HW100 questions

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by mick47, Apr 22, 2013.

1. mick47

mick47 New Member

Ok a few newbe questions
    I recently brought a S/h HW100 with an FX cylinder and MTC Viper 10x44 scope.
    I've joined a local club (Dowry Hill) and had a go at bench rest shooting at 25yds and am quite taken with it. So to my questions:
    My scope is perhaps not up to the job and I'd like to upgrade to something like a 10-30X56 but I'm not liking the prices, even for the middle of the road makes, been on the lookout for a 2nd hand example, but they are thin on the ground so can anyone offer any advice on whats any good at the cheaper end. Or would I be wasting my money?

Next question: Up to now I've filled my cylinder while its attached to the gun, if I unscrew the cylinder does it let out the remaining air or can I detach it to refill.?

2. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

With an FX tube you should be able to remove it, I certainly can on all mine. :)

No idea on the scope sadly as its not my cup of tea, but would've thought a second hand Weaver T36 would be ideal for Bench rest?

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    +1 for the Weaver T36 very good starter scope for BR.

4. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    +2 for the Weaver .

5. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    You say that you'd like to upgrade to something like a 10-30X56 scope.
    That sounds like you have been looking at the Hawke scope. I may be wrong but if I'm not, do not, I repeat, do not buy the Hawke 10-30X56 scope. When I got into shooting everyone said to buy second hand stuff and to listen to experienced shooters. Well, I didn't and wasted £370 on a Hawke 10-30X56 scope.
    Do what I didn't do and buy second hand and listen to experience rather than advertising.
    All the best
    JJ

6. mick47

mick47 New Member

Thanks for the imput lads, I'll bide my time and look out for a decent s/h one.

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    this may help... although it's aimed at FT scopes it should help with a few high mag scope options

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3915

the problem with cost is that large objective glass is expensive to make work with high mag scopes, because the mag pushes the quality of the glass. Couple that with the fact that high mag scopes aren't the mainstream for most scope manufacturers and you can see why the prices climb.
    That said, 2nd hand there are some cheaper options. Normal catches apply with buying second hand, but if the normal precautions are taken then it could yield a good result.

8. RAIDER

RAIDER Member

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Hw100

First the standard HW tube will hold air as will the FX, who ever the S & B ones will dump all the air.
    As for scopes good deal on uttings at mo £398 FALCON T50 10-50X60 sunshades wheel top turret.
    thats what i have on mine.
    Im not connected to UTTINGS in any way.
    RAIDER