned say you purchased second hand or collected it after repair.

9. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    Leupold comp

Leupold will do a Mill dot for you it has to go to the custom shop to be done ,if you want a silver scope there was a waiting time of 12 weeks for them .
    I have 2 leupold comps both with mill dots ,one is silver also
    Bought mine direct from leupold custom shop ,I know they will not sell direct anymore so you would have to by through a shop etc

10. fatwelshboy

fatwelshboy Wanted - EV2

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    I had two 40x Comps delivered from the States a couple of months ago. I know Chubby recently brought his back in his hand luggage with no problems.

11. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    There is no problem with mildot or >4x power; it's more a question of which country it's being exported to. I know for a fact that there is no problem taking a 10x mildot NF scope hand carry to Germany or the UK.
    If you were taking a flight to countries on a 'dubious attitude to the USA' list you might be prevented or require a special license, the details of which can be found on most US retailer's sites.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  12. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Good Ole Boy's Field Target Club & Invicta Field Target Club
    You can purchase those Leupold Comp scopes from most Bass Pro shops, over the counter here. They do not sell the mildot reticle as a standard option. I use Mildots in two of my comp 35's.

I had to send my scopes to the Leupold Custom shop with a letter explaining that I wanted the mils for field target reference only and that I understood that they would not be a true mil when installed. This is because the Mildots when installed in the comp 35 scope are not true mil in size. So, Leupold is very reluctant to install those reticles anymore. I know several FT shooters over here that have been told NO when ordering Mildots from Leupold. If you do, just be persistent. It's almost luck of the draw when you send a scope to them now for the conversion.

Best of luck!

Harold Rushton
    USA

13. tonto.boy

tonto.boy Member

Club:
    Nelson Air Rifle Club.
    leupold comp.

Cubb is the man to chat to he was out there in the summer and brought one back.
    grandad.