Is it that big a deal?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by shaun eustace, Jan 21, 2019.

1. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Valid points but i was talking about national shoots where the quality of shooter needs a challenge. When setting a course there should always be a few that everyone can get but i wouldn't expect to see a 'gimme' at say the worlds.

BTW...Emley will be setting one of the courses for this years worlds so myself, Kieran T and Liam will be the ones you need to kick up the chuff if things go wrong. I've already got 39 new and totally refurbed targets ready to go with quite a few more in the pipeline. My plan is to have a set of 60 HFT comp only targets. We will use some for the UKAHFT pre season shoot in March.

subaru swift and MickyFinn like this.
  2. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Would-be HFT shooter.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Bastrads............:p

Bensile likes this.
  3. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Fair comment Chris.

I suppose the newcomers and youngsters get into the game and develop at club shoots where hopefully courses have plenty to keep them interested.

Interesting though that targets may now be set to trap a good shooter into NOT getting a '1' when the initial idea was to make sure a low end shooter DID get a '1'.

4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Yeh mate, agreed....we hold an extreme series where you can have any kill size at any distance (max 45yards +-1yd) but as it's a club shoot and we see quite a few new shooters there are normally 4 or 5 targets there that everyone should get, 4 or 5 that you need voodoo to hit and a mix of stuff inbetween.

5. terryn

terryn Active Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    At my own club about 30yrs back a new member and his then young son started scoring 1 for hitting the face plate and 2 for
    a knock down. This was done to encourage his young son ( shooting with a .22 springer )This form of scoring became adopted by the club to encourage new shooters and junior shooters and is still in force today on club shoot days.
    The original young son from approx. 30yrs back has since become one of FT's better known shooters so the encouragement
    shown may have helped in his once winning a World Championship.
    Anything that encourages newcomers and youngsters is in my opinion the best thing the airgun shooting fraternity
    can do.

DEAN C., C.Eaton and subaru swift like this.
  6. rex&amy

rex&amy Active Member

I have to say that yes I have seen it happen and challenged it. the guy was adamant he see it hit the plate. I was shooting in a 3 so I confirmed my thoughts with the other and the shooter still protested. we turned to the group waiting to get on our peg and they all agreed they heard nothing. we gave him a 0 and all the way round he was whining about it, I said to the guy.. Then when his mates asked how he was doing he told them that he was robbed of a point by us cos we hadn't heard him dink the plate, So I said listen mate you will have to learn to miss more clearly or just put the target down. What a pleb, Oh and by the way is does that mean that Furnace mill is now down south. I have seen it happen elsewhere and find that a lot of the more northern shooters aren't actually cheating when they didn't hear it and put a 1 down. They are rabbiting on about random stuff and twiddling their flat caps instead of paying attention to the shooter. Ive seen it all over the place and they ask did you get that me duck or similar. May be we are all guilty of it but its being blown out of proportion on here cos someone wants to bring another agenda. I think that the situation that brought this around was a genuine example of how it may have sounded like a dink on the plate to all those involved even the guy filming it but the camera angle clearly demonstrates no impact on the plate.

I think some people need to realise we are upsetting others because of a tiny lead splat on a tin chicken and there are far bigger problems in this world to worry about.

Archer50, vangard, chucky82 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bensile

Bensile Well-Known Member

Club:
    Emley moor
    Chris did you get a donut at the worlds? Strange you never mention it.

8. Ash Bailey

Club:
    Hallelujah to that man!! :)

And the sooner people realise that it's a sport, a bit of fun, not life and death - the better!

Archer50, Emma, vangard and 2 others like this.
  9. rex&amy

rex&amy Active Member

totally agree Ash, and the best bit of HFT is the banter in my opinion, I had to give up archery as they took it so seriously down south that they even tried to get me to wear bright coloured lyra and tape my nipple rings down so I took up shooting.

10. Ash Bailey

Club:
    No aggro with your Prince Albert though, Rex??? :eek:

rex&amy likes this.
  11. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I shot HFT at a club that used head and body targets, 1 shot at the head to knock it down, 1 shot at the kill in the middle of the body to get the head back up. 2 shots per target.
    Lots of tactical scoring here, you turn up at a target where the head is already down, dink the first shot, still got a 2nd chance for 2 points to get the head up.
    But turn up at a difficult head shot and miss, 2 points down and what do you do on the 2nd shot? Pressure is on!

Great way of doing HFT targets, simple knockdowns sound dull for HFT and sounds like FT which I now do instead, and greatly enjoy!

MickyFinn likes this.
  12. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Active Member

Club:
    MAD
    He always mentions it. What he forgets to mention is that he would have had a second donought if I hadn't pointed out that he was about to shoot the wrong target!

13. Matt hft

Matt hft Member

Club:
    Cambridge hft
    Pop down to Cambridge this Sunday its the winter diabolical it's hard.... And yes most guys will have 2 or 3 donuts to there name....... Enjoy.. Have fun...

rex&amy likes this.
  14. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    I got 6 last year but I'm still going back this year for more. Winter diabolical best shoot of the year for me.:):):)

15. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    As Chris points out club shoots are usually well balanced, but I'm not sure if this has any great impact on the retention of new shooters,
    I think you either take to it or you don't, A complete novice usually spends a fair bit of time punching paper and getting used to a rifle before venturing out on a hft course, People who have some experience plinking or hunting soon realize they have a bit more to learn and are keen to do so,
    like any sport it will not hold the attention of everyone and they will eventually move on to other things, I think a good club atmosphere and encouragement has a more positive impact

Neither of which we possess I might add before you point it out Mr Todd:D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    skires and Bensile like this.
  16. Bensile

Bensile Well-Known Member

Club:
    Emley moor
    Me Frank never. Would I seriously. Now that would be wrong. Me point out the obvious, how could I.

17. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Donuts are "character building" :p embrace them BUT more importantly LEARN from them!
    I got one this Sunday Boinging! ;)

Bensile likes this.
  18. rex&amy

rex&amy Active Member

well done Mick keep them up, especially with the boinger HFT in May.

MickyFinn likes this.
  19. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Finished a point behind Steve Whiting to Rex who I went round with! Like I've said before Boingers & Do-nuts go hand in hand BUT always character building! :D

rex&amy and DEAN C. like this.
  20. rex&amy

rex&amy Active Member

oh yes mate. I had a mad weekend as I had a siss where I had the hernia op and it become an abscess under my belly. I was in agony on sat and nearly passed out a few times around the course. I spent 6 hours in A&E on the way home. Then had to shoot on sunday with a cannula in my arm and full of meds. I only got a 50 but didnt care with a tramadol giving me that window licker look when I also got a donut. But having declared my predicament before hand I had two great shooting partners who became my official carers for the day. Great laugh with lots of banter but I always maintain safe shooting practices all the time anyway.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    steve1000, skires, RobF and 1 other person like this.