UKAHFT Info help

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Questions and Answers' started by Buffalo, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Buffalo

Buffalo Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Hi All

Been new to the sport was just wondering with regards to a slight issue regarding HFT compitition. I have an ileostomy bag and find lying down to shoot an issue should I enter a competition are there ways around this should I need to lie down. I have been told that I would be able to kneel. Could someone confirm this before I get my hopes up as I really would like to be very involved with the sport together with the wife. Thanks for any responses

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

It would really depend on what type of HFT you are planning to shoot but I doubt many clubs/series would have much of a problem with you kneeling, the only problem you are likely to have is many courses have prone only shots which may not be visible from the kneeling or standing position.

3. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Hi Buffalo

Welcome to STB mate - and good luck with your HFT ambitions. It's a great sport.

Most targets are "free choice" - you can take these prone, kneeling or standing.

I believe you are allowed to take the "prone only" shots kneeling or standing, if there is a good reason for doing so. I expect one of the longer-standing shooters will be along soon hopefully to confirm this.

Looking forward to meeting you on the circuit before too long.

4. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Scooby beat me to it...! Good luck.

5. Buffalo

Buffalo Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Thanks for that. As mentioned hopefully someone with in depth knowledge regarding this type of issue will respond.

Furthermore my wife and I have been welcomed with open arms from the people ad staff at Kibworth Range which only makes the enthusiasm and experience more wonderful.

6. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  7. Darron

Darron Trainee Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Millride FTC
    Hi Buffalo, have you considered FT (Field Target)? we don't shoot any targets in the prone position, only sitting, kneeling and standing.

Good luck with whichever discipline you choose im sure you will be accommodated.

8. Buffalo

Buffalo Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Thanks Big Nikko as my wife and I are new to the sport I was unaware of the fact that you had another discipline FT as you have just mentioned. Thanks for that will look into it.

9. Altx

Altx Member

Club:
    Castle FT Club
    FT

There are a few FT clubs near you I am sure they will accommodate. If not castle Ft club is nr J26 m1, not a million miles from you and accepts visitors Sunday mornings Whichever discipline you chose I am sure you will enjoy it. All the best

10. Darron

Darron Trainee Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Millride FTC
    Defo give Castle FTC a try they are a good bunch

11. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I don't think the problem for HFT, for you, is just that the odd prone only shots may not be easily shot kneeling due to obstacles in the way of the target from the kneeling position.

The prone position, especially the HFT style prone position, is quite stable on hold. So HFT courses have lots of small and very small kill sizes. It would be very difficult for an established shooter to try and get a decent score not shooting prone and taking all shots kneeling and standing. So, with respect to you and your wife, you may find it very difficult knocking many down on a decent HFT course shooting mainly kneeling.

So I think FT is probably going to interest you more if you can't shoot prone.

It's a shame though if you don't get to experience HFT. It's a great sport and the people make it.

Is it not possible for you to experiment with prone with a rubber or foam ring around your bag to see if you are comfortable with that? I'm sure most HFT marshalls would be fine with that ( official confirmation would be from Scooby or Sparky on here ).

You and yours will enjoy HFT or FT. It's just a shame if you don't give HFT a chance. You can do both.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  12. Buffalo

Buffalo Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Thanks for that skires. We would like to stick with HFT and the current club as we enjoy as you mentioned the people within the club even though it is 45 drive away. Hopefully Scooby or Sparky could comment on your comment regarding the rubber or foam ring which I shall definitely give it a try.

We have a comp at the club this Saturday so I shall report after this. Once again thanks

13. stillwater

stillwater Active Member

Club:
    KSG, Misfits
    We do have at least two over competitors at Kibby that take all of their shots from the kneeling or standing position,
    I try my best to cater for them when I set the course out.
    I am hopeful that if i am allowed to carry on putting the comps on next season that we will have a dedicated kneel/standing class.
    Also our Xmas shoot on the 12th Dec is a fun gamble shoot where you score more points for knocking targets over kneeling or standing.
    Come along on Sat and give it a go.
    I like to think we are all inclusive so happy for you to try anything that helps you shoot.
    I'm more than happy to go round with you both and give you some pointers,

ATB

Greg

14. Buffalo

Buffalo Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    Thanks Greg. I found that using a small tripod camping chair worked well except besides the fact it kept sinking into the mud which made it quite difficult to concentrate on the shot but did not hurt the health issue. Was at the end of the year last gathering and good fun it was, thanks. Looking forward to next years meets.

Regards

Wayne