Leupold 18-40 EFR

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by steg, Feb 20, 2010.

1. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Leupold 18-40 EFR

Does anybody own one of these scopes (Premier boosted) Any opinions?

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

not very good for FT I'm afraid, they shift temp quite badly. My old one could alter 10yards during the course of a shoot.

3. WHIZZER

WHIZZER Member

ive got some and they do shift a small amount throughout the year. They are however really nice scopes, optics are goos, they are nice an light and they are also excellent build quality. there are not many options for a front pa high magg scope and id rate the 18-40 up there with the likes of the burris ra and the bushnell 4200;)

4. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

I've got an EFR that's bosted to 14.5-35x. I have been seeing zero shift (a few clicks at 35yds). -Probably due to temps... I'll say the glass, in terms of brightness and clarity, is definitely superior to the 3 or 4 4200 scopes I've had, and also superior to the big Nikko 10-50 that I own. As far as range-finding goes, the EFR is not the best choice. Something like the big Nikko range-finds MUCH better in my experience...

I hope that helps,

Scott in CO

5. simona

simona Active Member

I've had one and it did shift, good in every other respect; but for FT ranging is the big one.

If you can find a pre-efr version (which will only focus from 23-58 yards) that might be a better bet, they seem to snap more and be less temperature sensitive - though you will need a close range adaptor.

6. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    I had a 14.5-35 EFR from link arms boosted by premier and with a custom etched reticle.Within the right light and temp range it was very good.Range finding good, except in iffy light,temp rise sent the POI haywire;at one point shooting at 50yds it had to be shot at the 35yd mark,not much good 15 yds off.
    It now has pride of place collecting dust on my shelving! :D.
    HERX77 .

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    If

If you must have a front focus scope , go for the bushnell elite 8+32 . very nice ??? HOLLY

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    the Thing

The thing that put me off the EFR matt , was the note you got in the box . saying that you could expect 10% variation before you even started . nope . i have had 4 18+40 and only one goiod one .the one i have now . it comes with normally the number 27 ret . which on mine zeroed at 35 yards on the main crosshair , with the GC2 running at just below 780 with 8.4 exacts . the bottom mil dot hits the 50 yard mini kill most times and with craig shooting it , standing as well . good scopes in their day . but collectors items now ??? HOLLY
    PS by the way , mine is in the first focal plane . dunno if they all were .

9. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    I owned this scope, used it on my springer in 2009 gp series, I had some good results with it , but being used to a big nikko i didnt know where i was when it got hot, i can remember the newbury gp scoring 46x50 with my rusty old hw77 and efr scope , i ranged a long target my scope was telling me the target was about 62 yards, so i just guessed it was 55 yards and dropped the target, if u can cope with the temp shift, i would say it is a better scope than my current spring gun scope, a bushnell elite 8-32x40, gaps are bigger on the efr at 55 and 50 yards compared to the bushnell, if your used to leopold scopes, then its not a bad scope for a twanger,