How to remove Lg300 shroud??

Discussion in 'Walther' started by SnowBall, Apr 7, 2010.

1. SnowBall

SnowBall Member

Club:
    AZCFT Spain
    I want to remove the shroud in my walther... I know front part is glued with epoxi and you have to be a little bit brave to remove it... Can you tell me method to remove it with out any damage in the barrel?

I want to put a real air stripper on it, I will put some photos of it.

I ´m very happy with the original barrel so I don ´t want to put different one.

Any advice?? Thank you!

2. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    first remove barrel from the action. The front part of the shroud will be attached to the barrel the square section is not. Then using a heat gun heat up the outer shroud to break down the bonding material the barrel tapped out with a wooden dowel

Gary

3. -=ed

-=ed New Member

Just my 2cents, but I'd think it would take a heck of a heat gun to do this.

Scooby has suggested a torch while the barrel is hand rotated in a lathe.

FWIW IMHO YMMV YCMNR

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

That's true Ed, I always use a small blow lamp while the back end is supported & spinning slowly in a lathe. once the glue starts to smoke the shroud can easily be knocked off. to knock it off I have a 1" diameter piece of steel with a 15.5mm hole drilled in it, this slips onto the back end of the barrel before insertion into the lathe & allows you to slide it & knock the shroud off evenly.

I've used a wooden jawed vice to hold the barrel before & just stick a screwdriver into one of the shroud end holes to twist & remove but still with the blow lamp although I've never tried the heat gun.

Make sure you let the barrel cool fully before you touch it or lay it on anything though as the differential cooling could bend it

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  5. SnowBall

SnowBall Member

Club:
    AZCFT Spain
    Thank you!!!

I ´ll try this weekend.