Insurance

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Steve, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Right folks in light of poor Chris's recent experiance,how/if do you insure your kit/collection.
    I have always just specified a single item on my contents insurance,I did a rough inventory this morning and quickly became aware I'm woefully under insured.
    My contents insurance is with Lloyds and although they have no issue insuring guns they wouldn't cover me for the amount needed and referred me to an underwriters.
    At the moment my contents. Is £200 per year.
    The underwriters they referred me to will only do it if I move my contents insurance aswell,of which I don't have an issue,but their premium starts at £400 for the same cover I have now.
    With the kit added its £429.Am I simplifying it to much that Im being charged £29 to cover my gear and my contents insurance is being doubled?
    Any recommendations great fully received.

2. rich

rich Active Member

If you become an NSRA individual full member, the standard insurance package includes £5,000 all risks for shooting equipment. NSRA is £83 a year, and there are intro deals if you contract for 3 years.

You can double the cover to £10,000 if you pay extra; I don't know what the premium is.

NSRA also gives you £10m civil liability £12,500 personal accident and £25,000 legal costs.

So, for your present £200 plus £83 or less you have £5k of all risks. If you took the guns out of your present cover the £200 might go down.

For £429, the word shaft comes to mind. :)

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Might be worth checking if there is a single item limit.

4. prime69

prime69 profesional dinker !

Club:
    Blaina
    From Home:
    most policies cover air rifles under general contents. On most policies this should be unlimited cover (especially if your paying 300 PA+). Check that they do not fall under "high risk" and "valuables" cover where limits apply (check policy book page definitions). Be up front and honest when calling them and note the date-time and assessor you spoke to in case the information they give you is wrong.
    ps: if your seeking cover whilst away from the home there will be a sal(aingle article limit) and possible exclusions (left unattended / damaged whilst being used for its intended purpose etc), just question them because most policies have a sal of 3k, that should be 3k for the scope and 3k for the rifle but obviously this is no use if personal belongings (away from home) limit is 5k.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  5. Doberman1979

Doberman1979 Not so senior member

Club:
    Emley
    As per prime69. Mine are on home policy but when am out if they are stolen from the car there is a max pay out of £1000 and they have to be out of view and secured, eg in the boot. If on back seat etc they wont pay a penny. :eek:

6. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Nsra membership is on offer at no, 50quid for 1st year. Condition is its for new members and must be set up direct debit.

7. Steve

Steve Member

Thanks for the replies,Nrsa wouldn't be enough even if I doubled it.I have single item cover of 3.5k but if a rifle is 2.5k and a scope over 2k then rails and system Gemini it soon mounts up.

8. rich

rich Active Member

If my guns were worth that much I'd never take them out. :D

9. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
  10. daveuk

daveuk New Member

Club:
    Liege
    Go online and check out Direct Line Home Insurance Plus.
    The sal is £3k but a larger value can be specified on the schedule.

11. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    Forget insurance, Buy a brattonsound extra deep rifle safe, Bolt it to the wall put pride and joy inside lock it...happy days your average scroat aint gonna nick your gun.