HW100 Match barrels

Discussion in 'Weihrauch' started by Mrben0, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Mrben0

Mrben0 New Member

Guys, I have been working on several HW100's over the years and based on the quality and reliability I decided to buy one for myself. my first was a pretty beat up spares or repair off Freeads. after much time and effort I got this old girl shooting beautifully, close to 100 shots at 11,7ft.lbs. no spike as it cam off the reg.

Then the problems started accuracy. i tried many different pellets and after re-crowning, cleaning and re-leading now have a reasonable barrel that will consistently group at 20mm groups at 40 yards, not good enough.

So I then bought a one year old action and a new CS700 stock and recommenced testing with this one, almost same results as the first. I then cleaned and re-leaded this barrel, low and behold sub 10mm groups at 40 yards with a variety of pellets. Happy Bunny. Very different to the first barrel?

Now upon speaking to various people, there are definitely good and bad barrels, it doesn't matter if its, Anschultz, Weihrauch, BSA or Lothar Walther .

My question is does anyone know of a "Match Grade" barrel for the HW100? by the way my latest testing has been using a single shot loader, that opens up a whole new discussion point comparing to magazines.

2. blacklab

blacklab Active Member

Club:
    nelson
    barrel

its a bit of a lottery with barrels its just luck if you get a good one, although from the factory they all come with one holers on the ticket, needle in haystack job

3. Mrben0

Mrben0 New Member

Hum, that is exactly what I thought.

4. hot pellet

hot pellet New Member

Club:
    villarubio
    I use hw 100 barrels in my fwb 800 and in my whiscombe and they are very very precise as anschutz barrels at least or better!!! The problem is that they works when are dirty

Juan

5. oyster

oyster Member

Club:
    Canterbury Airgun Club
    I have owned about five WH97 in .22, all had slightly different characteristics and poi results. I kept the best one.
    HW100 become more accurate as the balance between pellet weight, regulator pressure and hammer is set.
    My .22 HW100 does 10p groups at 50yds and is not too pellet fussy.
    There were some 'poor' HW100 barrels in late 2016 which Weihrauch acknowledged and offered exchanges.

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I still regret selling my HW100. It was a 2006 model pre AT model and the barrel was a good 'un! It would print thumbnail groups at 55 yards with JSBs all day long, or at least that is to say, as long as I could be ar$ed to shoot groups consistently.

In contrast to Juan above, that gun liked to be kept relatively clean; it needed a pull through every couple of tins to keep it on song.

My 97K is if anything more accurate, but doesn't need cleaning to keep it accurate.

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Yes, there will always be quality variation across barrels from any manufacture so to an extent it's a lottery.

What will very from one manufacturer to the next is the range that encompasses the best and worst barrels, plus the attitude of said companies / wholesalers when there is a problem.

FWIW I've found Walther to be consistently among the best barrels found on "middling" sporting / sub-£1k PCPs - usually very well finished internally, accurate and consistant in their quality. Unfortunately both BSA and HW seem to be having enormous problems with their barrel quality (terrible internal finish), not that either company will admit it. Hull Cartridge seem particularly unwilling to entertain the (many) suggestions that their barrels have an issues, so I'd certainly avoid new HW100s as the warranty apparently appears effectively to exclude accuracy problems, if HC's attitude is anything to go by.

Chambers offer Walther blanks off the shelf for around £120 IIRC, which need completely finishing (machining to fit the gun, crowning and bluing). I did consider that the Umarex "Walther" RM8 might be a good donor as I think it's fitted with a 16mm OD Walther barrel, however given the price point of the gun I'm not sure how good the barrel quality is likely to be compared to Walther offerings on more expensive guns (AA for example).

Another option might be to get an Air Arms MPR barrel (14mm OD) sleeved (if this is viable given the barrel's profile at the breech) as these are absolutely fantastic quality IME and not badly priced at around £130.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

or s200 barrel from knibbs and machine to fit.

as clover said , we too have had a few of the chambers LWs and not had a stinker yet

9. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Has anyone tried the 16mm CZ barrel that Sure Shot are selling?

10. hmangphilly

We got some blanks ( 2 off each ) but haven't decided what to use them on yet .
    suppose we could whizz one of the 16mm onto a steyr pretty quickly , but no 1 test pilot has been out of action and i'm rubbish at shootin'.

so sorry it's a watch this space .
    Reckon the borescope will be making an appearance once he's back in action

He's getting all revved up about bench rest though so it might be on the cards . And he's already got plans for some custom parts for it .
    Maybe he'll let me crown that full length 600mm Lw barrel that he's been using too. It's gotta come off the rifle 'cos it's gone rusty (bit like me ).

Pax were selling off some lw blanks recently .
    did any one get one of those ?

11. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Fingers crossed the CZs are good as a mate is probably getting one for his Steyr as the barrel on that has gone to pot and doesnt seem to group with anything.

Are those the LW barrels that are on a popular auction site?

12. hmangphilly

yes .
    I'm curious about them , but how many barrels does a fella need

13. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    One more, thats how many. :D

14. hmangphilly

Yeah fair point I better get a couple