I thought the Airgunning community was all good

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by BigBluey, Aug 3, 2010.

1. BigBluey

BigBluey New Member

Well let this be a warning to anyone who thinks that the world of Airgunning is a great place to be.
    Nearly everyone I have meet over the past year have been 100%, always helpful and patient, helping me learn the rules and techniques of HFT, and I really do thank all of them.
    However on Saturday it had been arranged for over a week that I was due to swap my BSA R10 for a Daystate MK4s. Not mentioning no names but he is registered on here and the BBS, but is now banned on the BSAOG.
    Anyway back to the tale of how to waste a week of your life, and cost yourself money.
    Arrangements had been made for the swap to happen on Saturday between Milton Keynes and Bletchley, a good 2 hour drive for me. The other party was going to meet me there as he was travelling from WR10, and had buisness near MK to complete. All sounded great.
    He requested a different stock and a standard shroud, so i pulled my R10's apart to accomadate the needs of the other party. So R10 as he wanted and scope all removed there I was waiting for this guy to show up.
    He emailed me at 21:00hrs the night before saying everything is go.
    Whilst waiting for him to show, my phone goes, its the other party, must be stuck in traffic.
    OH NO he wasn't, he was still at home.
    Said he had some good news and some bad news, bad news is he wasn't coming, he had gone into work that morning and apartantly part of the company he works for had gone bust, but he had not been laid off. Sorry to here that but whats that got to do with me (harsh I know but a deal is a deal). Tells me he now wants to sell the gun instead of swapping. As i pointed out, here i was waiting for him, my other R10 now needing setting up again, and for nothing. He told me then that he was going to advertise the Daystate as he needs the money, well call me old fashioned here, but surely he should have kept his word and swapped rifles and sold the JB'd R10. After all he still had his job, and nothing else had changed.
    So I headed home feeling rather dejected, and very angry as well as stupid for being strung along like this.
    I waited till the Sunday before emailing him, and surprise no reply.
    So basically 4 hours of driving, wasted fuel and time, 2 guns now that need to be re setup and a Sunday comp missed as well.
    So the moral of the story is don't get taken in by people like this, I truly thought I was a good judge of character, and now I will always feel somewhat let down by the sport I have come to love.

What about the good news I here you cry, no good news for him, however, being a Moderator on the BSAOG i did get the satisfaction of making sure no one on the BSAOG gets taken in by this person again.

So if you see a Daystate MK4s R/H .177 Serial No. 3425 being offered for sale or swap, please think twice about wasting your time.
    And a message to that person, thank you for wasting my time and I shall be letting all the forums just how you think you can treat people.
    Mods of the STB, if you want details of this person, please feel free to PM me

Regards
    Simon

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    admin looking into

3. RobF

Club:
    Just on a more positive note... there's nearly 1400 members here, so the ratio of sales problems is low, this being the 1st one.

4. Andy006

Andy006 Member

Thats just well out of order. He should now re-emburse you for your fuel, your time and for just messing you about. I would not want to ever do a deal with this person so plese pm me his name so I can stay clear of his sales. Arrangements had been made and he should stick to them. Bad form and just not on.:mad:

5. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

that is just bang out of order mate :mad:

please PM me the user name - you should be reimbursed the costs

6. oldybutgoody

oldybutgoody Member

Club:
    Glevum
    Time Waster

Hi bigbluey

I know no one likes to name and shame, but consider it. This could prevent another member of our airgunning fraternity suffering at the hands of this MEMBER.

7. RobF

Club:
    I think before we start doing a witch hunt it would be fair if the other party responded.

I have pm's from both, and am awaiting a reply.

So i suggest we leave it there for the moment.

I'm not making any judgement on who's at fault, and indeed it may not even be possible to do so. The item deal, as i understand it was done elsewhere. As ever, the board can only serve to be a notice to sales and wants, it can never be the mechanism, so it is unfortunately down to the parties involved to try and secure a successful deal.

If people wish to enquire on a private basis as to who the deal was with, I cannot stop that obviously... but i'd rather not have the board turn into a witch hunting area :)

There is a mechanism between many of the boards to alert other admins of boards as to potential problems with members, so once highlighted a problem may well appear on the radar of others.

8. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Well said Rob, lets leave it at that.

9. BigBluey

BigBluey New Member

Message of thanks

Rob has very kindly looked into this, and matters are in hand. Don't think i'll be getting the gun or any reinbursement, but knowing that the word has gone out to the Admin teams of various Airgun sites, and they will be keeping there eyes peeled is good enough for me.
    This was never about shaming someone into submission or having a witch hunt, it was purely a warning and an eye opener to everyone who reads it.
    I would like to thank everyone who has given there support via PM's and posts.
    Now as Rob says, it is time to let the powers that be on these sites do there stuff and make sure we are all protected from such people.

Regards
    Simon

10. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Simon, could you please PM me the name of the chap please. I like to keep my own list of who not to deal with.

11. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

In the interest of fair play Chris I suggest that you listen to the other guys story.
    Getting laid off is not all fun. :rolleyes:

12. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Does loosing your job remove your ability to make a phone call?

13. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    Can't read anywhere in the OP that the other guy was laid off. Just that part of the company he works for has gone bust and that's it!

14. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hmmmm, not sure what that has to do with me?...i don't give a stuff.

I'm sure everyone (Including me) would have been very tolerant and understanding had the chap got in touch to explain the circumstances. Poor show old chap.:eek:

15. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Chris, this is why I advised hearing both sides. :):mad::):mad::mad:
    I misread the OP as I thought the guy was laid off. :eek:

Makes no sense his employer going bust and him not being laid off. :confused:

16. Bernie

Bernie Love to Bracket

Club:
    GuiseleyFTC
    Tut Tut Tut

17. RobF

Club:
    Guys, there really is no benefit to the situation in falling out over this... it doesn't really help resolve the original issue :)

18. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Ahhhh, but it's great to cross swords with Ken:D:D:D:D

19. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

What ever gets you through the day Chris. :D

20. RobF

Club:
    I assume that's not prison slang :D