Leupold black spot !

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Jinx, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Hi all.
    Looking some advice and or help with a Leupold scope i bought 2nd hand.
    It was a 6.5x20x40 and has been boosted to 35 mag, close range adaptor etc fitted to the front.
    My problem is at 20 yards it is blurry ? Not mental blurry, but blurry none the less.
    Perfect at all other ranges, and checked with a tape and is spot on.

I have another of these scopes and it's perfect at all ranges, it's just this one seems a little blurry at 20 yards :confused:

Any of you scope boffins know why i would love to hear your thoughts.
    Can it be fixed or do i live with it and get another ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  2. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Hi Stevie, are you sure it's 35 mag. They usually go up to 40 when boosted. Has it got the prem ret collar just in front of the eyeball. I have had one that only came down to 18 yds without the 50ft adapter, so not too far off what yours is by the sound of things. With it being Adjustsblle objective it will be harder to re- parallax, but I am sure they used to be someone who did them. Sorry I can't be of more help, but looks like you will have use the adapter for anything closer than 19 yds or so. Neil.

3. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Cheers Neil.
    I think it's as you say mate but i have been talking to Lofty via email here too and it's a bit odd to be honest.

It's perfect at EVERY range but 20 yards.
    18 yards 22 yards..perfect...
    20 yards..a bit hazy ??? :confused:
    It has the premier ret fitted too mate yea.
    It's also got the x35 mag booster.
    PM me your email and i will send you a few pics etc.

4. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Best i can do here is get it down to 14 yards picture perfect mate.
    and it's set to stop at 55 yards
    it just seems to have a hazy spot at 20 yards for some reason ??

:confused:

5. Jinx

Jinx Non member

All sorted Neil.:)
    Cheers mate.

Spoke to Lofty there and a slight adjustment at the collar and it's perfect through out :D:D

Was looking another scope rail the same size as the one i got from you mate if you have another ?

Doesn't matter as regards the style etc.

Stevie.

6. Jon

Jon Member

"It was a 6.5x20x40 and has been boosted to 35 mag"

They were the in thing early 90's Neil, not many 40mags about.
    Known as the 14.5 to 35 in EFR, Vari X 3 incarnations and the last of them being the VX3 to 2005 the last.

Blank spots will differ on all PR Leups, my last one was 14yds 1 ft to 15yds 2ft 9" good enough to get a shot off.

7. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Spot on :)
    All sorted now though thankfully :D
    Looking for a 20x40x60 Leupold now though.
    The fun never ends.:rolleyes:

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Might

Might be wrong . but i think you are talking about the leupold 20+50 by 50 . if there is a 60 objective lens lupe . get me one to . some of the 20+50s have a blank spot from 17 down to 15 yards . nick jenkinson used to reparralax em for you for £ 40 . having had the 6.5 to 20 . the 14 +35 and the 18+ 40 . my advice would be to get a 20+50 lupe . by the way all the lupes are light/temperture sensitive . just need a bit of learning . range on 50 . shoot on 20 mag .??? HOLLY:):D

9. nat

nat Member

I have the same setup and yes there is a hazy spot regardless if you're using the close adapter or the normal lens. Only way round it I think is reducing the mag but I tend to shoot those shots slightly blurry.

10. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Holly you are right my mistake mate 20x50.
    That's what i get for trying too type to fast when i'm wrecked :)

Got the hazy look out of it, it's readable now and very usable but still not perfectly clear, but better than it was, by miles.

As far as the the temp readings go on the Leupolds.
    Yep....they do all change in summer/winter in extreme heat or cold. I love my heat, summer etc and I have learned, that in winter, if i need a coat scarf gloves heat pack (god i'm old now :eek: ) and all that other stuff to stay warm when i'm shooting or riding my bike, that it's too cold to be out in the 1st place :D

Stevie.

11. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    i had a 14.5 x35 vari x 3 boosted with christmas ret prem ret i had the same problems with it to

12. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Looks like they all suffer from it !!
    Got it sorted a lot better now and its pellet on pellet and i can see it better at the 20 yard mark so should be fine.

Fired a few shots today @ 20 yards and they are all going through the same hole and pictures good as long as it isn't over 14 mag.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    IF

If you can shoot on the saturday before a comp , at about the same time as you will shoot on the sunday . you can check out the ranging and note any variation . IE mine comes in between 2,5 to 5 yards out in the cold weather ( it is set up for the summer ) . make sure the scope has been out of the bag for at least 15 mins so as to acclimatise to the cold , before using . one trick you can do is put a couple of hand warmers in the gun bag when shooting to help . personally , i am out in the cold . the gun is out in the cold .??? HOLLY:eek:

PS another one with the 20+50 is when very cold , you can gently take the scope to the stop at 80 yards ish . tap it gently on the stop twice and then bring it back down to your range . this seems to help and i find can knock 2.5 yards of the dodgy range . . great scope the lupe . got character .:)

14. Jinx

Jinx Non member

I seem to recall years ago people telling me too that if you use a Leupold and dial in, wind it on past the point you need then come down again to where you want it at.
    Something to do with the gimbles freezing or something ?
    Then i heard they don't freeze or stick as they are made from brass and brass doesn't stick in the cold !!

I no longer dial in anyway but i know what you mean about the temp shift in extreme heat and or cold.