HW100T or Huntsman Regal HR

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Martin D, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Martin D

Martin D New Member

Hi all. Just after a your thoughts!
    Started shooting approx 5 months ago and have a HW97, which I got to try and learn the basics and correct techniques for shooting. This is a fantastic gun and I am more than happy with both its performance, and my progress.
    I've just been out of action for a few weeks following a total Knee Replacement, my second, and have only managed to shoot a few times in my garden at home.
    After seeing the surgeon again yesterday he has given me the all clear and signed me off so that I can drive again. This means that I can start going back to Doncaster airgun range again, which is where I do most of my shooting. I've decided to add to my collection and purchase a PCP so that I can compete inthe monthly bench rest comps with a pcp as well as with my 'springer'.
    Got it down to a couple, I think. HW 100T or Daysrate Huntsman Regal HR.
    I was just wondering what your thoughts were on these?
    Will hopefully get back to range on Thursday, if I can get up the stairs lol, and maybe there will be someone there with either/both of the guns or just some advice.

Cheers
    Martin

2. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    I have owned a Regal and at the moment I have 2 100kt I have also owned a 100k. All of them are good gun's the 100k full size gives the most shots out of them all.
    For me it would have to be the HW all day long they are just a great all round gun.
    You need to shoot them both to get a feel for them before you make up your mind.

Martin D likes this.
  3. Halesowen Kid

Halesowen Kid Member

Hi Martin,

I have the Hw100 Laminate and the Daystate Regal HR both in .177 and I purchased the HW100 about 6 months ago and the Regal about 6 weeks ago.

The engineering quality of both guns are excellent and the finish too.

My personally preferences on both rifles are....

HW100 (Standard)
    LIKES -
    Side lever action
    Adjustable cheek piece
    Trigger action
    Can not double load
    Multi magazine 14 shot system
    Single shot loader

HW100
    DISLIKES -
    Seems a little pellet fussy, but still testing other makes
    Weight (Rifle only) 3.8kg

Regal HR
    LIKES -
    Not really pellet fussy, but loves AA Diabolo Field 8.44g
    Trigger action
    Multi magazine 10 shot system
    Weight (Rifle only) 2.75kg

Regal HR
    DISLIKES -
    Can be double loaded
    Daystate single shot tray

When it comes to accuracy at this present time, the Regal is ahead of the HW by a short nose. But when the HW finds the right pellet I'm sure they will be both equal.

At the end of the day it will be down to what you prefer, but either rifle will do you proud I'm sure as they are both superb weapons.

In future stick to shooting and leave out the hop scotch and arse kicking competitions....

Enjoy

Jesim1 and Martin D like this.
  4. Roger Pardy

Roger Pardy Member

Club:
    None
    I was lucky to put a few pellets through a hw100 last weekend. Nice, very easy to use. It had a single shot tray which I really liked.
    Not shot a regal, I have a Mk1 huntsman so can't compare.

Martin D likes this.
  5. Martin D

Martin D New Member

Gone and done it!! Got myself a HW100T today. Scope on but not had chance to try it yet. Hope to get to range tomorrow.

Halesowen Kid and Roger Pardy like this.
  6. Halesowen Kid

Halesowen Kid Member

Enjoy, I'm sure you will....

7. Martin D

Martin D New Member

Quick update. Thanks for everyone's input- much appreciated.
    Took the new HW100T to the indoor range today and zeroed scope etc and put about 200 pellets through it. Wow!! Really impressed with everything about it. Only tried one sort of pellets so far, JSB Exact, as I was just trying to get a few through the barrel before some more serious pellet Testing, I've quite a few types to have a go with.
    I'll probably put a few more tomorrow and maybe clean the barrel, as I usually do after getting a 'new' gun. Then on with the testing to find 'the one' that's best.

Roger Pardy likes this.
  8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Martin, JSB exacts batch 46, 7 and 5 seem really good at the moment.

Or get along to Bri's range in Donny as he always tries to source good batches and will give you sound advice.

Martin D likes this.
  9. Martin D

Martin D New Member

Cheers. I usually use JSB exacts anyway. I usually shoot at Brian's in Doncaster and have been there twice now with the new gun. I usually get my pellets off him and the last two batches have been really good, (54's &. 27's) in both my HW 97 and now the HW100T. Can't recommend Doncaster Airgun Range highly enough. Everyone there, staff and shooters, fantastic and very helpful and encouraging.