ir that switches off after an hour

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by gto, May 29, 2014.

1. gto

gto Don't Hate The Player

Club:
    none
    so in the rules where do i stand if it turns its self off after an hour?

1) do i switch it back on

2) do not switch it on......but to me when it switches off that means it has self adjusted from its original starting
    point.

just to clarify i shoot only hft

many thanks

Rikki

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    On your scorecard you are meant to mark down if you have IR switched on or off.

If you mark your card that the IR is on and it then switches off, you must turn it back on before you take a shot.

I would suggest that you tell your shooting partners that the IR has turned off and that you are switching it back on. Just in case someone sees you messing with your scope.

Gary (UKAHFT chief marshal)

3. gto

Club:
    none
    Thank you Gary

I was sure it would breech the rules the fact it has turned off so many thanks for clearing that up
    and your speedy answer to my question

Rikki

4. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    So whats to stop someone turning it on & off, how do you police this? Either marshals or shooting buddies ?
    I thought if it turns on & off on it's own, it had to stay off ??

I could start off with it written on my card & 'forget' to turn it on, come to a shot that was dark or the ret was hard to see, say' oh, my IR has turned odd' & switch it on..
    I personally don't have IR so was just using it as an example.

5. gto

Club:
    none
    Steve i think it boils down to personal honesty really

lets say you could do what you said which will be against the rules of ukahft would you do it ?

99.9 % of this sport is self policed anyway and we should be able to trust the competitors to do so
    for them selfs but if as normal you see someone touching thier scope for no reason then ask if they have
    cleared this with thier fellow shooters as Gary has stated.

rules are rules and i for one am glad that in this case that common sense has been applied to this rule.

Rikki

6. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    There comes a time when we have to trust the people we shoot with. I can't ask the marshal team to start looking down peoples scopes to see if the IR is on.

But, if a shooter keeps turning it on and off, then we will have to look into it.

The rule is, whatever you start the comp with, that is what you have to shoot the rest of the comp with. For instance. If a shooter set his parallax for 25 yards and then knock it against a tree and spins the turret, I would expect them to reset the parallax before taking the shot. (This is not changing the scope settings, it is returning them to there initial setting)

The IR is the same.

Hope that helps

Gary

7. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Sorry guys but if the illuminated ret on a scope has an auto turn off function then it can't be turned back on once the comp has started.

8. Bellerophon

Bellerophon Active Member

Where does it say that Pete?

Surely this is just returning the scope to it's settings you started the course with?

9. simmmo

simmmo Member

But how many targets did he choose to shoot before he told you he had turned it back on?

Can't be policed so no scope touching after first shot. Isn't that what the rules say?

Monkey

10. Bellerophon

Bellerophon Active Member

With all due respect surely some common sense needs to be administered here. The guy has an auto IR scope he wishes to use for HFT, he wishes to use the IR function for the duration of the shoot but because of the auto switch off function it turns itself off half way round so he is unable to use his preferred scope settings for the rest of the course.

Surely common sense can be applied here, the guy has no advantage when using IR settings it's purely is his preference. So basically what difference does it make? This is my opinion is been overly pedantic.

11. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    Cheers Gary ,without going off track , If you accidently move your windage or elevation turret during a comp can that be put back also.
    cheers Colin

12. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    I totally agree with you Kieran. I've always thought not been able to turn ir on and off was beyond pedantic.

13. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Thing is, with some shots it is a help, some it's a hindrance, hence people not using it on for the whole comp.
    I'm sure 'most' people are honest, but I'm afraid some aren't, when a pot it at the end some will 'bend' the rules, some will plain cheat..

It is already hard to police & I'm sure some just switch it on & off when they like already, but my understanding of the rule was as Pete & Andy stated.

I just wish that Chillingworth bloke would check the facts before posting... :p:lev

14. simmmo

simmmo Member

Always taken the scope afterthe first shot rule to be a fundamental of HFT. If Joe has a limited scope with minimal ajustment he is now on an even footing with everyone else as their scope settings are fixed also after their first shot.Even if his glass isn't as good.

So IR is on then off so he can turn it on and off at will?

Should be on or off shouldn't it?

Surely the possibility and it is only that of someone using it for dark shots and not for others should be eliminated.Surely the ability to pick and choose when to use it isn't in the spirit of the game?

"Mate my IR has just turned of it alright if I turn it back on?" 5 shots fifteen minutes later.

Monkey

15. raygun

raygun Non member

Isn't this just a scope that is not suitable for use in HFT ?

There are quite a number of scopes that wouldn't be used for various reasons. If the scope has auto turn off for the IR doesn't that make it unsuitable, along with quite a few others.

Just a thought.

ATB
    Ray.

16. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    The thing is Steve, there is no hard and fast rule, in the rules, to cover this.

It has come up a few times over the years and the answer has always been, if you start with it on, you have to finish with it on.

It appears though, that this rule may have changed and I did not know about it. "hands up, i may have got it wrong"

I will check with Sparky next week when he gets back from holiday.

17. blackscale

blackscale Member

I have already asked both 'Pete's' about this as i fancied the IR March but was also told it would have to stay off.

So i bought the one (better choice anyway) with non illuminated Ret..(it has a built in rangefinder) at least i get the distance right as long as i ain't standing, Plus my barrel doesn't take any wind atall...Ha!..:D:D

:cool:

18. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

It depends how you interpret common sense Kieran ??

Many year ago we had a few shooters who were turning their IR off between lanes to save battery, it was then found that on some lanes they weren't turning it back on & on other lanes they were turning it back on to a different intensity so they could have the best view of the target.....As a result we added the rule that it had to be switched on at the start of the comp & left on the same setting all the way through without any adjustment or switching.

We now have a few scopes that auto shut off, including some having a graduated intensity dial but using the same "ON" button to adjust the illumination intensity...If we allowed these to be switched back on during competition we wouldn't know what intensity was being used or if indeed they were being switched on rather than off, this would lead to the chance of a shooter being able to adjust or turn his illumination on/off during competition to get the best view of the target which would be against the "NON ADJUSTMENT" idea of UKAHFT.

Therefore in our opinion the fairest option is to stop these scopes being turned back on or adjusted once the first shot has been taken.

19. Petervw

Petervw Member

rules

Any traditional type scope and settings can be used. However, zeroing, magnification, dialling and parallax must be set prior to the first shot and left untouched until the course is completed, this includes illuminated reticules which if used must be switched on with the brightness set before the first shot is taken and remain that way without any adjustment or switching throughout the competition.

No device may be added or designed into a stock/rifle to specifically support the stock/rifle on the peg or tree. this includes brackets, ledges, spikes, straps etc

The objective & ocular aperture of the scope must be left as it was manufactured and can not be reduced in any way, flip up scope caps must always be in an open position when taking a shot & any holes in the caps taped up while shooting the course.

Anyone found carrying out any adjustments whatsoever to a scope once the course has been started will be expelled from the competition. Lasers are not permitted and should be removed from the rifle.

reading the rules he couldn't but I think Kieran has a point
    rules are made to stop cheating, with switching it back on he is not trying to cheat , he is setting his scope the way he started the shoot

Peter

20. Petervw

Petervw Member

rules

sorry , placed my post twice

Peter

Last edited: May 30, 2014