Keep it clean...

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Malc HW100, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Malc HW100

Malc HW100 New Member

Club:
    MAD
    So, I've had my rifle a couple of months, and put about 2500 pellets through it. The nice man at the shop said that I didn't need to worry about maintenance as they cover everything, however, I am certain that I should have a cleaning / preventative maintenance routine. I'm sure a rub over with WD40 would be better than nothing, but I can see about a thousand lotions, potion and lubricants on the market. Do I need to worry about the woodwork, or just the metal?
    My question is; what is your cleaning / maintenance routine, and what products are best??

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Oil and PCPs don't make a good mix, it tends to get to places you don't want it to.

Generally just keep clean, and dry, wipe with a very lightly oiled rag at tops. Store indoors dry.

If gets sodden, remove from stock and dry and clean.

3. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Hi Malc,
    Have a word with Mr Vant about your mtce routine, what he don't know dont matter, 2500 shots through my guns would give pretty poor accuracy to say the least , BUT lots of barrells behave different , my 400 likes a clean but dont perform for 50 odd shots my 900 on the other hand loves a clean and is ok after about 5 or 6 , probably getting rid of excess oil, its all a bit of a learning curve mate, get yerself down to petes and do a before and after, this will get your confidence in what your doing sorted

4. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Pretty sure that WD40 affects bluing??