1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is FT on the increase ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi

I know a lot of people favour hft these days but their seems to be more and more talk of people willing to try FT - would it be fair to say that FT is on the increase or are shooters only interested in trying it once to see what its all about ?

many thanks

Dave

2. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    if anything i'd say its more popular

just people don't go on the forums talking about it ;) after all its gone on alot longer than HFT and theres only so much you can talk about with it :D

just my opinion

3. Kingplinker

I agree , FT seems like the masons to me :D Do FT shooters have a funny ritual or handshake . lol

Jokes aside I have heard the term ' posh HFT ' bandied around but unless people who shoot it talk about it ( as in hft ) its always going to remain a sport privvy to those who shoot it .

I bet there are loads of clubs who would be interested in a FT course - Swallows FT/HFT have FT one meet and HFT the following although I think its fair to say its not done with the strictess rules .
    I know a few chaps at Bisley who I used to shoot with on Friday evenings and if that mob were typical FT ilk
    it's far from a posh sport . :D:D:D

atvb

Dave

4. rich

rich Active Member

I think in the south west we perhaps take a different view from the mainstream, about FT rules. We have nine clubs that shoot in an annual league to our own set of rules that differ in some respects from the national BFTA rules. They happen to suit our clubs and our membership so that is what we choose to operate under, on a local basis.

Of course, if we are to host a national comp then national rules apply.

Even within our own rules, not every club will stick to them for their own club days, only for regional shoots. For example, our rules specify the maximum distance for mini-kills and the minimum diameter for them. Some clubs will put out targets with less than regulation kill size at more than regulation distance if that is what their membership wants to practise on. But that to some extent is what contributes to the variety of different courses and to the pleasure of taking on the challenge they represent.

No it's not a posh sport. Like all things, some folk treat their guns as male jewellery much as some swear blind their Omega keeps better time than the next chap's Seiko. In terms of outlay, it's amazing how little equipment is actually essential. I have only ever seen one FT course cleared and that was done with a S400, slightly tweaked. Well; it had the "new" three sear trigger before it was standard fitment. I manage to put in reasonable scores and I don't have a Schmidt and Bender. My scope cost me £130 second hand and the owner of this forum will confirm how well it rangefinds.

Not everyone who takes the plunge finds the water warm enough though, and one of the aspects that we as a club want to concentrate on is how new members make the transition from being a plinker sitting with their gun rested on a bean bag, to shooting a proper course. Your first 50+ yard target can be rather daunting. We're thinking about having three targets on each lane, not two, and beginners shoot the easier two, as a mechanism to soften the introduction.

5. Kingplinker

Thanks for that Rich , some interesting points well made .

Is it rare for an FT course to be cleared then ? I must have a look on here for the national BFTA rules .

atvb

Dave

6. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

At GP level I think its only been done once Dave :eek::eek::eek:

7. rich

rich Active Member

If you look on the BFTA website you will find the core rules, then additional sets of rules that show how these core rules are applied to the various competitions. There are a few differences sometimes depending on the start nature, i.e., feed on at lane 1 or "Le Mans" type start.

There are also unpublished "rules" or "guidelines", I'm not sure what you would call them, probably conventions rather than rules. For example it's normally expected that the total length of two targets in one lane shall not exceed 100 yards. So a 55 yarder should not be accompanied by anything longer than a 45 yarder.

A few months ago I did some analysis of how well our SWEFTA shooters performed on the GP circuit (which one would assume to be the acme of examination) compared to their successes on the domestic circuit, with its own variation of the rules. 75% put in higher scores at GPs than in the home league, which suggests to me that our own rules produce courses that are certainly no easier. In our 2008 season only five competitors achieved a hit rate above 75% - by that I mean they knocked down more than 75% of the targets they shot at - and one of those is an ex world champion and another is a runner up. I draw no comparison, simply observe that HFT scores are generally much higher.

Is the sport becoming more popular? Here in the south west we have new faces arriving at almost every league shoot. For example, there were three newbies at the Mendip shoot yesterday. We have six others recently started who have not yet done three shoots and will receive their grading when they have.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    As for FT itself, i've heard an number of people say it has become more competitive... even though if anything the courses are thought to be harder. That said, I can think of a number of names I haven't seen much or haven't seen as much as i'd like to...but then most GP's are at capacity (if not over...Newbury).

The winter leagues in a lot of regions are strong to ok. (I consider 1:1 target to shooter as a minimum definition of a successful shoot)... I think that's where a lot of new faces have come from.

I think SFT has kicked off... in CSFTA there are a number of HFT'ers that shoot SFT in FT... and there are quite a few FT'ers that HFT as well... I don't see the numbers moving permanently over, but I think there's just more people prepared to go both ways these days. There were more SFT'ers at Newbury than C graders.