Howdy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Burris, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Burris

Burris New Member

Names Bill. Grew up in a gunshop, been doing gunsmithing since 1962. Got into airguns in the late 60s. I've shot in a lot of different disciplines. I shot benchrest for quite a while. Airguns are more fun because it is more challenging. Miniature lead shuttlecocks are not the most stable of projectiles! Hope I can be an asset to the group. Bill

2. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Hello Bill, welcome to the forum mate.:)

3. Burris

Burris New Member

Thanks. I'm hungry, what's in the skillet?:p

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Hi Burris,

Welcome on board. Nice to see a bit of international flavouring :D

Cheers

Rob

5. Burris

Burris New Member

Thank you sir. I was born in the U.S. but my heart belongs to Scotland.

6. j.waterfield

j.waterfield Member

Club:
    Harriers and Old Pheasant Pen Wood Field Target
    Nice to hear someone from the good old U.S.A.

Hi

Nice to see you have joined the forum, for a bit of banter !

Do you shoot at 12 foot pounds (same as we do) or at the american legal limit ?

Welcome mate !

John Waterfield

7. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Can't be absolutely certain but it may be a Balti Jalfrazi mate.;)

8. Burris

Burris New Member

Well----- I shoot a Mac-1 USFT ( #26). Right now it is pushing JSB heavies at about 960fps, but it is set up for benchrest. I wish I knew where I could shoot hunter field target here. I think it would be a lot of fun. I have a lovely walnut Raider that would do the trick! Harder to shoot, of course, but isn't that the point? The harder something is to master, the sweeter the personal victory, at least for me. Bill

9. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

A bloke at my Club has a walnut Raider with some high class Russian optics mounted on top. He doesn't shoot the circuit anymore, just the club shoots & hunting. It's a pleasure having a go with it, really nice.
    I saw the US Mac-1's in Northern Ireland in the hands of Tim McMurray & Paul Cray, they draw a lot of interest.

10. Burris

Burris New Member

They look like something out of a star wars movie, do the not? I am a firmly grounded traditionalist , blue steel and walnut is the proper gun material. Having said that, when the originator sat me on the ground and laid one in my arms (after adjusting it to my body shape), it felt like I had been shooting it my whole life. I became one with the rifle, so to speak. I have let quite a few people shoot mine and they always express some misgivings that it looks awkward, once it is cradled in their arms however, a sudden grin of understanding lights their face. The usual comment is," It feels so natural". Genius of the design I suppose. My Raider is a Fac model but I think I am going to tone it down a bit. You chaps have taught me that 12ft/lbs can work in the field. Of course, I like having the option of more power,if I desire it. My Daystate MK.3 and Titan pneumatic, are real powerhouses, and absolute works of art,---but the rifle I shoot the most is an old BSA Airsporter MK.2 in .22! After a long day in the field, I wipe it down with affection, and put it in the corner with reluctance. It is a loyal and trusted companion and has never let me down. What more can I ask of a field gun? At any rate, glad to be here. Bill

11. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Hey Bill, if you fancy a bash at HFT give it a go at your club. Theres enough people here to help out with ideas and what have you. If you you've got targets and an airgun you can shoot HFT.:);) Welcome to the forum, like Rob says it's good to have an international flavour.:)

Ryan

12. Burris

Burris New Member

Thank you very much sir! If I want to indulge in HFT in my area, I'll have to start my own group. I have a dear friend who has 20 acres of property, but likes to have things his own way. If it wasn't his idea, it's no go! Too bad really, but some people never get over themselves. Oh well! I have another friend with just as much property, and a less selfish attitude, who wants to have fun shooting air guns. I think I have him convinced about HFT. He is a peach of a guy, and plays well with others. Once we get it up and running, I am going to invite my old friend to join us, but I'm sure he will decline. If he isn't center stage, he is not happy! I still value our friendship, but his selfish attitude gets old. Oh well. It takes all kinds. Thanks for the offer of advice on HFT! You'll probably regret it.:p Wish me luck! Bill

13. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Good luck Bill, you've got a good load of blokes on here to help you out. :)

Ryan

14. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Welcome, Bill!

There is a long tradition of excellent Indian food in the UK with lots of regional variations. "Balti" is a speciality of the asian restaurants in the West Midlands, whereas in West Yorkshire (where I'm from) the restaurants veer more toward the Kashmiri and Punjabi cuisine. Don't know if it's true but I heard "balti" is Hindi for "bucket" and thus it means a curry cooked up in a single pot. The skillet in the picture is actually a Karahi. :)
    Mmmm I'm hungry too now!

15. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Mostly right there matey but I think it's urdu for bucket rather than hindi. The story is that a Pakistani Restauranteur wanted some serving bowls or karahi's made by a local Seikh metal worker, one speaking only Punjabi with broken English & the other speaking only Urdu with similarly fractured English. As a result he ended up with, 'Eating Buckets' & the Balti was born! :)