Knee bag/pad

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by zahed2010, Nov 2, 2013.

1. zahed2010

zahed2010 Member

Club:
    Casleton FT Club
    Can anyone recommend a good quality knee pad/bag for field target please?

Z

2. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
  3. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers, Basingstoke ARPC
  4. zahed2010

zahed2010 Member

Club:
    Casleton FT Club
  5. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    I don't have one personally, all of my stuff is pretty old now, but I've seen a few being used and they look OK. The cordura is pretty heavy duty and I guess the price reflects the fact they aren't mass produced and you can get some funky colours. Everyone tends to either have a black one or camo so it's a bit different I guess and I'm sure they would post you a sample of the material if you asked, they might even be able to do a custom one to match your rifle. The ones that BAR do are about £20 +P&P so it's only a few quid more, it's not the cheapest but I wouldn't call it expensive for the standard £26 bag? Avoid the really cheap bags made from thin nylon with cheap zips, they puncture really easily if you sit on a root or a piece of flint and the zips can go. One of the guys at the club had one that had a hole in so he always left a trail of poly beads behind him, we reckoned it was so he could always find his way back to the burger van if he got lost.

I have an old Logun branded bag from about 2003 and it's had some pretty hard use. It was put away for a few years but is still good as new. All of the seams are tight, no weak spots, leaks or abrasions but it's had quite a few cubic metres of new poly beads added over the years!

I'm not a fan of knee pads so never tried one for more than a few seconds as I really don't like the feel of the straps. Again, I've seen these ones and they look fine. On the lads rifle he found it uncomfortable on the knee without some kind of padding so I stuck some self adhesive neoprene sheet on the hamster and it's worked a treat, and was only a couple of quid. You can't forget to take it to a shoot either. It gives a bit of cushioning and it's much grippier on his trousers.

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Kiltys Bags

Speak to kilty on here to get far and away the best FT bag of the lot ??? HOLLY

PS it is large , strong and not expensive . as said i have shot mine , run over it and dragged it aound the country for years and years .

7. Wayne65

Wayne65 Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
  8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
  9. zahed2010

zahed2010 Member

Club:
    Casleton FT Club
    Thanks for the answers, but what I am after is a pad that straps to the knee to raise the gun up slightly and provides a grippy surface.

10. zahed2010

zahed2010 Member

Club:
    Casleton FT Club
    Got one of these already - and they are very good.

11. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    I've seen a few shooters that use the knee pads carpet layers use, you can get something similar for gardening. Might be worth a look and probably really cheap as it's not shooting related. Don't forget that the BFTA rules say it can't give any lateral support to the rifle, so it mustn't 'cup' the stock at all.

You can get non slip tape that they use around swimming pools, it's a completely clear and highly textured stick on tape that stops you slipping on wet surfaces. I got a small sample a few years ago and stuck it on the hamster which is really grippy and not abrasive but deck tape for skateboards used to be popular, looks and feels like wet and dry sandpaper. Not ideal if it's going straight onto the stock though.

12. mod23

mod23 --Sywell--

Club:
    .... Sywell... Waresley .....
    I have an equifix knee pad with top grip on it,if your interested I could send you a photo.