leupold 10x40 mk4 ?????

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by griggzy, Dec 2, 2010.

1. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

hi im interested to know who uses a leupold 10x40 mk4 ( side paralax ) on the HFT circuit and do they find it good ? does it paralax down to 20 ish yards ? are the milldots well spaced out or are they tightly packed together ? also any bad points you find with them ie : bad paralax error ?

cheers
    griggzy :D

2. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

I used a 10x40 LRT model for around 1 1/2-2yrs, it was reparallaxed and would comfortably come down to 10yds on the sidewheel with good visability down to around 15-16yds with a 25-27yd parallax setting, and down to 13yds with a 20-22yd setting but then began to blur slightly at 45yds which I don't like.
    The mildots are true mildot and nice and usable. The optics are usual Leup standard, beautifully clear and bright with a good depth of field, at my usual 25-27yd setting it would go out to HFT/FT ranges easily.
    My main reason for switching back to the EB was that I found it quite fussy with parallax error with elevated shots where head position was hard to get 100% right. However the guy I sold it to (John Murray) seems to get on very well with it:) I guess a lot of it comes down to personal suitability as well as how it works with your gun/stock combination. If I could have those optics with the user friendliness of the EB I'd be a very happy man:)

3. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Out of all the MK4 leups i've tried it was one of my favorites, BUT for some reason it was the worst for parallax error.

Pete

4. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

cheers fellas i found bad paralax error with the vx3 i had for a bit , but it couldnt be reparalaxed so it was no good guess il have to find some1 at a shoot who uses one and have a look through it etc

5. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Quality scope got that and an EB and prefer the Leup!

6. peadar_911

peadar_911 Too old to die young.

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    I use one and think it's the Mutt's Nuts. Mine will parallax all the way down to about 9 yards, but I have the TMR ret as I don't much like mildots, though the spacing is the same with half mil hash marks added in as well.

I have looked through Big Chris's 10x40 Mildot Leup, and a couple of 3.5-10x40's, and the mildots looked a nice size. They are true mildot scopes, so the spacing is as should be, really.

I don't find a problem with parallax error, but I do use a scope enhancer which helps maintain head position.

The DOF is excellent, with only the really close ones being blurred for me, but I can still manage to shoot 15mm kills at 8 and 10 yds in practise, so it isn't an issue.

Bad points, only one - cost, they're very expensive. Mine cost more than 4 times the TAC 30 I used previously, it's not 4 times better, though, so it's a case of diminishing returns when spending that much money.:(

Actually, two bad points, when you look through a "normal" scope you think it is sh*t. I recently spent a couple of minutes trying to focus my Viper at 25yds and eventually realised it was focused.:D

The fixed mag model is built like a brick sh*t house and , the built quality really is 1st class. The MK4 also has a lifetime warranty, that says they are confident it isn't going to fall apart or let you down.

Hope this helps.

Peter

7. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Griggzy have a look through mine when you come down for the extreme at Treetops, its the best scope I have ever used and I've had a few;):D

8. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    This is why you really have to try before you buy as what will suit one person wont suit another, its the same with any scope.

Pete

9. rogb

rogb Señor Member

I had one Steve and for resolution and all-round build quality , it was brilliant, but I suffered from much the same as Vinnie, If you couldn't get your head in exactly the right position, it wasn't very forgiving.

I also had the TMR ret and kept losing the lines on dark targets. Perhaps now with UKAHFT lighter targets that wouldn't be such a problem.

The EB was more user-friendly and a hell of a lot cheaper.:D

10. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    I suppose its the law of diminishing returns, I find mine slightly better than my Eb which is a quarter of the price. Is the leup 4 times better, NO.

Saying that I picked mine up used for £550 and was worth the money to me.

11. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

thanks for all your replys il take up these offers and have a good look through one , the paralax issue is somthing im dealing with using the hawke 10x42 i love the scope but ive always liked the leup's since the vx3 i had but the paralax issue really let it down but it was more a rimfire scope

12. pete53

pete53 New Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    If you are still looking there is one here
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEUPOLD-MK-4-...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item4155af8322