Inconsistant TX200.

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by zooma, Mar 14, 2020.

1. zooma

zooma Member

Club:
    Rossendale Model Target Club
    I have a TX200 that will not shoot consistently and I would like some idea about what to try first to find the problem so I can "sort" it.

The rifle is a full length .177 TX200 in excellent condition that is well "run-in" and shoots very smoothly ,but it cannot hold a tight group without throwing a pellet way out of the park now and again.

Changing the pellets makes no difference to this problem as although each pellet type may give a better or worse group, the rifle will still throw an individual (or a small number of pellets) way out of the group.

I am testing the rifle whilst bench resting it at 10 metres (hardly a massive challenge) with a good scope, so I am confident that when this rifle throws pellets it is the rifle and not the technique that has failed.

I have tested two TX200HC under identical circumstances and get consistently perfect results over a large number of shots so I can tell that this particular TX200 is different and is not performing correctly!

The only thing I have noticed is that the safety catch button on the trigger block does not always engage every time the rifle is cocked, but every time that the safety button needs to be pushed off before the shot can be taken is probably going to be a "good" shot, whereas shots taken when the safety button fails to engage are often flyers. This could just be coincidence?

I am going to swap a trigger unit block (complete) from my TX200HC and try it. I don't see why it should make a difference, but as it only takes a couple of minutes to swap them over, I may as well give it a try.

2. Packa

Packa Member

Club:
    PARC
    Firstly is the action tight in the stock? Secondly is this the trigger unit you had refurbished at AA?

3. fireblade

fireblade FT Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Clean the barrel thoroughly.

4. panaman

panaman New Member

Club:
    AOFA
    Has your gun the original internals?
    If yes and it is inconsistent under a chrono check for dents or burrs on the seal. If the seal seams ok ckean and relube the internals. Only slightly MOS2 on seal.
    If it is ok under the chrono and is inconsistent just on target might be the barrel as mentioned. The worst scenario. Hope just a cleaning will help. Never faced that on a TX200 though.
    Always ignore first 2-3 shots.

5. zooma

zooma Member

Club:
    The rifle was in the original Air Arms stock and was a good fit - not tight.

I have just bought a nice used Warren Edwards stock and the action performs exactly the same way in that too, so I don't think it is the stock fit causing the problem.

I will take a look at the safety button to see why it is sticking sometimes - it probably just needs a clean and a small drop of oil.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  6. zooma

zooma Member

Club:
    I will give the barrel a good clean with a pull-through this morning.

7. zooma

zooma Member

Club:
    I will be stripping the rifle today and checking all the internals.

8. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    Breach seals?

ksts100 likes this.
  9. Packa

Packa Member

Club:
    PARC
    What I meant was are the bolts tight? Starting with the trigger housing? If the main bolt is too tight ( finger tight then a nip with a spanner is al it needs ) it can cause inconsistencies, also if the stock bolt is not tight enough the action will creep forward till it settles .

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It sounds like the rod isn't engaging/releasing properly. Is it custom?

11. zooma

zooma Member

Club:
    As far as I know it is a standard rifle with TbT spring guide and top hat.

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I'm not familiar with them 1st hand but just check there's enough room for it to cock without the spring...if the hat and guide don't allow that you could be on the cusp of not engaging properly. When you say it doesn't pop the safety out, will it refuse to do it or does it just take abnormal effort?

NeilM likes this.
  13. hmangphilly

hmangphilly warm ember

Could be just caked up with grease

14. zooma

zooma Member

Club:
    I have completely stripped my TX200 this afternoon and found some interesting things.

Firstly, the suspected dirty barrel was given some attention once the rifle was taken apart and treated to a good pull through using my Walther barrel cleaning kit. This is a good kit and the cleaning strands are white coloured and so they readily show any dirt.

The Walther pull though really packs the barrel and takes a fair bit of pulling to get it to pass through the barrel. There was very little staining on the first draw through the barrel and the second one was more or less clean with hardly any very slight marking to be seen on the clean white strands, so the barrel was cleaner than I expected it to be.

The piston was clean and the seal was intact with no chips or splits. The fitted TbT kit is one of the old style one piece types and had not fractured and was still doing a good job. The spring rolled nicely with no bumps so it was still straight and true - but I fitted a brand new Air Arms TX200 main spring as the rifle has been running a spring that is one turn shorter than standard to give around 10 ft/lbs, but I have heard that the TX200 seems to work better with a little more power so I may as well give this a go and see if I can see any changes - other than an increased cocking weight!

There was no excess grease anywhere, but everything was cleaned and the spring was given a very thin smear of Putoline motorcycle chain wax and everything thing else was given a really thin smear of TbT Bumslide and put back together.

I have just had a CD trigger unit returned from Air Arms so I thought I would fit that one rather than the one that I had been using as this one has just been given a factory fitness check !

Everything went back together perfectly (The TX has got to be one of the easiest air rifles to strip and reassemble), but I took the advice I read here about giving the main (TX410) retaining screw a slight "nip" with a spanner - I usually only finger tight this!

The action was put back into my "new to me" Warren Edwards stock, and it cocked OK, but I could not release the safety ratchet - the lever would not push in to release the ratchet. By keeping pressure on the cocking lever I was able to gently de-cock the rifle.

I stripped everything again and test fired the rifle mech afterwards and everything continued to work OK - but back in the stock the rifle refused to work again - so it was stripped for the third time, and again everything checked-out OK so I put it back together again - but this time I only finger tightened the TX410 retaining screw and this time the rifle fired OK when it was put back in the Warren Edwards stock.

The WE stock is only fastened to the mechanism by one M6 screw that is held in this same TX410 retaining screw and the two M5 screws that hold the fore stock on each side, so it would suggest that the TX410 retaining screw can not be "nipped-up".

To check this, I fitted a new TX200 mechanism to the same WE stock - and had exactly the same result (!) that was again only resolved by loosening the TX410 retaining screw and then the rifle would work properly again.

So I have learnt how "not" to fasten any TX mechanism into my Warren Edwards stock and I look forward to testing the mechanism on the club range this Tuesday evening to see if anything has changed to improve the inconsistent grouping - but I won't do too much testing until after I have put a couple of hundred pellets through it to give it a chance to settle down again.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    pbrown and RobF like this.
  15. zooma

zooma Member

Club:
    I did notice that when the action was fitted back into the WE stock again, the safety button did not pop on every time.

This needs further investigation as this time I was using a totally different trigger unit (!) but I had the same problem , and if this is in any way related to the inconsistent accuracy then I have not really solved the problem I was trying to fix!

..........time will tell..........

16. Packa

Packa Member

Club:
    PARC
    Normally the action tube will not be 100% true if it locks up when the trigger block/ Stock bolt screw is over tightened, when I say a nip I literally mean just so as cant undo with fingers as it will move other wise in the stock and give POI issues. My Bam has two extra bolts that hold the spring tension, the stock bolt is used just for the stock. Glad you seemed to have found the issue? and hope it resolves it? pictures???? stock.

Regards to the safety button? are you getting all three ABTM notches when cocking? ( MKIII ) some you have to give it a bit extra? lever. But I polish the button so as it holds just off the sears when cocked, if this makes sense?.

17. zooma

zooma Member

Club:
    Yes, I am getting all three ABTM notches OK.

18. fireblade

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Check that the stock underlever cut out is allowing the lever to fully engage.

RobF likes this.
  19. fireblade

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Also adding the slightly longer spring could also stop it cocking fully.

20. Lucky4

Lucky4 Member

Club:
    Black cats,riflemans mendip