Is 7.5J sufficient for FT practice?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by buggsson, Apr 11, 2012.

1. buggsson

buggsson New Member

I would like to know if 7.5J is sufficient for FT practice in view of that I do not intend to compete this year and more difficulty on the longer targets is accepted? Short, is it doable without too much frustration?

In Sweden we have an upper limit of 10J and above that you need a licence and you cannot get one until you have been an active member for at least six months. I don't care to shoot my China springer for six months so I thought that if 7.5J would do it for a while I could buy a Hämmerli AR20 FT or a Steyr LG110 FT in 7.5J mode and use them until I can apply for a licence.

On the Steyr you only change the transfer port as far as I know. On the Hämmerli you have to change regulator and main spring, or regulator, main spring and pin. Anyone know the level of difficulty for changing the parts on the Hämmerli?

2. Shaun

Shaun Well-Known Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi,

I believe in Hungary they shoot with 7.5J rifles - how successful? Andras (Maestro) would be the man to ask.

As you say long targets would be tricky but practise with your set up can only help prepare for 16J. Good luck!!

Shaun

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    You could have effective practice with a 7.5J rifle but bring in the distance from 55 yards to 45 yrds and use smaller kills say max 30mm at 45yrds and use 15mm and 35 mm kill upto 30 yrds, this should give you a simular experiance as shooting a full power rifle at 55yrds with windage..Not ideal I know but the best you could do for 6 months.

4. buggsson

buggsson New Member

Thanks, that's all I could hope for. Now I just have to decide which air rifle to choose, maybe it will take the six months I need to wait, who knows?