If you are a BFTA Instructor/Coach, will you become an NSRA member?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Oct 28, 2011.

?

Will you join the NSRA to keep your qualification

Poll closed Feb 5, 2012.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If you are a BFTA Instructor/Coach, will you become an NSRA member to continue coaching/instructing?

2. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Already NSRA member

3. CoolId

CoolId New Member

Actually - no-one has asked me to join

Regards

Dave

4. rich

rich Active Member

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but it's also worth noting that to continue instructing or coaching NSRA requires you to have a current CRB check in place, and if that CRB check has been obtained via a third party, NSRA will not accept it, and will require you to pay for another one obtained through them. I find that odd, as my "criminal record" is my "criminal record" and it doesn't matter how many times the same questions are asked by different people, the answer will always be the same.:)

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    This is the same with many CRB's, not just the NSRA. It's an overhang from the proposed register debacle when the gov proposed everyone coming in contact with children on any organisational level should be CRB'd.

6. rick

rick Member

If I remember correctly there are 2 levels of CRB checks, a basic level to show you are honest and a more indepth check to show you are fit to deal with young persons. That said when you type a name into the police national computer it lists all your conviction, cautions and flashes up if you have or are suspected of violent or sexual offences.

A CRB check is not is not proof of honesty, it simply means those who arn't have not been caught. Look at the recent cases involving child minders, they all had CRB checks.

7. rich

rich Active Member

Those of us who give our services as instructors and coaches freely and without payment are classed as volunteers and the CRB makes no charge in our case.

Volunteers will receive a CRB check free of charge. The CRB defines a volunteer as 'a person who performs any activity which involves spending time, unpaid (except for travelling and other approved out-of-pocket expenses), doing something which aims to benefit someone (individuals or groups) other than or in addition to close relatives'.
    unquote

8. Rutty

Rutty New Member

Correct, but that is not the whole story. For a voluntary organisation to obtain CRB checks certain systems must be in place to ensure the proper handling and administration of the checks. For large bodies; e.g. The Scout Association; who process thousands of enquiries a year it is feasible to process the checks in house and absorb the cost in the administration budget. By comparison the NSRA obtains a handful of CRB checks each year and the cheapest way to obtain and process them is via a 3rd party provider, in their case DMG.

Whilst Disclosure England/Scotland may provide the information free of charge, obtaining a CRB check is far from being a no cost exercise.

Rutty

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. AndyS

AndyS Member

Club:
    Newbury, CSFTA
    I'm already an NSRA member