Is Andy Calps the best Kneeler in the Country????

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by popsheep, Apr 8, 2010.

1. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

We are getting a fair few youngsters joining our club as they get free membership this year and I;ve been asked by a few mams and dads what is the best postions for kneelers and standers so I thought if I could get pictures of the best they will start off on the right track so the question is
    Who is the best Stander in the country ???
    Who is the best Kneeler in the country
    I will be attending GP2 and all the UKAHFT so please help me out as I want to get the top people photographed and put on our club wall

cheers Ian

2. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Paul Wilson was one of the best kneeling shots i've ever seen in HFT.

Pete

3. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    You need to get a hold of the FT coaching thingy that Dave frogget did, anyone who's attended the BFTA instructors course got a copy, it contains good diagrams and instructions/tips/techniques for the positional shots, plus everything else helpful to beginners and those wanting improvement to their shooting.
    Rob f will most probably be able to help you...i'm sure i've seen it in PDF somewhere.
    The problem with copying other peoples stance is it could well have been adapted for their own preference, best to start with a textbook style and then adapt it yourself.:)

4. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I think Laity is probably one of the best standing shots in the country, There have been times recently when we have been practicing at MAD when he has killed 45 yard targets standing when the rest of us could not hit the kneeling.

5. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

cheers

Where are you Rob ?????

6. merlot

merlot Member

kneeling

loyed upton he can group a 5 pence at 35 yards just superb last years spring gun champ

7. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D

BFTA technicle skills manual

CLICK HERE

8. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    kneeling

its all about practice and getting the technique thats suites you . i have seen me clearing 2 ten shot targets at 55 and 45 yard kneeling and standing that go dowm to a 8 mm kill and then missing 2 full size kills the next day.

anyway heres a good pic of mark basset .he is a very good kneeling shot ,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    hmm... depends on how you determine 'best'?

results? it's a bad day if i miss a kneeler, and if i'm on it then nothing is safe out to 55 and my groups are just as good as my sitters (stop sniggering at the back, they're not that bad :D)... however, i do some disgusting shots and get away with it now and then, and i'm not happy if I do. If my position is good, i'll gladly take anyone on...

it's difficult to say who's the best, FT and HFT'ers tend to break a lot of 'rules' of standing, either because they don't know any better or because they only have to sustain an unsupported position for 2 mins... or because their gun isn't set up well for standers and a compromise is being forced.... i actually think the supported postionals in HFT are more difficult than they would be if a good position was adopted... there's a few exceptions where you have to get onto something to see the target, but i'm far more in control when i'm not leaning over/on/against something awkwardly.

i'll have a dig around and come back and post some links, but my thoughts on the postions used in FT will be appearing in a mag very soon (and i've got to find a ginea pig for the photos over this weekend as well ;)) To be honest though it's tough to try and squeeze it all into 2000 words, which is why the past articles i've worked on the principles so hopefully they can be remembered when I cover specifics.

I've got permission to stick the PDF's up here, so i'll just have to get off my arse and get them sent over :D

10. rubi-tong

rubi-tong Bernies MY *****

Ian Taylor has got to be in there for the standers surely. Kneelers then I've seen quite a few good shots.

Im the best fluke stander you'll ever see, period! LOL

11. Ali-C

Ali-C New Member

I'll return the favour for the lift if you're still stuck for ginea pigs. :)

12. RobF

Club:
    I wouldn't say these are perfect, but for a new shooter I wouldn't say they're bad examples.

Ian Taylor is pretty handy... wouldn't want to bank against him... he doesn't use a jacket either.

[​IMG]

Jonty's position don't look bad here... but i'm not a fan of pistol or trigger tickling...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Not a bad hand position, resists the gun droping low and to the right and pulls the CofG more central.

[​IMG]

One of the secrets of good kneeling is to get the gun down low, get as much forearm along the thigh as possible, but remember the hand must be unsupported beyond the wrist and the gun can't touch the forearm as that will be considered as supporting it. Bring your head down to the gun, not the gun up to your head. Essentially you set up the position blind, and if it's correct, when eye goes to target it should be sitting steady on what you're aming at. If you're having to drive it on target the position will be weakened, considerably so. If you can't get it stable and still when your head is off the gun, it won't magically get better when you start peeking.

[​IMG]

I can understand why his hand is out forward, balance of the gun and the deeper fore-end probably offers more benefit over having the hand underneath the stock closer to the body and more vertical, but rest looks good.

[​IMG]

I have plenty of shots of people where you could pick holes... and there's names I know who score well, but I can't remember what their positions look like so wouldn't say go and have a peek at them.

A club instructor/coach should prove far more beneficial than copying photos, and if you like reading, then Ways of the Rifle is about as good as it gets for standing (and prone and kneeling, even though it's sling 3 position)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  13. RobF

Club:
    You should see my Scatt traces, they don't even register sometimes they're moving so fast...:eek:

14. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    For standing shots Sarah English has the best stance I have ever seen
    As for knocking targets down Ian Taylor, Sam Monkman,Mat Hirst and the chap
    from Bisly who won the silly's 2 years ago at the classic have to rate amongst
    the best 39x40 under comp rules.
    Kneeling Andy doesn't have a classic position ie his leading foot is well forword
    but it works well for him and he has tought this to many other shooters to
    good effect
    As in a previous post start with the clasic position then get your club coach
    to tweak it to suit the shooters personal needs

Aitch

15. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Positionals

With regards to kneeling and standing, I would say to practice until you feel comfortable with what your doing.

It takes a long time to get it right and due to everyone being a different shape depends on what suits.

Just practice until you feel its right for you???

Berty

16. TeamZ

TeamZ Member

Club:
    Castle
    Have to agree that starting with a textbook stance and adapting it yourself has to be the way.

However, if you are looking for the best in practice, then James Osborne has to be up there as the best standing shooter we have, I have seen him consistently shoot both FT and paper targets at the club at any given distance that would leave you speechless.

Calps has one of the best kneeling positions on the circuit.

Cheers

Chris

17. RobF

Club:
    Ladies do tend to have better natural shooting positions... in recent memory i'd say sarah, steph and lynn who i shot with in SA all had basic good stances that would be pretty good benchmarks to look at.

James Woodhead is the chap you're thinking of.

James Osbourne is certainly someone to observe, one of the few shooters who can breath in the standing position and maintain the same position after the breath cycle. Haven't got a shot of Matt, but his standing record would suggest there's something to look at there ;)

18. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    Ok so has anybody got a shot of James Osbourne in standing position and Andy Calpin on kneeling as you have really got me curious now and I can even learn a few pointers from them too especially in standing position as I'm totally crap at it!

Cheers
    Kris

19. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    Yes thats the chap James Woodhead
    And again how did I miss ozzi but do you detect a theme here they are built like racing snakes tall and
    lean with the possible exception of JW

Aitch

20. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Thanks Chris:D