Its Been A While.........

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SkyTerrapin, Jan 28, 2012.

1. SkyTerrapin

SkyTerrapin New Member

Its been a while (4 decades!) since I last shot an air rifle. Have since dabbled with clay shooting and indoor range pistol shooting.

I feel the urge to try a rifle once more...but how things have changed!:eek:

Have read some mags and catalogues. Fancy a go at HFT.
    Question: in the mags/catalogues the rifles are shown as "prime role" FT HFT Hunter etc. Now.. would a rifle specified as "Hunter" be suitable for HFT or are there some factors in the rifles specified as HFTs that are needed which may not be in those marked as Hunter only? :confused:
    I am particularly interested in a springer rifle (pref under lever) but if I look at just those marked HFT only the choice seems somewhat limited.

Question: As I am in Oxfordshire (Wallingford) does anyone have any comments about the North Oxon Club or perhaps the Newbury Club....do they participate in HRT?

Thanks in advance for any help/info. :)

2. MattF

MattF New Member

Club:
    Chesterfield HFT Club
    Hi

The most common springers used for HFT seem to be the AA TX200 and the HW 97 and 77 but most have been tuned to make the smoother to shoot but warning its addictive :D

atb Matt

3. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi,

My personal view:
    Any rifle is suitable for a go at HFT or FT (it must be .177: there is a .22 comp in HFT but the vast majority use .177)
    If you've not shot an air rifle for a while then shooting a PCP will be a huge surprise; they are virtually recoiless and a real pleasure to shoot.

Jump in

Shaun

4. SkyTerrapin

SkyTerrapin New Member

Thanks for the info so far chaps...most helpful.
    I was looking mainly at 177 anyways.
    Shaun...thanks for the bit about PCP. I have read about them and seen some vids about them...but you know what?......it is because they are recoiless that I would not take that route!!!:D ...dosen't seeem right to me.LOL Just call me old skool.;)
    Cheers people.

5. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Missed the bit about North Oxon.

I know that they have a good HFT set up (not if you're after HRT though :D)

Enjoy

Shaun

6. SkyTerrapin

SkyTerrapin New Member

Hmm ... yes... an easy keyboard errot that one!:)

7. beeker

beeker Member

Club:
    New Caledonian air rifle club
    Hi
    Welcome , As so many members on here will tell you, get to a club [usually very helpful ]and try a few different rifles. keep an open mind regarding differing types. And save the pennies as this sport sucks you in
    Bill