Laser Rangefinder advice

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by bmws1000rr, Nov 22, 2012.

1. bmws1000rr

bmws1000rr New Member

Ok need a laser rangefinder for setting up guns and practice And ideas advice on different models and the ones to avoid also best value chrono for evaluating deviation over a string of shots.

Cheers John

2. Dave g

Dave g Member

John, I use a Deben Hawke pro 600 rangefinder - 6x mag and solar powered so you can leave it in the sunlight to recharge, had no problems with it and would recommend it.
    Chrono I now have is a Skan Pro 1 Series 3, easy to use and can use indoors under flourescent lighting and gives accurate results, I have had an Alpha Shooting Chrony which gave accurate results but needs to be used outdoors in daylight unless you get their lighting rig.

3. bmws1000rr

bmws1000rr New Member

Thanks Dave
    Will look into both

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Stay clear of Bushnell rangefinders. I don't like them at all!

5. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    My advice would be forget the laser range finder, and shoot a properly measured zero range, as for a good chrono, combro would be a good choice..:)

6. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Those rangefinders sold in wellington stores are not for precise rangefinding. If y'd like to know the real distance use professional rangefinders designed for engineers, they measure within a mm. Buy only laser products, not ultrasound devices but the cheapest model will do. I don't trust distances on the zero ranges, sometimes they are precise but sometimes just guessed, it's better to measure for yourself if you want to calibrate your rifle.

I'm using a small Combro chrony and it seems to be more than enough, if you calibrate it with the amount given by the manufacturer, it measures pretty well and you can carry it with you anywhere. The only thing what you have to pay attention is that it measures 5-10 fps lower if the sun shines onto it or the barrel looks at a very bright land, keep it always in shadow when measuring. If connected to a computer you can save the shot results and see stastistics, extremes and deviation for the last x shots.

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    use a tape measure if you can... and the same one...

if you can use a combro, do... cheap and easy to carry :)

8. bmws1000rr

bmws1000rr New Member

Laser Range Finder and Chrono advice

Thanks all purchased a combro chrono works well but does read about 10 fps slow as has been noted before have recalibrated it to match 2 others I have got results for. As for rangefinder think I will go the old fashioned way with the tape measure as suggested.

Tested friends bsa super 10 on the chrono very consistant at 13.9ftlbs not a happy chap only had it a week...secondhand..