Leupold 20+50 Differences ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by holly, Feb 24, 2011.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Offhand does anybody know the differences between the early 20+50s and the later ones ??? HOLLY

2. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    do you mean vari-x 3 to the vx3 the vx3 has matched indexed lens

Gary

3. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Are ?

Are the scopes marked up differently gary . IE vari X 111 and VX3 i wonder ??? HOLLY

4. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Yes Holly they are on the gold band at the front

Gary

5. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Right ?

Ah right . this one i have to try is marked up Vari X 111 .but it is obviously a later scope . it is not clearer than my old 20+50 BUT it seems a bit brighter ? i wonder if they improved the lens coatings on em . it has a MK4 top turret but a hunting type side turret .??? HOLLY

6. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    I bought my 20/50 in end of Jan beginning Feb and was the VX3 as Dick had run out of the vari-x3 this was in 2004

yes should have put vari-x iii old type and VX3 new type

Gary

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yes .

Yes i know that the shooters with the VX3s really rate em . but also the leupold custom shop wil mix and match bits nowadays . like when they used to put the benchrest lense in the old MK4s . this has the MK4 turret . but does not have the safe door closing clunk of a real MK 4 ??? HOLLY

8. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Dave when i bought mine in1999 mick brown had 1 identical around a year later and his was brighter than mine i think it it was more scope to scope variation than a improved model

9. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    have a VX3 20/50 with standard turrets
    and s VX3 18/40 with the M1 turrets
    the standard turrets feel nicer to use than M1 as they seem to have a bit of drag probably due to the weather sealing om them

Gary

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yes this is what i think MR P . some you win and some you lose . i had sold my 20+50 . cos i had no rifle to put it on . the Comp X is on my Anscutz 2020 . but i am buying a 2002 off kilty and had no scope to put on it . this may be the answer ??? HOLLY PS will give it a run out saturday .

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Turrets ?

Yes gary , i know what you mean . not as delicate so to speak . but i have to go around quickly three times to get to 8 yards from 35 yards . so i always felt i was burning em so to speak . but not with the MK4 turrets ??? HOLLY

12. suds

suds Senior member

Club:
    Wendover ARC
    20x50

I have got three 20x50x50 leups brought one new in 2000 next in 2004 and brought one second hand last year, they are all more or less the same except for the turrets on the early ones were different, as for lens quality there is no difference at all.

13. Jon

Jon Member

The VX3 came out Feb 2004 and superceded the Vari x 3 side wheel which came out in 1997.
    Not sure of the mechanical differences but they did change the threads to metric.
    Theres also many different variations of the Vari X 3's, mostly non side wheel 25mm and 30mm tubes, 40 and 50 front bells in any combination.

The last of the PR modded by the master himself would be June 2005, he had a heart op in early August and died in the October. I probably had the last one ever done, Dick sounded very very rough in May that year.
    I know of three PR VX3 Jan 2006 done by his son Chris, all with standard rets.

Since its a production scope they will vary from one to the next, thats why there are differences.

Every one i know who has had a VX3 hasnt reported any shift unlike some of the Vari X 3.

14. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    happy with my two VX3's
    Gary

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Looking

Been looking at the ret on thios 20+50 and the dots are cenral and one each side , one below . i reckon these are for bracketing a 50 yarder on full mag ??? HOLLY