JSB V AA Express

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by thebaron, Jan 17, 2015.

1. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    Can anyone give me a good reason as to why the 7.9 Grain JSB Exact Express .177 pellets are so much cheaper to buy than the equivalent AA Diablo Express.

The AA Express seem to command a £2 premium/tin over the JSBs. Why?

Other than additional quality controls in place for the AA branded pellets, I can see no other reason.

2. Mally106

Mally106 Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    pellets

That's because AA buy the pellets off JSB as they are made by JSB

I would say that JSB on average are also better quality than AA also

3. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    I also find that the AA Exprees run 20fps lower than JSBs in most of my SPRINGERS.

4. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    I know where your coming from but tbh Personaly the amont of effort and cost involved, 2 quid a tin is two cups of tea at a shoot or 20 miles getting to one , if I could source the pellets that go well in my rifles I would be happy at 50 quid a tin, the amount of posts you see testing batches at different ranges in different types of guns does my head in , I think finding a barrel that isnt fussy is a god send , dont get me wrong , I had a bloke with minute groups at an indoor range with a tx200 insist on me giving them a go in my ftp , he had about 10 mm at 50 yds sort of bench rested ,mine was bout 35 mm, and no, dont bother asking what die I would pay 50 quid a tin for as I would hate for this to turn into an auction :rolleyes:
    ps worst move I did was buying scales , recipe for insomnia, still if it gives you confidece go for it

5. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    AA buy the pellets from JSB in the first place, AA then have a network of retail outlets that they have to supply pellets to at a trade price. AA make a profit, the retailer makes a profit - that's 2 middlemen in the mix both making a profit.

I don't believe there are tighter quality controls for AA pellets over JSB's own brand label.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the way AA used their muscle to stop JSB supplying pellets in bulk to clubs a few years back, so for that reason alone I won't buy AA branded pellets.

6. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    AA Diablo Express

Yes I guess the additional stockist (John Rothery Wholesale) must add a premium to the price but this would not explain why the AA Diablo Express are also normally £2/tin more expensive than the heavier 8.4 grain AA Field.:confused:

The price of the AA Diablo Express does seem to deter some gun shops from stocking them which is a shame as they are a great pellet.

I guess there is probably a limit as to how much many airgun shooters will pay for a tin of .177 pellets. My own experience of theAA Express pellets is that they are superbly made and I may have been lucky but there have rarely been misshapen/damaged ones in the tins I have bought.

7. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Usual % are:

Manufacturer at least doubles his costs, distributor buys at 50% of RRP and shops adds 40% on distributor price.