In Europe, is the Optisan Viper Scope line available in silver finish?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by DFWdude, Nov 3, 2014.

1. DFWdude

DFWdude New Member

I want to buy an Optisan Viper 4-16x 50mm scope for Field Target, preferably with a brushed aluminum finish.

Given the periodic discussion of heat retention affecting scopes during competition, I wonder if the Vipers sold in Europe are sold in either black or silver finish? I would think the silver colour would reflect sunlight and hence absorb less heat than a conventional black finish (on any scope).

I see that the very expensive Schmidt & Bender and March scopes are available in brushed aluminum finish.

The Optisan scopes are just now gaining popularity in the U.S. While you folks in Europe have had far more experience with the MTC and Optisan Vipers. So I ask about the finishes available in Europe, thinking that Optisan has catered more to your needs.

Does anyone here have a silver Optisan Viper, and if so, from where did you buy it?

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I haven't seen or used that particular scope but I can almost certainly guarantee IT will be useless for FT.
    X16 magnification is too low to rangefind with. You need a bigger magnification, x32 as a minimum IMO.

3. rich

rich Active Member

Ever one to create a low cost solution :rolleyes:, I made a reflective cover for one of my FT scopes that used to "move" when it got hot.

I used a replacement cover for an ironing board. Do you have the same name for this device in the US? The fold-up narrow table that the clean laundry is pressed on.

The cover was quite inexpensive and one cover provided enough material for several scope sleeves. The base material is like a thin foam with a metallised backing.

4. DFWdude

DFWdude New Member

Thanks for your off-topic comment. I shoot in the U.S. where we have a classification called "Hunter." This class is limited to scopes set to 12X maximum. So we must use other means to rangefind beyond 30-35 yards.

Whether in the U.S. or Europe, I imagine we all share the same challenge in shading our scopes from the sun. That was my question.

5. DFWdude

DFWdude New Member

Now there's an idea. Yes, we have ironing boards is the U.S, and similar covers for them. I'll look into that. Thanks.

6. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Hi and welcome to STB

I had a small input into the SCB reticle used in the MTC range of scopes (the floating cross in the centre) and was given a 4-16x50 Viper by way of thanks (albeit in black)

I vaguely remember that the 4-16x50 Viper was available in Silver at that time although it doesn't seem to be an option now from what I can find on the web.

I'm not too sure what the rules are for hunter division ( is anyone? :) ) over on your side of the pond, but the issue of temperature sensitivity will be dependant on what method you intend to use for range estimation.

Temperature sensitivity seems to be a problem that is unique to range finding by parallax adjustment (a purpose that most scopes aren't designed for) so if you're not range finding by parallax adjustment then you won't have a problem with a black scope anyway.

For example, if you're bracketing (I believe you call it 'milling' over there) then temperature sensitivity won't be a problem at all.

If you could outline the rules regarding scopes for Hunter division - you've said it's max 12x mag, are you allowed to adjust parallax at all or is there a limit - i.e. you can only adjust parallax between lanes etc.

Are you allowed to adjust magnification during an event?

Are you allowed to adjust the elevation turret during an event?

Do you use bracketing and what do you bracket on? Kill zone size / faceplate etc?

Do you use any other methods of rangefinding inlolving the scope?

All the best
    Brian

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Your first sentence, i will quote you, "...for Field Target", sorry for my off topic reply but perhaps it might help you find your answer if your more specific in future.

A roll of tin foil will work just as well as silver annodising for Hunter as you are not allowed to use the parralax function to rangefind. In fact a black scope will be just as useful because the heat only affects the parralax and not your zero.

Anyway, best of luck and happy shooting in your 'Hunter' class Field Target with your x16 mag scope.

8. DFWdude

DFWdude New Member

This is interesting to hear. I've read that you Brits had a hand in developing the MTC range of scopes intended for FT use. I really like the SCB type of reticle, because it can provide more aiming points than a conventional mil-dot, and can also be used for bracketing. SCB seems designed for FT, so your thoughts seem to confirm this.

I have a new RAW TM1000 on order for delivery in January. It will have a silver finish on the metal bits. So I am looking for the Viper in silver, in part for the aesthetics. But mostly for (what I imagine) it's lighter colour to reflect sunlight and minimize heat absorption. Maybe this is a myth?

Yes. Parallax adjustment (focus rangefinding) is the primary means to estimate distances in the shooting position. Of course, at 12x, it's usefully accurate only out to 30-35 yds.

One is allowed to adjust magnification, as long is the maximum setting used is 12X. For example, on a forced position lane (standing or kneeling), some will lower magnification to 6x or 8x to minimize the unsupported wobble. Outside these lanes, most will set the scope to 12x and leave it there to avoid rangefinding confusion.

Not while at the line shooting. If a scope wanders off POA, one can chase it between lanes wtih turret adjustments.

Yes. Focus rangefinding is useful in the 12x game out to 30-35 yards, depending on lighting conditions. Beyond this range, I will use bracketing charts to measure faceplates, mounting bases of common widths, etc. I have tried bracketing KZ sizes, but at a maximum of 12x, this is too challenging in most cases.

None that I am aware of.

9. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    The 4-16x50 Viper I had would range find by parallax adjustment very well out to about 45 yards on 16x mag - I'd imagine it would be accurate enough for your purposes out to 30/35 yards on 12x mag.

Temperature sensitivity of the scope only really affects it's parallax adjustment range finding. I'm sure you'll find people who will tell you that when the temperatures hit 34 degrees they noticed that their POI changed and came to the sweeping conclusion that it must have been a problem with their scope. What they won't have thought about though is the difference in air density, the differences in heat expansion on the different types of metal used in the construction of their rifle and a number of other atmospheric parameters have an effect on exterior ballistics.

There's a slight language barrier you might have already noticed too.. over here FT (Field Target) and HFT (Hunter Field Target) are shot on different courses with different rules. So yes, the SCB reticle was designed with FT in mind, its the HFT version of FT that was in mind, not the FT version of FT ( if that makes sense :D ).

Personally, based on your requirements I don't believe you'll see any difference between a black viper and a silver one, but why not drop Gary / Sammie an email at support@mtcoptics.com and they'll tell you if a Silver 4-16x50 exists.

10. Craig-P

Craig-P Member

If you have no luck finding a Viper ( I think they may well be discontinued in the silver finish ), then the Genesys 5-20x50 is definitely available in the silver finish. Another idea would be a Leupold in a silver finish with the Varmint Hunter reticle.

I'll see what else I can find when I get in from work this evening for you.

Good luck, Craig

11. DFWdude

DFWdude New Member

I've looked at the Genesys, but it doesn't have the SCB reticle, and I like the turret adjustments on the Viper better. Actually the Viper has exactly everything I'm seeking. I just wish I could get it in silver (My new RAW TM1000 will be in silver finish).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  12. Craig-P

Craig-P Member

Hydro-dipping or Cerakote may well have to be your answer then mate