Leaky walther.... help!

Discussion in 'Walther' started by Feral, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Feral

Feral New Member

Maybe one for Pete or Don but all help gratefully received... It's hopefully driver error on my part but I took the reg off to to get the square section in front of the breech block off. I put it back on yesterday but noticed my cylinder was totally empty. I took it off and cleaned the valve as it had some dirt on and put it back together crossing my fingers.

I put a small air tight bag on the end of the barrel and it duly filled up with air so that is where the culprit is.

The reg was sorted by Nick Murphy on 15th May so I doubt there would be anything fundamental. I am hoping it's a silly mistake I've made my end. I've never had the reg itself apart, just removed it via the two bolts.

Any thoughts folks?

Cheers

Cliff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

If the barrel is filling with air then the firing valve/seal are allowing air to leak past.

remove the seal & clean where it fits in the action then clean the seal & valve, if it still leaks it's just a matter of replacing the seal.

3. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    As Pete said,post a better shot of the white seal,as it looks like its got a couple of marks on the back sealing face .This may well be you leak is the seal Ptfe or a harder nylon.
    Don

4. Feral

Feral New Member

Thanks Don and Pete.

Don the seal is the harder one I believe put in by Nick when he serviced it for Barry. I'll get a closer picture of the seal when I take it off again. I've given it a good clean and tightened it on less gingerly and it seems to be holding air for the last half hour so I am loathe to take it off.

Phenomenally quick response from people who really are in the know... gotta love this forum!

5. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The harder seals have very little compression so they need to be made exactly the right thickness to seal without being too thick & angling the reg down, as a result they do often need tightening down quite hard.

Stick a bag over the barrel ensuring the breech is closed & if it doesn't leak overnight I'd leave it alone:D

6. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

or chuck it in the bin and get a rifle that aint gonna give ya grieff every five minutes ;)

all the best nick:D

7. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I have a bin at my house m8:D

8. Feral

Feral New Member

Haha thanks fellas but no way is it going near the bin it's a gagdeteers dream of a rifle, to be fair though Nick it's not given me any grief other than that one time at Oaks when the powered dropped right off. The problem is I took the reg off to take the square block in front of the breech block off and I think Pete hit the nail on the head, as it is a harder seal it needed more tightening... not lost any air at all for a few hours and the bag has not inflated nor has the gauge shifted on the bottle... clean, tighten sorted (I hope) but won't know for sure until tomorrow ;)

The Walther hasn't been any more trouble than any of my other rifles and less than my MK4 (which to be fair has been pretty good as well)

9. Feral

Feral New Member

That did the trick. I was too gentle with it first reassembly. Thanks Pete and Don