UKAHFT kneeling on cushions

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Questions and Answers' started by Dayglowfroggy, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Dayglowfroggy

Dayglowfroggy Member

I Have bad knees 50%of the time because i work on my knees .

I still want to get good at kneelers when i can practise .

Are there any tricks or statagies i am missing out on ?

I Have two identicle shooting cusions (by acident but it comes in handy )

I will be practising this week with Lotts of carpet underlay inside to make it a very firm cushion against my other soft one .

Can't find any rules about the cushion just that you can use one .

I Will try a knee pad as well in case that's better.

Need to hose of my hft boots now so i can use them currently smelling a bit piggy from Cambridge hft

2. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    I use knee pads inserted in my work trousers and they give good padding, and I can't think there'd be any objection to you using an additional strap-over knee pad as well and I'd think that would be more than enough. Most people use their cushion for the height benefit, to raise the shin and make kneelers more comfortable, rather than to pad the knee.

3. Dayglowfroggy

Dayglowfroggy Member

Ever since starting hft the strangest rule I have trouble getting my head round is the kneeler rule about not sitting on the flat of your foot .

Surly if you were hunting you would want to use the most stable platform you could for a prescribed shot not artificially hamper yourself into wobbling around on the end of your foot in a position that's hard to master and painful ,well that's what i seem to do anyway.

Its not as if some people would be at a major advantage if everyone was allowed to sit on there feet and I bet lots of hunters do sitting shots anyway.

I actually surprised myself by getting a good for me score on Sunday but missed all the kneelers and got one stander so its the most obvious place I could pick up points .

4. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I'm finally letting it out....I hate the way kneelers are allowed with any cushions, kneeling rolls etc. Makes me laugh because like you I would take a kneeler with the top of my foot flat on the floor. Not allowed, but I can shove a kneeling roll inbetween the gap to get rock solid (apparently) and that's okay. Again-this does depend on which set of rules we're using, but they all allow some form of support or cushion where I think none should be allowed. Standing is standing, make the best position you can and if allowed wear a shooting jacket-same for kneeling; keep being told they are target sports, not hunting simulations. Rant over...:)

Ash Bailey likes this.
  5. Bensile

Bensile Active Member

Club:
    Emley moor
    Kneeling is about your body position in reference to you points of contact.

In a good position I can hold as steady as prone on a peg. I tend to be okay mostly but aware by posting this I’ll never hit one ever again.

I do not use a roll or cushion for that reason as they can push your foot position out. I’m not against rolls as I do understand that some shooters have bad ankles and knees. I do wear a knee pad but this is to stop stones and sharp bits sticking in my knee.

My recommendation is to make sure your back kneeling leg is as right angle to the target as you can get. Put the weight on this leg hence the possibility of needing a roll. Have your arm support leg pointing at the target and put your arm elbow just behind the knee cap. Most people have a natural dent. Allow your arm to go forward to support the rifle.

Make sure your comfortable of course.

Trigger arm allow to come to your side. You should however be able to remove hand from the gun and it stay stable.

Now there’s a lot of breathing and other stuff going on but in essence that’s the basics and remember to pull the trigger of course.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Roger Pardy likes this.
  6. Rotherham Owl

Rotherham Owl Air Arms Poster Boy

Club:
    The Anston Massive
    And try to avoid having a group of taunting morons behind you.

7. marojaz

marojaz Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    Now then Steve, that's no way to speak about your mates at Anston.........:D

8. bow

bow Active Member

I think Steve was referring to the Emily Ponte lads. I.e. Woodend. Some reference was made to the time it took him to take his kneeling shot and the continental drift that might have influenced the shot. He got it. Brilliant shot.
    Steve. I was just watching the buds coming out on that tree. Honest.:p:)

Panch likes this.
  9. Rotherham Owl

Rotherham Owl Air Arms Poster Boy

Club:
    The Anston Massive
    I certainly was my Steyr Squire friend.

10. Bensile

Bensile Active Member

Club:
    Emley moor
    When did that happen Steve.

Oh yeah that’ll be woodend

11. Bensile

Bensile Active Member

Club:
    Emley moor
    Good to know that more than one set of morons are barracking Steve.

Goes to show a common theme. Mind you as Glenn said he did hit the shot when we had a go so I encourage everyone to take up the barracking option as he obviously loves it and it improves Steve’s shooting.

Look forward to you clear the next course Steve.

12. Steve V

Steve V The six million dollar man

Club:
    None
    I’ve got arthritis in my knees and feet, kneeling shots are incredibly painful for me and as such I’ve always struggled with the kneelers. I haven’t shot HFT for quite a few years now so I’m quite pleased that you are allowing more support to take these shots.

13. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    The use of a kneeling roll actually makes the position more stable and a hell of a lot more comfortable.
    Previous to using a roll I used to get pain in my toes and even cramp occasionally which is dire.
    Using a roll I can quite happily stay in position and get totally settled for the shot whereas before I'd be rushing trying to get the shot off before the pain got too much.

mod23 and Darron like this.
  14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Bear in mind this says UKAHFT in the title and is in the UKAHFT forum ;)

15. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
  16. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    If you mean in the laces down position, this is legal, the only thing you can't do, is sit on a turned foot.

Pic here

HFT Positions explained

17. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    This is from a while back, and I don't shoot UKAHFT anymore (not because I don't want to, just down here in the westcountry we're on different rules) but my foot was like none of the pictures. I can go laces down but also turn my foot out, not in under my bum. So from my knee down everything is on the floor including the inside of my ankle.

18. rogb

rogb Member

We're not hunting, we are shooting targets in a rule and format-defined target sport. Big difference.

Welsh Wizard and LANKY MK like this.
  19. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    I am the same as you so I mostly always stand a kneeler. It is very rare I will attempt kneeling.

20. Steve V

Steve V The six million dollar man

Club:
    None
    I tend to rush kneelers because it hurts so much. Getting down isn’t a problem, it’s getting up! I’m going to experiment with a roll of some description to see if it relieves enough pressure on my foot and ankle to make it bearable to shoot kneeling.