WHFTA Juniors

Discussion in 'WHFTA Official forum' started by simple, Apr 10, 2017.

1. simple

simple New Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT
    Could someone please clarify when a junior shooter is to take their shot within their shooting group.
    I have been told they should shoot first and last, but there is absolutely nothing in current rules to clarify this.
    We always shoot like the junior is just another shooter.

Simon.

2. Highwayman

Highwayman World Jnr Champion 2016

Club:
    North Oxon
    Juniors are real shooters too !

We have never been told that ...... Josh has been shooting since he was 14 and we have always used the traditional approach ie; ask your shooting partners if they have any preference on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc then agree the order amongst yourselves. I'm pretty good at reading rules & I've never come across that one.
    Good luck and enjoy ! :shot: Josh & Mum (Tricia)

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Without going through the UKAHFT rules....i suspect that might actually be true. IIRC there used to be a father and son team (i won't mention names) where the father would shoot first and tell his Junior son the range, what the wind did and how he shot the target.

4. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Chris got this right but a few years ago we change it that the adult shot first as a similar this was happening.
    I only speak for WHFTA and UKAHFT, but the responsible adult with the junior must shoot first out of them

Pete

5. Highwayman

Highwayman World Jnr Champion 2016

Club:
    North Oxon
    My mum doesn't shoot !

Never been a problem for us as my mum doesn't shoot :eek: Maybe that's why it hasn't been mentioned to us :confused: Is it not just something for the other shooters or Marshalls to sort out rather than the Rule Book ? In some sports it's classified as 'outside assistance' and dealt with at the time.

6. simple

simple New Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT
    I personally feel that if you rotate shooters on each peg, it makes no difference where the junior shoots.
    My issue is, this will come up during the world's weekend and I have no definitive answer as there is no official guidance within the rules.

Obviously help from other shooters as to range, wind etc is not permitted, it's nearly impossible to police parents or friends discussing targets before during or after the shot.

My own daughter will occasionally ask me how far I think the target is before she shoots It and I'll tell her.
    Most of the time I'm wrong and she'll miss!

Simon.

7. Amas77

Amas77 New Member

It's easier for me to shoot before my son as it gives me a few more minutes where he's not taking the mick about another shot that he got and I missed! ;-)

8. cocksure

cocksure Weihrauch flasher mac....

Has any of you tried giving advice to a child that doesn't want it? You can't do it.. " leave me alone Dad, I know what I' m doing.."

And if a junior does want advice, then who would really say ' No, they must do it on their own.??..' If they want advice then they need it, and should be allowed some lee-way as new shooters....same as your friend, your missus...and YOU at your first seasons shoots.....

I saw a little dude at Links, 3ft tall...knocking them down after his dad had set the gun steady, told him what to shoot at..it was the most joyfully thing to see. But when his Dad said 'well done etc' he didn't care, he was busy...being a child.:D

A competent junior doesn't need the 'junior' bit and I should think would want to shoot with the main scores as soon as possible...a 13 yr old learns FAST and is perfectly capable of mixing it in the main group!!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  9. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    It's not in the rules but afaik it goes in the safety brief. Perhaps the current version of that should go on the uk site ? ;)

10. Peter M

Peter M Cantankerous primate

Club:
    NMHFT
    @Sparky can I have confirmation of the rulings in this please. I've put it up here so it viewable by those that might need it.
    I'm guardian for one of the young Scottish lads this year and whenever I've shot with him in the past he has always shot last of our group.
    I don't think he will gain much advantage by this as he's a better shooter than me (not hard I know) but he has a chance in the junior section and I wouldn't want people grumbling about this if he does well.
    Many thanks :)

11. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hi

This used to be the rule but 2 years ago we changed the rules due to some situations happening and the junior shoots after the parent/guardian but it’s still the same that no information can be shared.

Pete

12. Peter M

Peter M Cantankerous primate

Club:
    NMHFT
    Thanks for the prompt reply Pete :cool: