Kneeling / crouching

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by skires, Feb 20, 2012.

1. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I've just looked at the UKAHFT rules for 2012.

Re kneeling ( I know there's been so much talk about kneeling so sorry ).

If one of the Petes could answer this please as everyone else's comments are welcome but it's only official UKAHFT comment that really means a hoot.

I see that this is now added ...

NOTE: The leading leg cannot be pulled back so the calf is supported by the hamstrings or lower buttocks, this is classed as a crouching shot & is not allowed. The leading foot must not touch or be supported by the beanbag.

When was this added please?

I've looked at the pics from some of the events and there are some interesting kneelers.:D

I'm a dwarf with tiny legs and a long back so a standard kneeling stance causes me problems. My head ends up way too high. So I end up lowering my buttocks a little lower than most to line up the eye. This naturally tends to mean that the front ( left leg ... I'm right handed ) leg tends to be more 'folded' at the knee. It's also natural then that the calf and hamstring make contact.

I've found this pic from a Midland's shoot. I don't know the chap in the pic and I don't know how tall he is, so this is nothing to do with him ... it's just an example.

Here

That looks a perfectly good kneeling position to me ... but his calf is being supported by his hamstring.

Is this ok Petes?

Many thanks

Colin

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The picture is just about legal but much further back & a marshal would have a polite word in a National comp. If you look at the picture.. it would be illegal if the front foot was pulled back so the calf was in contact with the rear left pocket of his jeans.

Unfortunately you can't cover every variation of position & body shape with the simple wording used in the rules & we don't really want to end up with a rule book about an inch thick.

The addition to the 2012 rules was included to stop people pulling the front foot so far back that they are gaining extra support by using a crouching position.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete

That's fair enough fella and I understand the comment re covering every possibilty and ending up with a Bible.

I'll have to have a play and improve my front leg a little.

Cheers

Colin

4. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I think the message that comes across is that the rules are kept as simple as possible and will hopefully cover most eventualities with some sensible interpretation.

There could be a million one off situations ...

... I've got a wooden leg ... can I bolt it to the peg during kneelers?

To cover ALL possibilities would need a rule book a foot thick.

I'd just spotted that addition and wanted to clarify the calf/hamstring part. I suppose 'don't take the piss' is a reasonable interpretation of the rules.

Please don't turn the thread into a ... 'well what about this' circus as it will just be the same answer.

Colin

PS Oooh the post I was responding too has ... Poooof ... ; )

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

It's amazing how many posts do that on here Boz!;):D

6. Gerry

Gerry Member

Club:
    None
    I think we are becoming a bit pedantic about the whole kneeling business .:rolleyes: :(

Every single person is built differently , some will be able to kneel very stable, others will struggle .

Way too many "things" to try & catch out shooters in the kneeling position , in my opinion .:)

7. stillwater

stillwater Well-Known Member

Club:
    Misfits
    The guy in the picture had never shot HFT before the Yeavely Round,
    And had an experienced shooter taking him round showing him how to do things.
    As Gerry has said we are all different shaped and sizes and what is comfortable for one may be painful for someone else, but I am sure there are very few people out there that are deliberatley trying to cheat on kneelers.

8. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Colin you should also note that the chap in the pic unless he has very big feet :eek: is not touching the peg, something else that is mandatory in every shot not just the kneelers.

Simon.

9. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

That's true and at most comps the chap would have been (very) politely nudged that he wasn't touching the peg. I'm posiitve that there are quite a few people out there that think the comps are strict, no talking, full on target comps. You couldn't be further from the truth. Of course there are rules to follow but the emphasis (for me) has always been to have fun shooting tin chickens as well as i can:D

I really don't sare as long as i beat Mark, Paul and Duane..:D;):D:D:D

10. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    or it could just be that someone said "can i get a picture " and the guy struck a pose but was not actually taking a shot or he could have been "sighting" the shot before repositioning :)

11. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Don't think youve got much worry there Chris, It's Mandy with her standers that you need to watch out for:D

12. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw that his foot wasn't touching the peg.

This was nothing to do with the guy in the pic. I was aiming no criticism at him at all.

Just keep enjoying chaps.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  13. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    A kneeling position is a kneeling position. Everyone has different anatomy so the way they knee may look slightly different to how someone else kneels. The rule are there (i presume from reading them) to stop people from deliberately crouching . As long as your sitting on your heel (not instep) you shouldn't have a problem

Someone with a shorter (long) bone anatomy of the leg would still be kneeling it would be just slightly more compact. I can't see anyone questioning it tbh. As Chris said its a relaxed bunch in HFT:D:D

14. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Maybe we should all just be allowed to do this::D

[​IMG]

(my apologies to Sandy for exposing him in this way!)

15. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    That looks a bit heavy to carry from peg to peg?.... suppose you could roll it;):D

16. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Pfft, one fluke does not make a HFT champ:D:D:rolleyes::D;)....i had to do loads.

made oi laarf:D