Is This Really Weird?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by JJ, Apr 8, 2013.

1. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    I've just got myself a new springer (TX200) and was setting it up on Sunday.
    As I haven't used a springer for many years I asked one of my fellow club members (a very experienced shooter) to check my zero an ft range settings. However, we immediately found that my zero was 3 minutes of angle out. On the big nikko that was three whole numbers or 24 clicks at 1/8 moa per click. But he was putting pellet on pellet at 30, 25 and 20 yards. But when I tried I found that I also put pellet on pellet but at 3 numbers difference. I then asked another member to try the gun and she used the same settings as me.
    So how can two different shooters pick up the same gun & scope but have different points of impact?
    BTW we did agree on the ft range settings as we found the number of clicks between 30, 35, 45 yard, etc targets to be the same. So how can this be?

:eek::eek::eek:

2. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    different person holding the gun in a different way, was one person resting the gun on his knee and the other on his hand?????? Its not weird really, normal spring gun behaviour... consistant hold is all that's needed...have fun

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. skires

skires Well-Known Member

As said above ... perfectly normal. Due to slightly different holds.

I can move my front hand very slightly away from it's normal position and the poi moves quite a way ( 20 plus clicks at 35 yards ). I can also put a wee bit more pressure on the pistol grip and again poi moves a lot. I have even noticed I can make the poi move sideways by a similar amount by putting more or less pressure on with the tip of my thumb ( pistol grip ).

So different shooters will hold thegun slightly differently and the poi will be different.

Col

4. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Thanks guys,
    It's just that when you have a gun and scope zeroed and two shooters using the same FT shooting position you expect x to mrk the spot. But apparetly not so...

5. Tye

Tye Shabba

Club:
    Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC
    No gun can be set up the same for any shooter. Its personal to each shooter.

6. Fasterthansid

Fasterthansid New Member

I zero'd a rifle for a new shooter at the weekend down the range but warned him that it would need adjusting again as it was zero'd to my eye and my hold. He fired the rifle and it was as I said so I then adjusted to his shooting.

7. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Springers - work of the devil I say :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  8. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    It goes to show the importance of consistent technique.
    Something else to work on...
    :)

9. blackscale

blackscale Member

I agree!..The DEVILS work! :D:D

10. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    Even when your joking Brian your spot on :D

11. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    So is this the same for PCP's?
    It's just that my little brain has a hard time with the concept. That a fixed scope on a gun will have a poi 2 inches lower (or higher) depending upon who is looking down the scope and pulling the trigger. The scope has a Bisley Maximiser on it so I would have thought this reduces the amount of variance of eye position.
    I'm not saying this is Schrodinger's Cat or the Double Slit Experiment but it's a bid weird.
    :eek:

12. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Hold sensitivity ;)

It's not so much a case of who's looking through the scope and pulling the trigger - it's more a case of who and how are they holding the rifle and interacting with the recoil.

It's not uncommon to hear stories among seasoned springer shooters about how their gun shoots x inches low / high / left / right etc when they take a standing shot as opposed to a sitting shot.

Same gun, same fixed scope, same person pulling the trigger - Different Hold

I guess to a far lesser degree the same is also true of PCP's but the difference is so slight you probably wouldn't notice it.

13. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Ahh, now that makes sense to me.
    Cheers Brian and everyone else
    All the best
    JJ

14. mundungus

mundungus New Member

Does one of them wear glasses?

I can't wear my glasses when shooting because it changes the point of aim.

I didn't wear glasses when I started shooting, so everything is set up for my naked eye. When I started wearing glasses I tried shooting with them. I expected to see some difference, e.g. maybe the ranges would be different or something, but was surprised that the aim changes significantly depending on which way I tilt my head. I found it would change in both elevation and windage, just by tilting my head a couple of degrees more.

I decided at that point never to wear them whilst shooting. I miss enough targets on my own as it is, I dont need that kind of variability. I would bet it must affect people who shoot in glasses when they come across a target on an incline or non-flat ground. Or any other condition that made them shoot in a position slightly different to their sitting norm.

15. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    no they don't but thanks for the input
    all the best
    JJ