I got me an anemometer (wind measurera thingy)

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by FUBAR, Sep 9, 2009.

1. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

Gonna do some tests using my new gadget , i will be shooting exacts .177 at all ranges right out to 65yrds :cool:

now all i need is a nice day with a mixed bag of wind .

some wind facts so far

moderate; 0-5mph

fresh;5-10mph

strong;10-20mph

3-5mph; breeze can be just felt on the face.
    5-8mph; small leaves on trees move constantly.
    8-12mph;loose paper/dead leaves move around.
    12-15mph;small trees starting to sway.

watch this space for the rest of the test ,will conclude soon .

regards FUBAR.

2. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Kinda reminds me of that gadget Derek has got on his phone for measuring wind , yes it worked but it was not indication of the winds strength 45 yards away . :rolleyes:

Dave

3. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

Ah well its the wind closest to you ie from where the shot begins that has the most effect on the shot taken .general rule of thumb dave is the the wind that you feel around you is going to be the same 45yrds away . after all 45yrds may seem along way in terms of shooting an air rifle but in terms of weather its nothing really . besides i think that dereks windycator on his phone is more of a gimmik . were as this little gem is the real deal . it records max wind speed /current wind speed /average wind speed , it also does this in m/s ft/min/ knots/km'hr/ mph .it also does a temperature reading in c or f . pretty :cool: eh:D

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Fair enough a 5mph wind hitting the pellet at 10y will move a pellet at 45y more than a 5mph wind hitting it at 30y & it's a good effect to keep in mind but it's just one small factor in trying to judge the wind.

I've shot quite a few grounds in FT & HFT & your rule of thumb doesn't hold out for a lot of them, if you factor in terrain, trees & any other obstacles the pellet can go anywhere:( it can move more or less that the wind at your face or even move the opposite direction.

You can use the wind at your face as a guide but it truely only lets you know what the wind is doing at your face, you need to use other factors such as:

Grass, Tree, leaf movement
    String movement
    Wind trends as you are waiting to shoot
    Face plate hits & misses
    Listen to what other people are saying (take with a pinch of salt)
    Even seeing whether a new starter hit a target can help.

The main thing in getting better at judging wind is you need to practice shooting in wind, just remember it's never to windy to practice. As you gain more & more experience shooting in wind it will become easier & easier to judge but it will still stick it to you now & again:D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  5. Kingplinker

..............cheat :cool:

6. Feral

Feral New Member

The amount of wind you were creating on Sunday at Horsham Nick (see below) I would hope you opted for the ruggedised JCB or Land Rover version of the analometer! :D:p;)

[​IMG]

7. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

yes :eek: i apologies for my bottom half it has a mind of its own :D

8. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

yep i get what your saying mate but i will be using this on more of a hunting front then h.f.t . im not bad at reading wind (i think anyaways) . im hoping i will be able to get some sort of proof interms of accurate reading via the laser range finder /anemometer/ good pellets /a zeroed gun / and some wind and lots of paper targets . watch this space ;)

9. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Good luck

I've got an anemometer and I did some experiments a few years ago.. my conclusion was it was next to useless in giving me an idea about what the wind was doing.

A traditional FT style windicator does a better job and you can see it while you're looking through your scope. (it's alot cheaper too :D)

10. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

You'd get more accurate results measuring speed/direction at 5/10y intervals. Otherwise you're just guessing at what the wind is doing elsewhere.
    Good luck.

Ryan

11. Kingplinker

see post 2 again :D:D:D:D

12. martin c

martin c New Member

dont forget your gps,avo,megger and decimeter , of course being a decent shot might help :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  13. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

there is always a stickiong point :D

14. hawk1

hawk1 New Member

Club:
    Harsham Hawks HFT
    IL have you know Mr botting that my windecater on my phone has every thing that yours one does so there:p
    And it came free.:D

Bring it to the club and we will see.:cool:

15. Feral

Feral New Member

Derek don't challenge Nick to a 'wind off' trust me you'll lose if he has half the form he had Sunday!:D

16. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
  17. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

well im hoping for wind tomarrow, iv'e managed to convince my dad that sitting behind a stack of hay bales with a windy cater and a walky talky is safe while i take shots 45 yrds away:D , i will be using paper targets to see how much a pellet moves from centre at different ranges with different wind speeds . im really hoping this will come together and hopfully i will have some pics to post up when im done . i was actually told by someone on here that its the wind closest to you the made the biggest difference so we shall see hopfully whats what by the end of the day.
    cheers:)

18. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

Hi guys ,

well the photo shows the difference between close wind and and wind at distance in this case 25yrds.
    the actual black centre mark is 12mm , the first three shots taken landed centre mass with a 1-3mph wind on the targets position and no wind from my position . the next 2 shots taken where shot with a 5.1mph wind speed on the targets position 1/2 factor with no wind on my position.both holes are 6.75 mm from centre.
    my secondry aim point below again gives me a three shot cente mass with a 1-3mph wind on the targets position , the 2 other shots taken are 14.52 mm from centre with a 5mph wind speed on my position and no wind on the targets position. to me this sort of pushes me more in the direction of relying on reading the wind closest to me ..

in theory if a shot taken @ 25yrds can be moved 15mm with a 5mph wind at 1/2 factor then a wind @10mph would push the pellet a full 30mm at the same distance . :confused: is this right ? is this how the mathes would work or am i missing something :confused:

cheers lads.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009