lead pellets

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Nick Ford, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Nick Ford

Nick Ford New Member

Club:
    Basc bfta Tondu FTC
    If Lead Pellets got banned, what would they use to replace them and how much do you think the replacement pellets will cost?

2. Nick Ford

Nick Ford New Member

Club:
    Basc bfta Tondu FTC
    I'm sure they will make them a ridiculous price, then sales will drop and our precision shooting might be affected also, a different material will give different results then maybe Lead pellets will be sorely missed...

3. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

There are many non lead pellets available now, all seem to be obsessed with being extremely light though and I have yet to try one that comes remotely close to the accuracy of the best lead ones.

4. WarrenC

WarrenC New Member

My results with non lead have never been good and I've had a lot. Worst comes to worst just cast your own, personally don't think they could ever ban lead shot

5. RapidTM1000

RapidTM1000 New Member

recent test in a popular mag stated they were now as accurate as Lead pellets............

6. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Out to what distance ?

7. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    It's a two year old post but... it's probably only a matter of time.

If and when they are banned, there will be a much bigger market than there is now for more accurate alternatives and the volumes produced will drive down the cost. There will be a commercial payoff for development of more accurate alternatives. All-metal alternatives from tin, softer zinc alloys, maybe copper. Composite designs using plastics e.g. modern versions of Prometheus that you might even be able to hit stuff with and don't leave plastic swarf in the rifling! Maybe even discarding sabots. Yes I know they have been tried before too; but they might work if not designed to sell as a gimmick. Hopefully designs will be developed that work well in barrels optimised for lead pellets, though we may need to lose the chokes.

8. Slip Stream

Slip Stream Experienced novice

Club:
    Silver Fox Shooting Experience.
    They could use " spent uranium " like the military ?
    Advantage being able to track your pellet in flight,:rolleyes:as well as it's dark:cool: