IWA- Steyr Hunter 5

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Mar 10, 2012.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    I handled & shouldered the hunter - Its well balanced & really comfortable...although the aesthetic design leaves me wanting more (IMHO)...just imagine mating the action to a Gary Cane laminate...would be just superb ! the cocking is smooth as a Baileys coffee !

Met with Harry P. & his son. Both charming, until I start hearing the huffing & puffing 'spiel' about grey imports coming into UK, and the great cost to Steyr in making those power restrictors for the Uk market etc...chuckled to myself quietly, and wondered if Harry was actually the Head of Steyr Sports ...and he continues on about getting XXX German wholesaler needing to stop selling to UK retailers and Steyr should do something about it :eek:...(now am thinking - "you want a monopoly ?" :rolleyes: ) And this was in front of the head honcho of Steyr...:eek: an embarrassing moment, but to break the ice, I did tell Harry, UK buyers open their wallets, and if they choose to buy from the 2 UK grey importers or mainland Europe...well, that's their choice. To which he replied, he wouldnt be servicing their grey guns; to diffuse the situation, I told him I would personally buy from him a Hunter 5, as UK pricing is no different from Euro shops...and that seemed to do the trick...and the Head guy of Steyr Sports seemed to smile with a sigh of relief ! Mmm...funny old world what money$$$ does to people.

Attached Files:

2. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    I think Harry just wants to make sure that if it says Steyr on it, and it's in the UK, he gets his cut.

Which probably isn't any different from any other importer/distributor out there.

I doubt that Hull Cartridge would work on a Weihrauch that didn't have its imprint?

But the problem here, is the nature of the beast. To date, the Steyr rifles that are out there, are essentially repurposed 10m rifles. They're designed from the ground up to be user serviceable and honed on the big day. They were never designed to be sealed, maintenance-free units. Every Steyr shooter I've met, knows their rifle and its internals intimately. If the rifle isn't shooting 100%, then they know exactly which screw has to be turned in order to bring it back on-song. Fettling the rifle this way and getting it absolutely spot-on is a great source of pleasure for Steyr shooters. But it also creates a demand for a 'parts only' channel.

Unfortunately, this enthusiasm is completely at odds with an importer/distributor business model which won't supply 'parts only'. The LG100/110s essentially become locked-down 'no user maintenance' units. Historical data would suggest that many UK based Steyr owners just avoid all the hassle of sourcing their parts from Steyr UK, and get them from Europe instead. The next logical step for many is to source the rifle from abroad as well.

I can totally understand where Harry is coming from. He has to earn a living, and if my Daystate goes tits-up, it has to go back to Daystate after all?

I think in hindsight that if Harry had sold 'parts only' from the get-go, he wouldn't have found himself in this pickle, but rather have commanded a thriving little market for himself. However, enthusiasts have found ways to source grey market LG100/110 parts now, and there's no way that particular genie is going back into the bottle.

The introduction of a completely new rifle, might be an opportune time for everyone involved to rethink their business model? Otherwise history will just repeat itself.

Anyway, I wish Harry all the best, and I hope it all works itself out.

Cam.

3. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Parts Only - difficult or 'unavailable' to source from UK ?

No problem for me, Its an "Open Market" where one sources parts ...see here:

STEYR LG110FT - EXPLODED DIAGRAM & PRICES : http://www.benke-sport.de/online/templatemedia/all_lang/resources/ErsatzteillisteSteyr+LG110+FT.pdf

16 Joules Kit - available here:
    http://www.benke-sport.de/shop/arti...ule-Umrüstset.html?shop_param=cid=13&aid=404&

Now dont get me wrong...Harry & Simon are charming and upright blokes; I just didnt understand the public airing of 'dirty laundry' or politics, or business issues, in front of me (as It wasnt about MY shopping habits but a general rant)...with the Head of Steyr standing there in a 3 way conversation...Ugh ! embarrassing & toe curling stuff.

4. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    The hunter should have the adjustable cheeck piece of the hunter fitted as it will be to low with the optics
    fancy one of these as I found the heanel b96 fun which the same idea the cocking lever seems very forward of the trigger If I rember correctly its was just behind on the B96 and was very slick in operation
    http://airgunz.altervista.org/CatalogoNazionale/Haenel_Suhl_B_96.php
    Gary

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. raygun

raygun Non member

6. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    I just wonder if the terms ‘customer service’ of ‘free market economy’ have any meaning when it comes to dealing with the official Steyr importer. It is totally unreasonable to refuse to sell spare parts for the products he imports. It may make more commercial sense to compete on product pricing and parts availability than alienate the buying public with out dated commercial attitudes reminiscent of the 1950’s.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  7. Rhys

Rhys Member

Club:
    Freelance
    I can see what you are all saying above, but when i recently bought and picked up my LG110 HP from Harry, he was a friendly and helpful guy.

I can see his and others points of the argument. I mean, what would be the point of being the Uk distributor of the product, going to the expense of that, and also agreed getting a cut from it, and then when a grey gun develops a problem or needs something done to it, he is clearly going to be in the firing line because he is known as Steyr Uk.
    Personally, as the costs are about the same, i went for the proper Uk one as i have the back up of a 2 yr guarantee.
    They arent exactly difficult, i can service it myself, but i can see his point about not touching a grey import as although we all know they are in effect the same thing, you should really go back to the place you bought it for support before gunning for the manufacturer.

I have friends who have greys and love them, no problems with them at all, but to not buy from the Uk distributor and then require him to sort something it if does go squiff is a bit unfair really.

As a side note, the hunter 5 does look a pretty nice bit of kit, i can see one being acquired in the near future :D

8. Kenny-W

Kenny-W New Member

As a Steyr owner, it may hurt to accept or work on a Steyr that hasn't gone through your books!
    But if you owned a BMW garage would you ask where it was bought from before you worked on it???
    If Harry supplied parts & serviced grey imports, wouldn't it benefit for him and surely owners would either recommend him to others or chose to buy there next rifle from him!

9. RyanM

RyanM Member

If Harry was willing to take a margin more befitting of a WHOLESALER, the retail prices of Steyr in the UK would be comparable to Europe; slightly cheaper perhaps, because UK dealers work to smaller margins than their EU counterparts.

He would get rid of all the EU imports (I don't subscribe to the term 'grey import', there's nothing grey about it, its the same product) and would have an increase in sales, which would off-set his slightly lower cut.

Keeping the UK retail price artificially high would have been of great financial benefit to him over the years, when there was no route other than him to buy the gun, but isn't the internet a wonderful thing.

He's not the only one of course; Frank Dyke kept retail prices of Anschutz artificially high in the UK for decades - in 2004 I was buying Anschutz gloves from a German dealer, give him a cut, pay shipping, pay VAT, make 15% margin and retail it cheaper than Dyke's price to the trade!

Perhaps Harry should have a look at how well they're doing in the market now - oh wait, they've closed.

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    FWIW, i don't know if it's true, but Steyr doesn't pay Harry for warranty work. So it's either the gun has to go back, or Harry has to find the money from somewhere. Of course, the option is that a gun has to go back I suppose, which is what happened to Walthers at one point. I'm not sure who does their warranty work here anyway. I know in the past that the main distributors were just useless.

But I do find the margins placed upon the uk distribution chain un-warranted. I have a Walther bag here, due to a cock up at Walther they resent me another one, along with an invoice from their parts dept. The price here is on the street is 100% markup on the price from the factory, and that's delivered to my door. It might lack VAT, and it might have not got shipping on, but it's a hell of a margin. Now if there was a direct sales channel, then things would change. In this day and age the chain seems to be too long... and it's not like a lot of stock is held in a warehouse, often it's ordered as required.

Similarly JSB's were being sent to South Africa and on the street at prices about 25% less than what they were here. It was actually cheaper for me to buy them and ship them back than buy from the UK!

I trick seems to be take the euro or $, convert at 1:1 to £ and then add margin to that, and sell. I know several guns at one point a few years ago were 1:1 to the euro when compare from Eu to Uk dealers, despite VAT etc and shipping included, when the exchange rate was 1:1.5...

I've got no truck when value is added at the dealer, but when it's essentially a rubber stamp job i'm looking elsewhere. Customer service in that respect would appear to be the thing the trade needs to work with.

11. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    just re-read my original post...

Was under the impression the UK retail price for the Hunter 5 at would be same as Europe - as my understanding was the Hunter would NOT get a "premium" mark up - ie: same as continent...

oh well...forget UK sourcing.