Is this allowed UKAHFT to try speed things up?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by skires, Apr 29, 2013.

1. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Question for the 2 Petes ...

Sorry if this is common knowledge and the norm.

Yesterday I shot 2nd session at Kibby and started on peg 3. I was in a group of 4 with a Junior shooting first. To cut a long story short ... I don't know if we shot slow as a group, or whether those in front shot quickly or maybe they were a 3 and not 4, but by the time we were half way around the groups in front of us had gone. We couldn't even see them anymore and there were loads of free, empty lanes.

Behind us groups may again have been just 3, or shooting faster than us, but there was a queue/bottleneck behind us.

I only thought of this in hindsight ... but if we'd have asked a marshall ( who then may have asked the head marshall ) could we have split into 2 groups of 2 and the junior and her guardian moved on without having to wait for the other 2 of us to shoot. As 2 groups of 2 we would have moved quicker through that vacuum of empty lanes in front of us and released the bottleneck behind us.

That situation must happen with so many shooters and groups of 3 and 4.

I don't think we shot that slowly but when we arrived at target 9 after a wee bit of a walk with the road on the left, another group were just starting on target 9 that was a different group to the ones that had started in front of us. I think they had started at about target 13ish and then shot 13 - 18 in that sector of the course but had asked a marshall if they could do targets 9 - 12 so they didn't have to walk all the way back to that sector ( I think one shooter had a stick ). So by the time they had done about 9 - 12 and then disappeared again, the original group in front of us were long gone leaving several lanes empty in front of us.

Cheers

Col

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Dazzzle

Dazzzle New Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hi Col,

Yes I was the guy with the stick , we only had 2 targets to shoot in that corner and yes I did request that if the lane was clear could we shoot those targets to save me having to walk all the way back , there was no group waiting as the prior shooters had missed targets 7 and 8 and so had to go back.
    As far as I was aware we held no one up.

3. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Hi mate

It was no problem to us. We were originally behind a group with a couple of Fort shooters. We had shot 7 and 8 but when we got to 9 it was no longer the group with the Fort shooters in front but you guys. Then a group appeared behind us that weren't the original ones behind us and they had missed 7 and 8 and went back. No probs you saving yourself some extra walking. I mentioned that to explain why we ended up with empty lanes in front of us. Just made sense that if a 4 group ends up with empty lanes in front of them and groups queueing up behind them they could split into 2 x 2 to speed them along those empty lanes.

Col

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

If there are any holdups then a marshal may occasionally split a group of 4 but we wouldn't split a group that contained a junior & parent/guardian as it would either split them up or leave them open to claims of cheating if they were shooting on their own.

5. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Ah cheers Pete

I see what you are saying about leaving a Junior and guardian as a group of 2. Wouldn't have worked for our group then. It was no problem. I was in no rush. I just felt a little for the people waiting behind us.

Thanks again.

Col