Is there a definitve answer to shipping air rifles?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Waelwulfas, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Waelwulfas

Waelwulfas New Member

Club:
    Springfield SEFTA
    Does anyone have the above? I'm trying to work out how to ship across UK; Royal Mail's out due to the new 61cm restriction which I hadn't sussed; Parcelforce, who I used to use now clearly state -

PROHIBITED GOODS
    Arms and Ammunition
    All firearms including: imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; air rifles, air pistols, components of firearms and all other items similar to, or resembling the foregoing are prohibited. All ammunition (including components thereof) and airgun pellets are also prohibited.

I know that it's physically possible to wrap a gun and get it past the Post office, but it won't be insured and I know that at my depot they're scanned. Does anyone know of a courier service etc.

Cheers

Ian

2. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    Courier

TNT :)

No. It's not a joke. My son drives for them, and we were discussing this very subject yesterday afternoon.
    I obviously can't advise on prices.

3. Mildot

Mildot New Member

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I believe BAR use TNT to ship to both domestic and export locations.

4. Jon

Jon Member

Parcel Force do carry section 1&2 firearms a few of the gun trade uses them, need a business account and RFD to RFD only. Prices dearer than TNT.

Unless some things changed recently, TNT have not took on new accounts for years but do carry for existing customers business to business only. A good 95% of gun trade uses them nationally.
    Ring up national hub last 10 years to arrange collection "we don't carry firearms" Ring local hub who know you, hunky dory taking details of delivery address, size, weight, goods S1 or S2 and value.
    Then theres the problem of insurance payouts, lucky if get 1/3 of value after years of court battles trying every trick in the book as a get out clause.

There are 100's of couriers that beg for your business, will collect and deliver even same day. Soon as insurance mentioned they all decline.
    For smaller items (parts) of higher value very few in the high class gun trade don't use Royal Mail Special Delivery. Reason at least they will eventually get £2500 back rather than nothing.

5. Waelwulfas

Waelwulfas New Member

Club:
    Springfield SEFTA
    I contacted TNT, specifically business to business only :(

6. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Ask your local gunshop to help, they can ship to other shops with no problem.

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Ian. There's a big thread on the airgun bbs. Excuse the opt out but it's something in flux but I believe there's a way around it. Need to look at it myself to send a stock. But have a look and see if that's any help.

8. clubshot

clubshot Member

Much of UK Retail still get their Deliveries via Parcel force -

Most Carriers will not insure Air Guns in transit -

BOB/R

9. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Sent 2 rifles last week by parcelforce 48, one of them went to RFD in Northern Ireland.

10. Corvids

Corvids Member

Club:
    Bolton Gun Club
    Definitive Answer is Deliver/collect it yourself.

Best other option is TNT.

My local shop uses them on a regular basis and does well with them, providing the item is WELL Packed and Boxed.

11. clubshot

clubshot Member

If do you regular Trade and need to send out Air Guns

Become a BASC Trade Member - who has a arrangement with Parcel Force to accept
    Air Guns in transit

Like Full RFD's that was arranged by Gun Trade Association

BOB/R

12. Waelwulfas

Waelwulfas New Member

Club:
    Springfield SEFTA
    I've had what appears to be a definitive answer from Parcelforce. The basics as I read are contract customers only with prior written agreement, I assume in the case of RFD's this can be an open agreement to cover regular shipping. Furthermore, in any event, guns are excluded from compensation;.

Dear Ian Challis

Thank you for your email.

There is a statement advising users of our policy on the Goods excluded from compenstation, Prohibited and restricted goods request screen...

Arms and ammunition

Carriage of firearms between registered firearms dealers
    A service for Section 1 and 2 firearms and low-powered airguns (as defined by the Firearms Act 1968, as amended),
    imitation firearms, de-activated guns, antique firearms and paintball guns is available to contract customers only, at the
    absolute discretion of Parcelforce Worldwide, and is subject to Parcelforce Worldwide providing prior written agreement in
    advance. Where Parcelforce Worldwide provide concurrence to sending firearms, it is subject to a number of conditions
    which include:

• Collections and deliveries of section 1 and 2 firearms will only be accepted where it can be shown to Parcelforce
    Worldwide s satisfaction that both the sender and the recipient are Registered Firearms Dealers.
    Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered airguns, imitation firearms, antique firearms and paintball guns may be
    permitted for zone 1 to 1 on express9, 10, AM, 24, 48 services; deliveries to zones 2 and 3 must be on an express48
    service and include ‘do not air uplift sticker on the parcel.

• Parcelforce Worldwide reserve the right that if any item is item is sent on the incorrect service, or does not include the
    correct labelling, or is a prohibited / restricted item then a charge of £20 will be levied in addition to the carriage charge
    and returned to the sending customer.

• All firearms must be clearly labelled ‘Strictly addressee only and ‘Do not leave with a neighbour .

http://www.parcelforce.com/sites/de...rohibitions and restrictions January 2013.pdf

If you require any further information or assistance, please reply to this email showing all conversations we have had on this enquiry.

Our hours of business are Mon to Fri: 8am to 5:30pm.

Kind regards

Yvonne Dyson

Parcelforce Worldwide

Customer Service Email team[/SIZE]

13. rogb

rogb Señor Member