Lady new to HFT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Muffatt, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Muffatt

Muffatt New Member

Hi everyone

I've found my way onto this forum after looking at the UKAHFT website.

I usually spend my weekends doing field archery, I shoot all over the country, mainly 3D animal targets on unmarked distances up to 60 yards, I shoot a compound bow.

My husband does a lot of clay shooting, game, rough etc and after having a play on the airgun range at Kelmarsh game fair earlier in the year and hitting 18 out of 20 targets it was suggested that I might enjoy having a go at HFT?

I dont know much about HFT other that its set in the woods, shooting unmarked distances from 8-45 yards, it sounds great fun given my archery background :)

I live north of Nottingham so I would like to find a club nearby.

I also need advice about a suitable air rifle/scope to buy and any other kit I might need? I'm left handed.

Any advice would be much appreciated :D

Thanks, Celeste

2. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Welcome to the forum :)

Possibly the closest competitive HFT clubs to you maybe Kibworth or Hollins Green, i'm sure one of the kibby or HG people wil be along shortly. Don't be in a rush to go and buy something until you have been to a club and sampled some different kinds of kit. (most people usually offer)

You can be competitive with spending approx £300 or so, but you can also spend *ahem* "LOTS" if the bug bites.:)

atb

3. brianf51

brianf51 Fort AGC

Club:
    Fort AGC
    Hi Celeste and welcome to the forum, can only echo Dave's remarks. Don't rush out and spend your money until you've had a good look at whats on offer and what suits you.

4. Muffatt

Muffatt New Member

Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm not going to rush into buying anything yet, it would be good to find a club and have a chat and see what people are using first.

When I did the have-a-go I used a Daystate rifle, I cant remember which one it was now but it was LH and was nice and comfortable to use.

I do find being a left handed archer that bows, sights etc are harder to come by so I'm presuming that will be the same with HFT?

It's a shame as my husband has a nice .22 with scope but its RH so no good for me :(

5. MattF

MattF New Member

Club:
    Chesterfield HFT Club
    Hi
    And welcome to the forum if you want to come and have a go at HFT your more than welcome to come to Hollins Green we are based just outside ClayCross nr Chesterfield we have a couple of left handed shooters so borrowing a rifle to use is more than possible if your interested PM me for details

atb Matt

6. Muffatt

Muffatt New Member

Thats very kind of you Matt, I'll drop you a PM :)

7. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Welcome to the forum and I can only agree with all the others before hand that try as many as you can before you make a decision.

Unfortunately there are very few turely left handed rifles the most are right handed actions in a left handed stock. With regards scopes they are, I believe, all right hand baised. But seeing as the scope it not touched during HFT shoots it make no real difference.

Whatever you decied to buy enjoy and get your hubby out there as well :D

8. Sharpe

Sharpe Semper fidelis

Club:
    Maldon
    Welcome Celeste, as Dave says, it is a bug that bites.
    Good harmless fun! :)

9. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Hello and welcome. Hope to see you at Hollins Green if you decide to come up for a visit.

Dave

10. Muffatt

Muffatt New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and nice PMs :)

I've had offer to go down to Hollins Green and a try of a LH Daystate mk4 and also some suggestions on other airguns for lefties.

My nearest shop is Drapers in Nottingham so I'll pop down there with hubby to see what they have (I wont be buying anything yet tho!)

I was wondering does the HFT season run all year or do you guys put everything away for the winter or have a winter league? Do you all shoot outdoors or do you have indoor practice in the winter?

I find field archery tends to die off from November to February so I definitely want something that will fill in the gaps over winter, I cant bear being indoors on weekends!

11. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    HFT is mud rolling at it's finest during the winter months. Hollins Green participate in the North West series shoots, dates & venues below:)

WINTER GAUNTLET SHOOTS
    R1- FURNESS MARKSMEN OCT 16th.
    R2- RIVI NOV 20th
    R3- FORT DEC 4th
    R4- TAWD JAN 8th
    R5- OLDHAM FEB 5th
    R6- RIVI MARCH 4th (hosted by HOLLINS GREEN)

12. raygun

raygun Non member

Hi Celeste,

Hollins Green are doing well and shoot in the Northwest Gauntlet Comps. The Summer series has just finished but we are shortly starting our Winter series.

I'm sure the Hollins lot will give all the advice and help you need, and probably some you don't :D

ATB
    Ray.

13. Cop Out & Dead Shot

Cop Out & Dead Shot Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    Ray, How very dare you suggest that inappropriate comments .............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: