Is 25x mag good enough for FT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Brameldballistics, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Brameldballistics

Brameldballistics New Member

Club:
    Byley
    I'm short on cash, would I be able to compete at a decent level with a scope that is 25x mag, it will be the Falcon 5-25 x56.

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Not really

3. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    scope

around 32x is the bare minimum, with the scope you mention i would doubt that you would get a shallow enough depth of field to range find.

4. Goodstone ARC

Goodstone ARC New Member

Club:
    goodstone arc/south devon agc /east devon ftc/tondu ftc
    cheap scope

I brought a cheap scope a pull good scores in, and slowly brought better scope's remember buy what you can afford and enjoy field target

5. skires

skires Well-Known Member

The purely FT answer ... by winding up mag and using focus ... you want a bit more mag than 25.

How much is that Falcon? I'd look around for second hand scopes. Try and stretch your budget and get as good as you can. It's no point just going for high mag. Some of the cheaper or mid priced scopes with high mag give poor picture quality. That's no good. I reckon you'll get a decent second hand FT scope for @ 200 - 250 quid. Put a wanted ad up for an old Custom Shop or similar ( or do you already have the Falcon 25x scope? ).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  6. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    You say it will be the Falcon, so is this a scope you intend to buy? If so then I would heed some of the advice above and buy something else for FT. However if you already own it, don't feel that you can't participate using it. It will do the job but you will probably have vagueness of rangefinding above 45 yards. No reason you can't have a go and start learning the game with the scope you have.

I'll disagree with one point of Skires above. Picture quality is almost irrelevant for FT. What matters is consistency of rangefinding and (unless you use mildot aiming) dialling up and down the elevation turret.

I've looked through a couple of the old BSA 10-50x60 that were like the bottom of a milk bottle but they ranged superbly. As long as you can tell the difference between 52.5 and 55 yards in different lighting conditions and temperatures, on different backgrounds etc, it doesn't really matter.

7. Brameldballistics

Club:
    Byley
    I shot today at Byley, I used a 14 X mag scope, I struggled with range finding beyond 38yds. I managed to score a 23/40, I think 10 I missed were due to ranging wrong. I need to try a few scopes now to see what mag to go for.

8. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    It mainly depends on the size of the front lens element (objective). High mag scopes tend to also have a large front lens. The old Leopold 20x-50x with a Premier Ret booster are actually 10x-25x but the front lens is 50mm (I think?) and they are re-parallaxed so the max distance is around 80m. Some snap in really well and the 2x booster just gives a larger image (and also reduces the light level - bit like a teleconverter on an SLR). So in theory having the Premier Ret booster removed should result in a 10-25 with just the same snap. Gaps are quite small though.

So, I think you might get something that works with a lower mag but not if the front element is small (e.g. 40mm or less), Working with one may strain your eye for FT ranges.

So - the reason why March and S&Bs are so expensive is because they are bright and have higher quality (large) lens elements. Nikkos, I have had, range well but the image is never really in sharp focus - more not quite so out of focus but that is all you need to range.

You do need to try as many as you can with club-mates to see what works for you.

9. Brameldballistics

Club:
    Byley
    Cheers Neil,

So if I went for the falcon 5 - 25 x56 then you are saying I should be able to range find well enough. The reason I want to stick to the falcon is the FFP as it makes wind calls a lot easier.

I'm basically after a £350 - £500 FFP scope that's good enough at paralax range estimation for FT.

Apologies if daft ideas or questions.

10. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    If you got that kind of budget then buy a second hand Big Nikko.

11. rich

rich Active Member

For something like £200 you should be able to pick up a second hand Falcon T35. It isn't a FFP scope and it has a very fine plain crosshair, but it's as sharp as a razor and neither of mine were temperature sensitive. I don't believe you need FFP to help with the wind. If you have 25x mag as your max, then most of the time you'll shoot on that too, so FFP becomes irrelevant.

12. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    If you're really steady it's easy to confirm longer ranges using your x24 mag assuming that the scope has mil-dots.
    Just bracket the area from the bottom of the kill to the hinge at the bottom of the target as this is a constant distance regardless of being a rat, pigeon, whatever.
    Takes practice but it was the original range-finder long before high mag scopes came along and some of us still use it to verify long 'uns in dodgy light.
    Try it, you'll be surprised just how well it works.

13. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    As Rich says, FFP is a bit of a red herring for FT. If you have a 5-25x scope more than likely you'll end shooting on 25x for all freestyle targets. You might wind the mag down for the disciplines where wind is less of an issue (or rather your own steadiness or lack thereof is the bigger concern), or you might just decide you prefer shooting on a lower mag. This is fine but either way you'll want to be consistent about it.

If you do end up getting the Falcon 5-25, my prediction is you'll be looking to upgrade within the year, assuming you stick with FT. This mirrors my own experience. When I got back into FT in 2006 I had my old Simmons 6.5-20x44 which did ok by the standards of the early 90s. Later on I bought a nearly new Millett 5-25x56 sidewheel scope off a forum. It wasn't a bad scope by any means but it did struggle between 50 and 55 yards. The gap between those two ranges on a 4" sidewheel was 1.5mm!

I upgraded to an old Tasco Custom Shop 10-40x56 within the year which was good, and then the following year to a Mk2 Nikko (1st green turret model) which I still use and can still cut it.

14. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    +1

The T35 is like rocking horse sh*t, good luck finding one.
    Forget FFP for field target, you'll never use it
    For range finding, there's not much to beat a big nikko at the price point, and you have the budget for a used one. I paid 450 for my used, late Mk3

Don't resist, don't get hung up on stuff and look what everyone else is using. It's only taken me ten, frustrating years, to follow the crowd. They're popular for a reason ;)

15. Suffolk Rifle

Suffolk Rifle Member

Club:
    Iceni
    But the trouble is Barry, yours keeps jumping about:D;)

16. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    If you want brand new the Falcon T50 with the FT sidewheel and top turret is within your budget.

17. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    It'll be fixed in a week or two, then you look see ;)

But hey, thanks for sharing :rolleyes: