is it time that HFT & FT distances went metric?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Tone, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    I use a milradian graduated reticle and 1/10 mil adjustment scope rather than a moa version.

The differences are explained here: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/20/mil-vs-moa-an-objective-comparison/

I therefore may benefit if the target set out distance rules were changed from yards to metres, and i think that would be good for me and therefore worth doing :D

anybody else up for the change or might i be swimming against the tide here? :rolleyes:

2. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

unless targets are stipulated to be set at exactly yards or meters, it makes no difference, 22.5yds or 20.574m, not seeing a benefit?

3. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Hi Tone, I suggested this to Pete a few years ago before the 40y 25mm was introduced as a way to make HFT more difficult, it was pointed out though that some long established clubs have been setup around the 45y distance and could not accommodate 49y (45m). It may not be impossible to implement for most clubs but some would struggle.
    Great idea though which would bring new challenges with the need for increased depth of field requiring lower mag yet the longer distance. It may be a step too far for most scopes!

4. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    so are you proposing for hft we go metric and shoot out to 41m or round it off to 40m or go 45 metres?
    sounds a bit unfair to increase the range as there are not enough rhino's to go round.;)

5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    It'd favour the "high" rivi type set-up if it went out from 8 to 45 meters!

6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I suspect every FT / HFT competition shot outside the UK, US and maybe New Zealand are already metric.

As the Artful Bodger has already said, targets are laid at unknown distances, so how do you know if they were set out to Imperial or Metric measurements.

7. Tench

It would be good if a club put a course out in metric to test it, it changes so much regarding the scope and mounts it would certainly add a new dimension!

As you say Mick, a higher setup would be required to move your "flat" range out as the reducer distances would move out and be extended by nearly 10%.

Would we have to be chrono'd in Joules! :D

8. Tench

It is the limits to target distance that would be governed my the measurements not the individual targets as long as they are within the allowed limits.

Damn, I missed that one because I gave it 42y instead of 42M :eek:o :D

9. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    The BFTA rules already state that minimum distance is 9.1m and maximum 50.3m with kills of 13mm, 25mm and 38mm (min) to 45mm (max).

I know some FT shooters in the UK who already range in metres.

When shooting HFT, the same as field archery, I estimate in yards and really couldn't change to metres if I wanted to.

I have never shot a UKAHFT event, so don't know anything about the way those courses are laid.

10. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    :D

And have croissants for breakfast from the food wagon rather than a bacon butty :D

11. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    Is that why there were only 3 sub 20 yd targets on the national course.:pnot that it made any difference to me as my scope had almost fell off.:eek:

12. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    & possibly why Simon/tench used high mounts @ Rivi to come equal 1st ;)

13. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    If you can miss in yards, you can also miss in metres. It doesn't matter if you use Y, M, giant strides or rammy strides, just shoot the bloody target

14. poth

poth Whafta old Gits world champion

Club:
    Quarry hunters hft
    Time this bollocks was put to bed folks

15. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    hft 7.3m -41.1m , job done;)

16. rich

rich Active Member

We have around 20 student members aged 14 to 16 and they all, with few exceptions, think in metres.

Initially we teach them to estimate ranges with the mark 1 eyeball. That's hard enough without having to get them to adapt to yards.

FT could have a 50m limit quite easily.

Once you have newbies ranging in metres and kill zones in millimetres and understanding what a mildot is, it all clicks - no pun - into place.

17. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Active Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    you are of course all wrong, other than the bloke above.
    if you look at a target (in hft) and think "its so and so yards/metres) then youre doing it all wrong anyway. what you should be thinking is "thats about an inch above the kill with the cross and on the rats nose for wind".......
    FLOP! :D
    in FT if youve got yards/metres written on your sidewheel/turret then youre doomed, youll only talk yourself out of the shot. i used colours. red equals red, green equals green etc. range, dial, squeeze, so much easier than HFT. :D
    I remember there was a bloke that had fruit on his sidewheel, not sure of his name now but when he ranged the target at between a banana and a mango you knew it was going down!
    Dop.

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    got my wheel marked up as per the chart below...

[​IMG]

experts can tell the difference between a finger and a shaftment

19. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Is it a measuring competition or shooting competition?

20. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Gotta admit, I wndered what this was either increase the distances to accomodate metres , or as tugg says convert yards to metres .
    So yards to metres , who cares no difference, if you want to think in your head , that 37.2m rather than 40 yarder ( or whatever the real metreage is ) , youll still give it the same point on your ret .
    If your now talking distance to 45m then weve all got to learn new aimpoints , and then may not be happy with our rets , plus it will inevitably lend itself to better quality glass, more people with vision issues moaning (hft), and in essence start to detract from what I thought hft was about, getting people into airgunning , promoting our sport with entry level kit etc ,
    If the powers to be want to make it a bit more challenging , how about 20mm to 35yds (32m :D or whatever )
    They could also push 35mm supporteds to say 40 yds :rolleyes:
    just a thought