Keep it Dry

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Spencer, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Spencer

Spencer Sniper in Black

Club:
    Treetops
    This may sound obvious to everyone but as we know moisture can destroy our guns.

Unless you've been on Mars you will be well aware that the rain has been plaguing us for what seems like a forever now.

So this means for those that have ventured out with their guns in this is constant downpour, you are going to have to be extra vigilant against rust!

Unfortunately, i've had a few friends caught out recently, despite what they thought was a thorough clean and dry! They have have fallen victim to the dreaded Rust! Seeing beautiful bluing tarnished breaks my heart!

So to help preserve the finish on our prized possessions i have a top tip!

After cleaning drying and putting away I would advise a simple addition to your gun cabinet/storage area! A damp trap! Its a plastic pot filled with silica gel granules that has a water trap at the bottom. You can buy them for as little as 70p from supermarkets and other homewear shops. They last for months (depending on how damp your storage area is) and you can actually see the water that gets trapped, so simply replace the pot with a new one when its full.

This should suck up any remnants of moisture left on the gun and in the air and help protect against rust. This won't substitute for good cleaning practices but I hope this helps.

2. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

Good tip! I'm not sure why but I always get the urge to eat the silica? :D

3. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

you must be pregnant Tommy! :eek: :confused:

4. Spencer

Spencer Sniper in Black

Club:
    Treetops
    Do not eat

Lol!

Im sure ive read it somewhere that you should not eat it! ;) lol

Can't think where i read that tho!:D

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Do be careful as it can damage wooden stocks, VP90, Zerust or anything else with VCI's is better bet. Always stock off after a soaking and it's well worth a drop of lube in the head of every bolt.:)

6. Spencer

Spencer Sniper in Black

Club:
    Treetops
    Stock off is good advice along with lube on the screw heads. All my stocks are synthetic so sometimes i forget to consider you guys with wooden ones.

7. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    The tablets are not silica,c an't remember the name think it's calcium chloride, these http://www.amazon.co.uk/UniBond-1807921-Aero-360-Moisture-Absorber/dp/B00F1DNYFO
    Like I say you have to be careful not to spill/splash the water. This time last year I had 4 walnut stocked rifles in the cabinet one a GC2 and never had any problems with damp . My cabinets are in the loft space ( bungalow)

Just be very careful when you come to empty the container as the water is salty:eek: I use a UNIBOND container with a grill on top and I buy loads of the re-fill tablets . Buy during the summer and they are very cheap . One tablet last about two months in my cabinets, no mildew or rust. Just to check I have placed steel washers on the shelf to monitor for rust starting, been using it for four years with no problems.
    Also put VP90 packs in as well .

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  8. Spencer

Spencer Sniper in Black

Club:
    Treetops
    The containers i have suggested are sealed and are thrown away whole, water and all.:)

9. Spencer

Spencer Sniper in Black

Club:
    Treetops
    Damp trap picture

If ive done this right here is a picture of the item I use.

Attached Files:

10. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Used those at first, but found the powder could spill out, I will take a photo of the one I use but it will be tomorrow .
    Mine looks like an ASDA soup container :) but the lid has slots in to let the water drain into the container, when first bought it used a small tablet with a grill cover to hold it in place, they didn't last long so binned the cover and placed the 300g tablet on top. It sits on a shelf in the cabinet so is stable and won't tip over, like I said Iv'e used the same container for four years, no problems at all

11. Spencer

Spencer Sniper in Black

Club:
    Treetops
    Thanks for all your input guys, its good to get your experience on this, you can't beat tried and tested! So i hope people reading this find it useful. Has anyone got any other "top tips" for gun maintenance?:)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015