JSB Express/Webley Mosquito Size Comparison

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by PeteM, May 6, 2011.

1. PeteM

PeteM New Member

I have noticed a lot of folk believe that JSB Express & Webley Mosquito's are the same pellet.
    They are not.

They are both made by JSB, but they come from completely different dies.
    I have that information directly from JSB.

If you look at the two pellets in the attached photo you will see that the Mosquito (RHS) has a slightly longer head than the Express (LHS). ;)

Attached Files:

2. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

i make you completely right there mate my steyr loves the mozzys but if i put the jsb express through it the old steyr dont like them and the poi is very different i find they drop off more after about 38 yards than the mozzys do , i only found this out after buying a sleeve of jsb express :eek:

il be sticking with the mozzys :D

griggzy

3. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    has the jsb express got a flat inside,their were two dies of mozzies the ones with a flat in the back are crap and have notice this in jsb express as well

4. PeteM

PeteM New Member

This batch of Express are not flat inside, but the Mozzie's I have, are flat in the back.
    My Steyr 110 loves these as long as I clean the barrel every 100 or so. 6 to 9mm groups at 55 yards.

5. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    My Express are flat inside, they are fine in my ev2 :)

6. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    found in mozzies with the flat were pants,i got give some jsb express with flates i could not get them group to as tight,and as good on groups,i woz just wondering if its still happening with jsb express,this is running a lg100 barley twist which only clean every 300 pellets or so with felts which dont really clean the barrel propaly

7. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    I did a quick comparison between mozzies and express and find that the express are slightly shorter. Mozzie 5.50mm, express 5.38mm.

I haven't compared weights but with some weighed Exacts the ones that are lighter than 0.550gms are shorter (slightly) and those heavier (0.56gm) are slightly longer. Which kind of makes sense in that the wire stock(?) is cut reasonably accurately but there will be a variation. Head size is hard to measure since it needs a jig of some sort to keep the pellet at 90deg to the vernier caliper (I used to have a good quality micrometer but haven't been able to find it in years, sadly) but even so the caliper only measures to 0.01mm so everything is +/- 0.01 at least). I didn't see a huge difference between the mozzie (4.46 to 4.48mm) and express (4.46 to 4.48mm) and the exacts all seemed similar (and it gets boring very quickly)

So variation in length equals weight which means small changes in fps but I would imagine that variations in length will produce effects which differ from barrel to barrel, differing BC, differing who knows what :-( However, for those that weigh it may help to improve consistency if pellet length matters while measuring the head dia. is harder but again may show difference between batches/dies.

Cheers
    Neil

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Contradicts Pete with the JSB reps at the worlds last year who told me they were, but they (or had) run up to 12 dies for the mozzies/expresses. Even within the runs that exist, we can see differences between them, and that you can find common pellets between them.

9. Globalstar66

Globalstar66 Member

I don't think Mozzies are made anymore.

At World's last year, Pavel (the owner of JSB) told me they were not supplying Webley with these pellets any longer. Not sure if there's still a lot of stock around, but that was the message 7 months ago...

10. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    no more stocki of mozzies around they are drying up,but jsb express are looking good in some batches

11. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Neath gun shop has mozzies if any one is looking for them

12. Jon

Jon Member

With regards different lengths, you have always had that in the same tin. A dies a die and should come out exactly the same many thousands down the line.
    One thing JSB have never answered is how many dies go in to one tin!

Express with flat in shirt dont group as well but are more stable above 3mph winds, still got 13 tins left, i quickly sold the conventional last year as they were unpredictable above a breeze.

Also have early Mozzies when they were proper Webley with flat in the skirt, plus Rob had some a few years ago a lot newer.

13. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Having switched to Express from Mosquitos, I have not noticed a great deal of difference in their characteristics. However, I intend to weigh and lube a tin of my last remaining stock of Webleys tomorrow night and to try them both to see if some 45 yard testing brings out any variation.

Andy