Is HFT going all a bit FT ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by MrD, Nov 25, 2014.

1. MrD

MrD New Member

Hi I used to do FT many many years ago with a HW77 > 25 years a go in fact and it all got a bit mental
    with massive side wheels and the likes on complex PCP guns with 50x mag scopes , so I gave it up.
    wanted a Sports match GC2 at the time ;-) loved that thing.

2009 I thought mmm this HFT is more my game, a bit like the FT back in the day, So I went out and bought a Daystate MK4 and a 10x scope. aim high I thought, cannot blame the gun then...

Sadly I did nothing with it, work was too busy, bought a house with the gf etc etc

7 years on, I thought, I want to shoot HFT in 2015, so dusted out my MK4 last week and bought a mag AirGunShooter dec ed. (was always a airgunner man my self) but it was the only one on sale.

To my shock on page 30 there was a pic of Mark Wilsons gun. it was a sad sight for me.

big hampsetr and a metal butt hook !!!! that's more than we were allowed in FT back in the day.

why has HFT gone all a bit FT in the guns :-( ?

imo metal butt hooks and the 150mm depth for a hamster (had to look up this new word) should be banned it's all a bit FT .... and is putting me off shooting in 2015 ;-(

then I also read about people fitting spikes etc to the guns to wedge into a tree etc (lucky that is now not legal)

But I also don't like you can put you butt rear part on the floor either ;-(

any way rules are rules and like most things every thing is pushed, but HFT was all about NOT being FT.
    More a hunter gun.

any way, my mk4 is all working and i'll have to get some pellets, it seems JSB excact 4.53 are the ones ?

Now just got to work out this kneeling rule, with no bent foot and try and hit some targets !!!

see you in 2015 ;-)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    With moaning like that you should fit right in :)

3. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

No Martin he said he wanted to shoot HFT not FT :p

4. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    I do know what you mean it may seem like that but , iv done FT for 20 od years with the odd gap and did enjoy HFT for some time but as the years have taken there toll on me the courses and rules have got harder as the shooters have got better ,that's why they use better kit but the best shooters would still get good scores with a 400 or mk3 with a sr6 on top.

5. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Definitely HFT, I heard the moaning hit the plate. :lev

6. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    A good gun doesn't give good scores, I'm living proof of that!? Practice does! Come & have a go, lots of good shooters with very std kit.

7. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    My 20 yr old son and I did our first HFT on Sunday - had great fun.!
    We shared an AA Ultimate Sporter I picked up cheap second hand and had a Tasco scope on top that came with another gun and is probably worth £80. But did we have fun ..........both at the bottom of Grade C and fighting it out to the death to draw on 42!! We will never set the world alight probably, wont even make grade AA before I die. But that is the whole point - loads of grades, various degrees of kit but still fun to be had in the little leagues!
    If you want to excel in grade AA then you would probably have to invest in some good kit just to run with the pack but nobody is saying you have to aim that high.

I also do FT, LSR and Bench rest - have all the kit etc - still useless but have to say HFT is such a blast - rolling around in the mud like a kid again, finding that killer position arms wrapped around trees and one foot tucked behind your ear - trying to bend pellets like The Matrix!

By the way serious -ish question - can you adjust power half way round a course, as there was one shot where I needed to be 6ft 5 instead of 5ft 9 on a stander and could have done with being able to loop the pellet up and over a fallen log:)

8. plattitude

plattitude Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    MrD
    I would say no to your question, its two variations of Target Shooting competitions where you shoot the equipment that suits you best (not always the most expensive)within the rules of each style.
    FT may have encouraged the manufaturers to make the race guns ( although some are converted 10mtr match kit) but no one has a right to call them their own, you shoot the kit that works for you.

Paul

9. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    Why would you enjoy it less because other people are using fancy kit?

Who cares what other people use, if your gun is capable (and it probably is) then you have no excuse. The likes of steyr's and walthers won't be more accurate then your mk4 (probably, its a daystate so we will never know).

If you're capable of kicking *** you will kick *** with a S200 if that's all you can afford.

10. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
  11. MrD

MrD New Member

nice, sounds like how HFT started and also sounds like people were getting annoyed with HFT going a bit FT in looks

thank's for pointing that out though, looks a good event

12. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I doubt there would be much difference in results if metal butt pads and hampsters were banned.
    If anything a hampster helps level the field between the people that have a custom stock with a deep fore-end and those who would have a standard sporter stock.
    If we were to not allow butts to rest on the ground would it change much?
    the cream will always rise to the top.

13. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Would you consider yourself as being a bit of sour?!

Regards.

14. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Just see the funny side. Shooters pay a fortune for a target style, multi adjustable butt pad that can be adjusted to perfectly fit the shape of the individual's shoulder. This is designed to make sure the rifle will be in exactly the same position in relation to the shoulder every shot ...

... then they stick it in the mud with their shoulder no where near it.:D

Don't worry about all the fancy kit and accessories. Blokes just like shiny shiny. Their choice. Your kit is perfectly capable. Just go out and start shooting HFT and enjoy it. Behind all the fancy kit is a load of decent guys.

Any one who is any good will tell you the best money you can spend on kit is for tins of pellets ... then go practice with them.

15. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Fcuk me is it that time of year again:rolleyes:

Pete

16. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Was just thinking that myself Pete, haha.

17. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Yes! You love it really dont you :)

18. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    Lets have a poll !!

19. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I'd consider myself.... fresh , naughty but nice.
    and hopefully long life;)

20. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    we had a poll , I don't know what happened to him ;)