Legal fps for ft.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by springer34, Apr 16, 2013.

1. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

Just a quick question ive changed from jsb 8.4 to jsb heavy 10.34 what is the legal limit allowed for ft. at the moment my rifle is between 706 fps to 710fps is this ok or should i turn the power down?

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    ok......I think:confused:

3. mykeed20

mykeed20 Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    10.34 gn is 722 fps at 12ft-lb (does vary depending on what constant the calculator uses), so the BFTA limit is 12ft-lb minus 5 fps, so that gives you a top of 717 fps. Your close, but not over.

5. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    The theoretical limit is 718 but JSB Heavies are only 10.3 grains in reality so 719 is the real BFTA limit. 706-710 is not bad, but I use my rifle on 700-705, it is safer and a few fps don't really count.

6. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    cylinder exchange

Hey up Andras,
    As im a bit thick about these things and whilst were on about velocity with heavy pellets does shooting these pellets use more air?? As i have noticed you have to exchange your cylinder half way around a gp coarse.
    If you switched to 8.4 grain pellets would you still have to do this?
    Gilly.

7. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

ty for posts i think ill go the safe route and try to get it down a few fps just for the hot weather if we get any:rolleyes:

8. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    to find out how many shots you can get just fire it over a crono till you know?.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    No problem Gilly, I know that some have their special theories but I have never changed cylinder halfway of a course, it is not needed because my rifle can do 90-100 shots with a fill. I used to carry my spare cylinder around when my wife takes the car for some sightseeing and I stay there all the day.
    Anyway you surely know how PCP rifles work, they use air more effectively with heavier pellets so if I switched to lighter ones then I had to set the rifle's power a bit higher to have the same output power, i.e. the rifle would use more air.
    Air consumption has nothing to do with velocity, I can set a Feinwerkbau on a way that it can give even 230 shots, the problem is that there is a 30 fps deviation in them. So I used to set it other way which uses more air but only 3-4 fps deviation in velocity.

10. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

Now that's what I call a answer I have a p70 think I'll be bending ur ear regarding set up and such issues